• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    This may have been asked and answered and if so I apologize but.....will try FN scar 17s be banned come 10/1? I ask because I am thinking of purchasing one in FDE but it is on backorder for over 6 months. I can get a black one within a few months so if it is going to be banned then I would just go with the black one. If it is undetermined if it will be banned does anyone know when there will e definitive answers? Thanks

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    i dont believe it is banned by name but its features (folding stock, flash hider) along with a detachable magazine make it a copycat weapon and therefore it is banned in its standard configuration. At least thats how i read it.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    i dont believe it is banned by name but its features (folding stock, flash hider) along with a

Actually the PWS compensator isn't considered a muzzle flash reducer by the ATF.

Needless to say it's green, looks menacing, and has a plastic stock. BANNED!

ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    Actually the PWS compensator isn't considered a muzzle flash reducer by the ATF.

Needless to say it's green, looks menacing, and has a plastic stock. BANNED!

Does this mean I have to have it to my ffl by 10/1 or is it ok to show a purchase order showing the order was placed pre 10/1.

bnich82

African American w/a Gun!
    Dec 8, 2011
    Does this mean I have to have it to my ffl by 10/1 or is it ok to show a purchase order showing the order was placed pre 10/1.

I'm wondering the same thing but in regards to a layaway. From my understanding, the FN Scar wouldn't be banned due the PWS not being classified as a flash hider, but I rather error on the side of caution.

I have an out of state dealer that works with me on layaway terms, so I'm wondering if we do a layaway with an out of state dealer, if its still considered a purchase order? Also, I've heard that dealers won't be able to make the transfer after 10/1. Since the item isn't regulated, does that mean we can have it transferred to us via an out of state dealer same as us purchases a non-regulated item out of state from say Wal-Mart/Bass-Pro?

ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    I'm wondering the same thing but in regards to a layaway. From my understanding, the FN Scar wouldn't be banned due the PWS not being classified as a flash hider, but I rather error on the side of caution.

I have an out of state dealer that works with me on layaway terms, so I'm wondering if we do a layaway with an out of state dealer, if its still considered a purchase order? Also, I've heard that dealers won't be able to make the transfer after 10/1. Since the item isn't regulated, does that mean we can have it transferred to us via an out of state dealer same as us purchases a non-regulated item out of state from say Wal-Mart/Bass-Pro?

My problem is that there are different answers regarding if it is going to be banned. If it is not going to be banned I think you can have it shipped to your md ffl. I have the option of a black scar 17 which is about 20 weeks out (so it may get to my ffl by 10/1 or the fde (which I prefer) but probably wouldn't get to ffl until early 2014. If I know it is not going to be banned I will wait on the purchase as it is a lot of money to me. I never knew "I needed" it until I found out it may be banned.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    The FN SCAR 17 is not regulated and is cash and carry. It should not be affected by the ban, but your FFL might interpret it differently.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    The FN SCAR 17 is not regulated and is cash and carry. It should not be affected by the ban, but your FFL might interpret it differently.

Yes it will. Folding stock and a Flash Suppressor = BANNED! So they will need to either change the stock so it doesn't fold or retrofit a muzzle brake.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Yes it will. Folding stock and a Flash Suppressor = BANNED! So they will need to either change the stock so it doesn't fold or retrofit a muzzle brake.

Hold up. I thought only the current list of assault weapons would be banned after 10/1 and the copycat weapons would then become regulated.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Hold up. I thought only the current list of assault weapons would be banned after 10/1 and the copycat weapons would then become regulated.

Ummm no, copy cat weapons are banned 1 Oct 2013 (unless I read wrong?!?), since they are considered "assault weapons". No big deal, just eliminate one of the banned features.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Ummm no, copy cat weapons are banned 1 Oct 2013 (unless I read wrong?!?), since they are considered "assault weapons". No big deal, just eliminate one of the banned features.

Sorry, it's early and I haven't had my coffee yet.:crazy:

Do you know of any Md.laws or regulations that define or give guidance on what a flash suppressor is?

Kind of hard for them to ban something with that feature if they don't define what that feature is or does.

Never mind. It is right in SB281.

Better get my coffee before I post any more.:o

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie

It will depend on what is or is not considered a "flash suppressor". The FN SCAR has a folding stock and a muzzle brake. It is currently cash and carry. The SCAR is not a "copy" of anything.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    Fix the stock on it and you should be fine.

The folding stock is stupid on full-length barrel models anyway...that feature is really made more for SBRs to be used as PDWs.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Fix the stock on it and you should be fine.

The folding stock is stupid on full-length barrel models anyway...that feature is really made more for SBRs to be used as PDWs.

Exactly, this is not really a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom