• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/04/ryan-finn/new-smith-wesson-mp-9-shield-photo-leaked/

MP-9-Shield-courtesy-reddit.com_1.jpg

Looks like this is what they're announcing today at noon.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I don't feel comfortable discussing the positives and negatives of a firearm in an IP subforum.

Plus, there are actual specifications now! 19 ozs.! Stupid Thumb Safety! Fixed backstrap!

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Thumb safety sucks! Hopefully they'll make it just an option like other M&P's.

Just hope this finally pushes Glock into making the single stack 9mm people have been asking them to make for years.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I actually like having safeties on my guns or at least DA/SA. I can pull up stories all day about people accidentally shooting themself while messing with their "my finger is my safety" guns. On the M&P, it looks so small that it's nearly useless. Don't like it, don't use it.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Point being different tools have different purposes. Your big ol' revolver doesn't have much to do with a single-stack 9 developed for ease of carry in something semiauto.

I'm looking forward to getting one in my hands and taking it apart. I wasn't overly impressed with the bodyguard series. The m&p's so far have been great. I'd like to see the safety and how it is integrated up close(and how easy that sumbitch is going to be to remove). It'll be interesting to get this and the cm9 in my hands at the same time to compare and contrast(for them both being similar enough in price).

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Point being different tools have different purposes. Your big ol' revolver doesn't have much to do with a single-stack 9 developed for ease of carry in something semiauto.

I'm looking forward to getting one in my hands and taking it apart. I wasn't overly impressed with the bodyguard series. The m&p's so far have been great. I'd like to see the safety and how it is integrated up close(and how easy that sumbitch is going to be to remove). It'll be interesting to get this and the cm9 in my hands at the same time to compare and contrast(for them both being similar enough in price).

I see your point, and am only leaning toward personal preferences.

I am interested in seeing a long term test on the Shield. I can't wait to hear what you have to say after giving the internals and such the once over.

Admittedly, I am ignorant to the ways of the semi auto. Bad choices have led me to bad experiences with semi autos and I'm kinda like the old man who still has a rotary phone in that respect.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I see your point, and am only leaning toward personal preferences.

I am interested in seeing a long term test on the Shield. I can't wait to hear what you have to say after giving the internals and such the once over.

Admittedly, I am ignorant to the ways of the semi auto. Bad choices have led me to bad experiences with semi autos and I'm kinda like the old man who still has a rotary phone in that respect.

It's why I own an LCR rather than a pocket auto. I've thought hard and long about getting a pocket 9, but everything that I've seen thus far hasn't been particularly interesting to me. I hope that the Shield turns out to be what I hope it to be. If so, I may be adding it to my collection.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    One review I read said they tried everything they could to cause the safety to accidentally engage, but they couldn't do it.

I imagine it was just put there to keep lawyers happy or to give a safety to those who want it. Hope they offer a way to make it more like the m&p 9c safety, though.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    One review I read said they tried everything they could to cause the safety to accidentally engage, but they couldn't do it.

I imagine it was just put there to keep lawyers happy or to give a safety to those who want it. Hope they offer a way to make it more like the m&p 9c safety, though.

Some states require an external safety and by not including one you leave out an entire market segment. The SR9c was the same way. You couldn't possibly get that thing to turn on and off without a good thumb flick but people still griped about it anyway.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    Just hope this finally pushes Glock into making the single stack 9mm people have been asking them to make for years.

Don't hold your breath there. One of the main reasons Glock hasn't ventured into the sub-compact single-stack market is the import scoring system. I don't recall exactly where it would lose points, but most of their pistols barely pass on technicalities (like did you know almost all models are imported with "target" adjustable sights and then swapped to fixed?)

(Yes I know they made the Glock 36 single-stack .45ACP but if you've held one versus a G26/27 you'll know why I don't count it as a "sub-compact.")

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Don't hold your breath there. One of the main reasons Glock hasn't ventured into the sub-compact single-stack market is the import scoring system.

Many dont know this but Glock has a US factory now. At this point the US made Glocks are only for export. But I dont see a reason why they couldnt sell some of them in the states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom