• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    So I finally made my first C&R purchases a short while ago and my CZ-82 arrived from SOG today.

I'm a little unsure of what I need to fill out in a bound book page. I'm using the template from http://www.surplusrifle.com/graphics/boundbookpage.pdf

Would the Manufacturer/importer be the maker of the pistol or should I put down SOG for presumably importing it?

What goes in type?

And I'm unclear about the receipt and disposition fields as well.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    So I finally made my first C&R purchases a short while ago and my CZ-82 arrived from SOG today.

I'm a little unsure of what I need to fill out in a bound book page. I'm using the template from http://www.surplusrifle.com/graphics/boundbookpage.pdf

Would the Manufacturer/importer be the maker of the pistol or should I put down SOG for presumably importing it?

What goes in type?

The importer is I think is whichever is etched on the barrell or reciever. There is a chance SOG did not import it into the country and it was Century and that may be the name you find etched on the firearm.

R2.0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2008

Don't assume. The importer needs to stamp it; probably located near the muzzle.

What goes in type?
    Pistol, rifle, revolver, etc.

Receipt: who you got it from
    Disposition: who you sold it too. You fill this in AFTER the firearm leaves your possession; it stays blank in the meantime.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    The importer is I think is whichever is etched on the barrell or reciever. There is a chance SOG did not import it into the country and it was Century and that may be the name you find etched on the firearm.

Here's the info I've been logging on the same form:

Manufacturer or Importer: Like Novus said, could be an importer like "Century Arms" or someone else etched on the item. If the manufacturer is also known (like for some C&R guns) I put that in the box too.
    Model: Pretty straightforward: CZ-52, M44, No. 4 MKI...whatever the gun is.
    Serial Number: Obvious. On some C&R iterms like M44's there may also be an importer's S/N etched on the gun.
    Type: I've been putting: Bolt Action Rifle, Revolver, Semi-Auto Pistol etc.
    Caliber: Duh.
    In the receipt column:
    Date you received the item.
    Name/Add or Name/FFL: Who you got it from: In this case SOG & their address etc.
    Nothing to put in the Disposition column until and if you divest the gun.

I'm certainly not an expert, but all that makes sense. Just to be extra safe, I keep my order/shipping info/invoice etc in the back of the book.

If I'm incorrect on something...someone please let me know...

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    Is there any sort of list of importers of CZ-82s? The stamping is blurred on mine and the company abbreviated their name. It could be Century, but the ordering of letters is different than what they list on their site.

R2.0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2008
    Is there any sort of list of importers of CZ-82s? The stamping is blurred on mine and the company abbreviated their name. It could be Century, but the ordering of letters is different than what they list on their site.

Post it here - probably someone will have seen it.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

If it says C.A.I., Georgia, VT, then the importer is Century Arms International (Century International Arms or Century Arms Inc.). They also have a warehouse or location in Florida, but I am not sure if they stamp that on some of their guns too.

If it is not CAI, then I would just put the initials in the bound book and let the ATF figure it out if there is any problem because as far I am concerned I did all that was required of me. If there is a city and state with the initials, then I am pretty sure the ATF could narrow it down with no problems.

Last edited:

postmako

C&R Member
    Jan 10, 2008
    Howard County, MD
    I just use an excel spreadsheet to record all my firearms (modern & C&R). Much easier than keeping a bound book. I keep one copy at home and one at work so if there is a fire or something I still have a record.

Just remember that you must get ATF approval first before using this method.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Really? Oh crap :o

I copied the words and columns exactly as they are in the book. Same order and everything. Just kept it in a spreadsheet instead of a book.

How do I get approval for that? And is it only the C&R purchases I am required to record in their bound book???
    All C&R acquisitions and dispositions you did while you had the license has to be recorded. No other has to be.

The last ATF newsletter says you should contact the Baltimore field office on how to get a variance for an electronic bound book.

bottom of page six. http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/newsletter/1206fflnewsletter.pdf

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    All C&R acquisitions and dispositions you did while you had the license has to be recorded. No other has to be.

The last ATF newsletter says you should contact the Baltimore field office on how to get a variance for an electronic bound book.

bottom of page six. http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/newsletter/1206fflnewsletter.pdf

Thanks Novus. I've only bought a couple of guns with my C&R so I'll just record them in the book and keep everything else on the spreadsheet. That's no problem.

One question, what about a C&R gun acquired while I had my C&R license but which I didn't use my license to buy. For example, I got a Garand through CMP but didn't not use my license to get it. Would that need to be recorded also???

Conundrum

Oct 19, 2007
    WV
    ATF told me I have to have a paper version of a book. If I go solely to just electronic, then ATF has to approve it.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Thanks Novus. I've only bought a couple of guns with my C&R so I'll just record them in the book and keep everything else on the spreadsheet. That's no problem.

One question, what about a C&R gun acquired while I had my C&R license but which I didn't use my license to buy. For example, I got a Garand through CMP but didn't not use my license to get it. Would that need to be recorded also???

You have to record the Garand in your bound book. All C&R acquisitions and dispositions when you have your license have to be recorded as I understand it.

I am not sure if CMP is an FFL (I think they may be the exception to the law, but not sure about that), but if they are then I think you were required to give the other FFL a signed copy of yours as I understand it.
    So for instance if you bought a C&R handgun from a dealer in MD, you would still have to do the seven day wait and the application, but you would also have to give them a signed copy if I read the ATF websight correctly.

Also of note, if you had C&R firearms prior to getting the license, you did not have to record them in your bound book, but if you disposses them while you have the license, I am kinda sure you then have to record the disposition.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    You have to record the Garand in your bound book. All C&R acquisitions and dispositions when you have your license have to be recorded as I understand it.

I am not sure if CMP is an FFL (I think they may be the exception to the law, but not sure about that), but if they are then I think you were required to give the other FFL a signed copy of yours as I understand it.
    So for instance if you bought a C&R handgun from a dealer in MD, you would still have to do the seven day wait and the application, but you would also have to give them a signed copy if I read the ATF websight correctly.

Also of note, if you had C&R firearms prior to getting the license, you did not have to record them in your bound book, but if you disposses them while you have the license, I am kinda sure you then have to record the disposition.

You are NOT required to be a C&R FFL holder to purchase from CMP. The C&R license meets one of their requirements but there are other ways of satisfying that requirement. Either way, I'll record it. Can't hurt.

Now, what if I bought a C&R rifle from another individual. No license was required. Would that need to be recorded also?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    You are NOT required to be a C&R FFL holder to purchase from CMP. The C&R license meets one of their requirements but there are other ways of satisfying that requirement. Either way, I'll record it. Can't hurt.

Now, what if I bought a C&R rifle from another individual. No license was required. Would that need to be recorded also?
    I know, and you do not need a C&R FFL to buy a C&R rifle from another state resident either, but you still have to record the acquisition in your bound book even though it was a purchase you did not need the C&R license to complete (as I understand it).

So as I understand it, you can buy a rifle that is not a C&R from another state resident and not record anything about the transaction like any other non-FFL, but when it comes to a C&R I think you have to record their information in your bound book along with the rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom