Difference between .410 shotgun and .410 handgun ammo ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    While shooting milk jugs my Judge today, I had a problem with Sellier & Bellot 2 1/2" 000 Buck 3 Pellet ammo. After firing, the empty shells would stick in the chamber so tight that I couldn't push them out all at once with the ejector. I had to tap them out one at a time with a pencil.

I then tried what I normally shoot, Federal Premium Personal Defense Handgun Ammunition, 410 Gauge, 2 1/2" 000 Buck 4 pellet ammo, and they ejected fine.

It seems like the Sellier & Bellot shell swelled in the chamber.

I'm glad I only bought one box of Sellier & Bellot to try ... because it was on sale.

Anyone else have problems with Sellier & Bellot shotgun ammo ?

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I didn't put a magnet to them.

If those shells are steel bases and not brass bases, that's the problem.

Brass, or at least they are brass-coated.

I did notice that the plastic case seemed a little bulged at the crimp line as compared to the Federal round. Of course, I DIDN'T notice that until after they got stuck. They didn't seem any tighter when being loaded.

I hate to think how much they could screw up a semi-auto if they got stuck. Popping them out of the Judge chambers wasn't a big deal. Also, I didn't notice any excessive crud when cleaning last night, so it must be the shells.

I've always had good luck with S&B 9mm and .223, so I thought I would try their shotgun shells. I'll pass in the future.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Blackthorne is correct. I have been switching over to all brass, because I am sick of the steel sticking in my guns.

It's worth the extra couple of bucks.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Some steel bases are brass washed. You need a magnet to check. Also, a chamber that's a bit too big will cause cases to expand too much and become sticky. Usually it's with steel bases, but I imagine it could also happen with some hotter stuff.... and a .410 is a high pressure round to begin with.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    cliff notes:

While shooting my Judge today, I had a problem

Not a viable weapon except for (if you get it FREE! :) or if you are snake shooting.)

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Who said it's a weapon ?

cliff notes:

Not a viable weapon except for (if you get it FREE! :) or if you are snake shooting.)

But it blows up milk jugs really cool !!!

I have the Tracker model with a 6.5" barrel. That extra barrel length gives it about a 20' effective range.

Shooting either the Federal Personal Defense 000 buck or .45lc 230gr hollow points makes shreaded plastic out of a 1 gallon jug full of water. I would think that it has enough stopping power for most home defense situations.

Of course, I have 'other' means of defense for an all out zombie apocalypse. No sense in limiting my options. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Judge Tracker.jpg
      Judge Tracker.jpg
      24 KB · Views: 4,346

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Some steel bases are brass washed. You need a magnet to check. Also, a chamber that's a bit too big will cause cases to expand too much and become sticky. Usually it's with steel bases, but I imagine it could also happen with some hotter stuff.... and a .410 is a high pressure round to begin with.

That may be the answer right there. .410 shells in a cylinder that's chambered for .45LC.

Interesting that the OP's only had this problem with S&B though. I may be thinking too deeply on this, but could it be a difference in the plastic?

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    4510TRACKERSS Spec sheet.

The Judge fires both. The spec sheet says nothing about needing to use 'handgun' .410 vs 'shotgun', although I have read on other forums that you should.

Lessons learned ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom