• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anthony C

Nov 13, 2008
    Bel Air
    This gun was my grandfathers, later acquired by my father who passed away a few years ago. It has been setting in my moms closet ever since. I figured I would bring it home and do a little research on it.

The Slide says Pietro Beretta-Gardone V.T. CAL. 7.65 PAT.
    Above the trigger it has a few stamps and PSF 1952

Here are some Pics:
    beretta.jpg

beretta_2.jpg

beretta_3.jpg

I did a some quick google searching and it seems to be a 1934. My grandfather did fight in Korea.

I'm sure this gun has not been fired in 30 years, I would love to try it out one day is there any precautions I need to take? It seems to be in pretty good shape.

houserocker

Guero Loco
    Jan 14, 2008
    Laurel, DE
    Take it apart and clean it, you should be able to find instructions on the web. Oil it up, get you some .32 Auto ammo, and off to the range you go! That's a high quality vintage pistol, and it should give years of service. Congrats!! Btw, many of the European armed forces used 7.65/.32ACP caliber sidearms: FN/Browning Models 1900, 1910, 1910/22, various Berettas, Dreyse, Nagant, Tokarev, CZ52, original Lugers in .30 Luger, 1910 et. al. Mausers, Walther PP and PPK, I'm sure there are others I'm blanking on. They were used more as a symbol of authority than as a practical man stopper, although the 7.62x25 and ..30 Luger were alot hotter than .32ACP. Thats a very cool pistol.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Something to consider about ammo, most reports say that US made .32ACP ammo is weaker then the European made stuff. As a result, if you fire the gun, you may have function issues using American ammo. Assuming the springs are still 100%.

Here is a drawing of the gun:
    1150z1934.jpg

Here is a place with some parts: http://www.e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=27 The 1934 model was .380 caliber, the .32 was based on it.

The gun is exempt from the Roster Board law and the integral lock law but it still is a Regulated Firearm here.

If "52" was the year it was made, then isn't the gun a C&R? Doesn't mean anything for a sale in this state, but if you were to sell it out of state. IF you were to sell it.

Nice piece of history. Thanks for sharing.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    IIRC the '34 was the .32, the '35 was the .380 . During WWII the .380 was Italian Army issue, the .32 was Italian Air Force issue. It remain in production post war.
    It is a solid well made gun. The only thing is that by modern tastes the saftey is awkward to use. This is one that might best be carried condition 3 .

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    Wow... what a great piece. That's one of the best things about firearms IMO. Pieces of family history handed down generation to generation. I inherited my great-grandfathers Savage 1899 - .300 lever action (c1929).

I never knew my great-grandfather but he used the rifle to hunt deer and feed the family many years ago in the poconos. I have a connection to him through this great old rifle.

Firearms are a rich and treasured part of our history as Americans.

I hope it remains that way.

Anthony C

Nov 13, 2008
    Bel Air
    Thanks for the info guys, I have no intentions in selling it, probably hand to my son one day. I'll have to look at some of my grandfathers old war photos and see if he is wearing it in any.

Something to consider about ammo, most reports say that US made .32ACP ammo is weaker then the European made stuff. As a result, if you fire the gun, you may have function issues using American ammo. Assuming the springs are still 100%.

Its funny you should say that becuase the only thing I remember my dad saying about shooting this gun was that it jammed all the time.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Keep it well oiled and protect it from rust! Shoot it if you want to, but please take care of it. Any time you have an old gun that has been in your family, it's fine to shoot it - just don't abuse it. :)

treadhead88

Panzerfahrer
    Jun 20, 2009
    Cecil Co.
    Got one from GC about a month ago, haven't shot it yet. Be carefull on disassembly if you don't know how, it can be a little tricky.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    That's a very nice piece with some family history. Keep it clean, safe and pass it along one day. You'll be glad you did. And, you can shoot in the mean time.:)

Your treasure reminds me it's time to get Grandaddy's old Fulton 16 ga two-holer out of the safe and oil it up...

treadhead88

Panzerfahrer
    Jun 20, 2009
    Cecil Co.
    Wouldn't that be C&R?

They list a couple 1934's and 1935's in the C & R book, but they are specific:
    Finnish Home Guard with "SKY" on the slide, and
    Rumanian contract
    but, of course, you can't buy a handgun as a C & R anyway in the people republik.

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    They list a couple 1934's and 1935's in the C & R book, but they are specific:
    Finnish Home Guard with "SKY" on the slide, and
    Rumanian contract
    but, of course, you can't buy a handgun as a C & R anyway in the people republik.

50 years old or older also is C&R regardless of it in the "approved" C&R book.

Anthony C it's a good looking family keepsake. :thumbsup:

harley

Sep 6, 2010
    I have the exact same pistol with the same finish and markings. The right side of the slide is engraved with a Detroit police officers name and a date of 1956. Your pistol is the only other one that I have seen- the rest are blued military- issue and are slightly different. I'm going to try and find out something from the Detroit P.D. about the previous owner as I live here in Michigan. Any other info about civilian- issue 1935's would be helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom