• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What was a good price on Factory Ruger Mini 14 magazines before the panic? 10, 20 round. Not interested in 5 or 30.

MSRP on a 20-rd. mag from the Ruger factory was $39.95. Midway had the same thing for $30. I've got some on backorder from both. Midway's been backordered since 12/26/12, but at least maybe they're making progress - the anticipated in-stock date has been holding at 02/08/13 for several days now, whereas it had been moving out one day for each day elapsed.

I did buy one off Gunbroker the other day for $70, much as it pained me to do it, but I was getting impatient. Need to find more ammo.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I love mini's. They typically digest any .223. Tech sights can make it a little more accurate.
    http://www.tech-sights.com/

I will agree with sticking to Ruger mags, with one exception. I have never had an issue with any of the John Masen 20 round mags I have owned.

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    At the last Chantilly show, they had the 20-rnd and 30-rnd Ruger mags for retail price. Which in light of all the price gouging is not bad at all. $40 for the 20-rnd and $50 for the 30-rnd. But I'm going to guess the price may go up at the next show...no clue.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Minis are awesome as everyone else said. I have a newer tactical 16" and love it. I've had it in a few different stocks and personally I think old style factory wood is the best. I did have the ATI for a while and it was a quality piece. Factory mags are best. Avoid polymer mags. I've found the mini is best kept simple and light, with just iron sights.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    The mini-14 is a fantastic gun. I got one because of my love for the m1 carbine, and found that it completely eclipses that classic firearm in ranges under 150 yards. Later models are nearly as accurate as ar-15s, since the lack of tack-driving accuracy at range was due to the pencil thin barrel which was corrected in the newer models.

That said, I still prefer my older models for some things, as I will get into in a second.

I find that the older models are much less finicky about magazines than newer models. I have a min-14 GB with bayonet lug, wood stock, and flash hider in stainless with wood furniture that's my favorite, and that gun is probably 30 years old. That gun has never misfed a round from any magazine I've ever put into it. The only malfunction I ever had in that gun was a squib handload that had nothing to do with the gun it's self. That said, past about 170 yards accuracy really falls off out of that particular mini.

I have a newer model with a tapered thicker barrel that is very very accurate, but as I said, is a bit finicky with feeding from magazines that aren't factory. That said, I've had great luck with Tapco magazines both with and without metal reinforcements on the feeding lips and locking area. I believe the non-reinforced ones are generation 3, and they work well out of all my minis except the new one.

Thermold magazines don't work in any except the GB I mentioned earlier, don't buy them, and promag also seem to be pretty shitty.

Anyways, if you can get ruger factory mags or the reinforced tapco magazines, they've both worked 100% and I'd go with the later model tapered barrel ranch rifles in that case. If not, the older models are less finicky, but a little less accurate.

The main thing to remember, however, is this: no matter what kind of mini you get you'll be able to hit what you aim at easily out to about 120 yards if it's as big as a softball or bigger. The gun points and carries so effortlessly that I honestly can not think of a better carbine to have on hand in a close combat situation. YMMV but everyone I know who has one prefers the regular stock to the pistol grip, it's like a tiny little garand you can tote around with you- and pointing and acquiring a target is so intuitive with these rifles as to be second nature.

So the question you need to ask is this: would you rather be able to shoot very accurately out to very long ranges, or be able to use a variety of cheaper magazines reliably?

Rest assured though, that with factory mags, these guns just don't mess up. You'll see what I mean when you've had yours awhile.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    oh, and for the record- mini-14s are some of the only autoloaders I own that will digest even the crappiest .223 steel case loads.

I once fired an entire 2000 round lot of wolf .223 out of my GB without cleaning anything but the barrel and chamber.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    20's were about $40 IIRC. It's been a while...

MSRP on a 20-rd. mag from the Ruger factory was $39.95. Midway had the same thing for $30. I've got some on backorder from both. Midway's been backordered since 12/26/12, but at least maybe they're making progress - the anticipated in-stock date has been holding at 02/08/13 for several days now, whereas it had been moving out one day for each day elapsed.

I did buy one off Gunbroker the other day for $70, much as it pained me to do it, but I was getting impatient. Need to find more ammo.

At the last Chantilly show, they had the 20-rnd and 30-rnd Ruger mags for retail price. Which in light of all the price gouging is not bad at all. $40 for the 20-rnd and $50 for the 30-rnd. But I'm going to guess the price may go up at the next show...no clue.

Before the madness started, I was getting the Ruger factory 20 rounders for $19.99 and the 30 rounders for $29.99 at Hoffmans in Newington, CT. I would get the 20's online and the 30's when I visit my buddy in CT.

Those were the days......

wade234

Feb 12, 2011
    Mechanicsville, MD
    Why would the Mini-14 be on any ban? There is only one model on the federal AWB list specifically named. What one feature would it have that would make it an assault style (unless I change the stock). I wonder how creative they are going to get the serial number will match a standard ranch rifle (non-tactical).

On a side note, don’t laugh. How much ammo is too much ammo to store? I know the real answer is you can never have too much ammo. The gun I am buying is coming with 1850 rounds of .223. I am used to shooting 22LR and 9MM where you go through it really fast.

Thanks.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    They're great guns.
    My boy sighting in...
    c26dd7ca.jpg

It was a shootapalooza kind of day. Mini-14 on the right.
    df73611f.jpg

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Why would the Mini-14 be on any ban? There is only one model on the federal AWB list specifically named. What one feature would it have that would make it an assault style (unless I change the stock).

Thanks.

Because it was used in Norway to slaughter 77 people who had the misfortune of not being allowed to have firearms to protect themselves. Trust me, the Mini-14 will either be on a ban list now, or will be banned next, if they do get a ban passed.

The Mini-14 will also be subject to cosmetic restrictions now.

BigT

Large Member
    Dec 20, 2011
    Hagerstown area
    Because it was used in Norway to slaughter 77 people who had the misfortune of not being allowed to have firearms to protect themselves. Trust me, the Mini-14 will either be on a ban list now, or will be banned next, if they do get a ban passed.

The Mini-14 will also be subject to cosmetic restrictions now.

Currently the Mini 14 Tactical is a restricted firearm in Maryland due to its folding butt... So you can bet it would be included in any Assault Weapons Ban.. Hopefully the Rancher will not be listed...

Actually hopefully no band will be allowed!

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Currently the Mini 14 Tactical is a restricted firearm in Maryland due to its folding butt... So you can bet it would be included in any Assault Weapons Ban.. Hopefully the Rancher will not be listed...

Actually hopefully no band will be allowed!

Not true. The most tacticals do not have the ATI stock. What makes them a tactical is the 16" barrel. Most also have a factory flash hider. The "folding stock" model referenced on the regulated list is the pre-ban side folders from the 80's.

BigT

Large Member
    Dec 20, 2011
    Hagerstown area
    Not true. The most tacticals do not have the ATI stock. What makes them a tactical is the 16" barrel. Most also have a factory flash hider. The "folding stock" model referenced on the regulated list is the pre-ban side folders from the 80's.

So what you are saying is the store where I purchased my factory Mini 14 Tactical - not a used mini 14 with an aftermarket stock - was wrong? And I waited for no reason? In fact I had to wait additional time because I had already purchased a regulated firearm (S&W M&P9) that month and had not received my designated collectors status letter...

Hmm ... water under the bridge but that really sucks...

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    So what you are saying is the store where I purchased my factory Mini 14 Tactical - not a used mini 14 with an aftermarket stock - was wrong? And I waited for no reason? In fact I had to wait additional time because I had already purchased a regulated firearm (S&W M&P9) that month and had not received my designated collectors status letter...

Hmm ... water under the bridge but that really sucks...

Not exactly. My point was that it's reg'd because of the stock not because it's a tactical. My tactical was cash and carry. It came in the synthetic traditional style stock. Now if yours came in the ATI folder stock, that's why they made you do the papers.

JoshN

Jan 23, 2013
    Maryland until I escape
    Wade,

I respectfully recommend you resist the urge to put optics on it, and learn to shoot it with the (very good) peep sites that come with it.
    If you want even better peep sites, get some tech sites for it.
    http://www.tech-sights.com/

I put techsights on my SKS and it went from an inaccurate pig at 100m to 2 inch groups of up to about 20 rounds. After 21 years in the Marine Corps (just retired a year ago) I can proudly say I never fired with optics. Iron sights never fail you. Your eyes might fail you but the sights won't.

wade234

Feb 12, 2011
    Mechanicsville, MD
    My Beretta Storm was my first riffle with iron sights. I really liked them. The riffle I am getting has a scope on it but I may take it off to help train myself and my sons. Not every gun will have a scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom