• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Ok so with the weather seeming to break towards fall Im ready to go hiking and what not. My son wants to go to the cliffs to look for shark teeth . I havnt been there since I was a kid the only thing Ive heard is your not allowed to go to the bottom of the cliffs at the beach anymore. I figure with all the storms and crazy tides we have had it may be a good idea to go soon.So any suggestions on what areas would be good for him too find anything ?

As far as gear I have a few folding shovels and will make some sort of sifter for the sand and dirt .

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Try Brownie's Beach(Bayfront Park) in Chesapeake beach, it's hard to find(the sign is not next to the road) but not a bad place to find fossils and there's even tiny mystery antique glass beads of every color you can think of all over that beach too.
    Another good place is Calvert Cliffs State Park but it costs a few bucks to go there and you need to hike a mile or two to the beach.
    Of course the best places to look would be directly under the cliffs on private property, but it's definitely dangerous searching under the cliffs since parts of it are constantly falling so I don't recommend it plus cliff access seems to be prohibited in the public parks.
    Here's a good link....
    http://www.mgs.md.gov/esic/fs/fs10.html
    Good luck!
    It's getting harder and harder to find the big ones but they are still out there.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Try Brownie's Beach(Bayfront Park) in Chesapeake beach, it's hard to find(the sign is not next to the road) but not a bad place to find fossils and there's even tiny mystery antique glass beads of every color you can think of all over that beach too.
    Another good place is Calvert Cliffs State Park but it costs a few bucks to go there and you need to hike a mile or two to the beach.
    Of course the best places to look would be directly under the cliffs on private property, but it's definitely dangerous searching under the cliffs since parts of it are constantly falling so I don't recommend it plus cliff access seems to be prohibited in the public parks.
    Here's a good link....
    http://www.mgs.md.gov/esic/fs/fs10.html
    Good luck!
    It's getting harder and harder to find the big ones but they are still out there.

come one.. why must you tell none resident about the little hidden beach!!! :mad54:

:lol2:

RJ: if you go to Calvert Cliff.. it will be a hike to the beach area. but Brownie's beach is very easy access.. (that is if you find it).

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    On Rt.4 almost every weekend there was a fossil guy in the median at Talbot Rd.
    He's got a great display of sharks teeth and other fossils for sale and show that he found at Calvert Cliffs. Some really big ones too.

come one.. why must you tell none resident about the little hidden beach!!! :mad54:.....

I know it's supposed to be a local thing but I found out about it from a guy I met in Florida a few years ago so it can't be that secret. The cliffs area has been closed down and that's where most of the good stuff is anyway so it's not as good as it once was. I figure kids would have fun finding the tiny little teeth and colorful little glass beads. I know I've spent many hours there and it was fun even though I don't have a lot to show for it.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I used to go often in the mid 80's, Camp Canoy Rd to the very end would bring you to a scout camp, straight down the trail was the beach. Great place to run my dog, all kinds of stuff everywhere, Shame if it can't be accessed anymore.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I used to go often in the mid 80's, Camp Canoy Rd to the very end would bring you to a scout camp, straight down the trail was the beach. Great place to run my dog, all kinds of stuff everywhere, Shame if it can't be accessed anymore.

From what Ive heard most of the better places from years ago are all closed to the public . Most of the cliffs have been undermined they are crumbling.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    If you want some larger teeth, get scuba certified, go down to Carolina Beach, NC, go out to the shelf a few boats go to and pick up a few of these babies: Megalodon teeth. I got all of these on one dive a couple of years ago. Most folks come back with many more. These are medium-sized. Larger ones approach 7" across the top.

20091106_0009.JPG

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Breezy point. The only thing i know that has camping. When i get home. Ill give ya direction to brownies beach. ;)

:thumbsup: we thank you sir

If you want some larger teeth, get scuba certified, go down to Carolina Beach, NC, go out to the shelf a few boats go to and pick up a few of these babies: Megalodon teeth. I got all of these on one dive a couple of years ago. Most folks come back with many more. These are medium-sized. Larger ones approach 7" across the top.

My son would flip if he fund something like that he loves sharks. Hell anything that has to do with fish he likes . Oddly enough thats all he wants to eat too is seafood :lol2:

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    When I was a kid I found shark teeth in the sand in a few feet of water in the Bay. I would think if you got to a beach where the Bay's Tidal Waters come up to, if you dig, you'll find shark teeth.

As any Cliffs go around Calvert. I spoke to a friend who lives along the Chesapeake Bay at the end of Dares Beach Road recently. There are issues with a few homes because of ground erosion so much so they are about ready to start loosing parts of their homes. What does this have to do with hunting for shark teeth?

Even if you are able to find a place below an area that has a cliff. I don't think I'd want any part of that. With the recent Earth Quake and then torrential rains we've had. I would think the ground has been subject to splitting and opening up allowing water to get deep within the sand, and cause it to collapse when it's least expected.

If your not familiar with Calvert and some areas where parts of the cliffs have fallen killing people? Please just be careful..... Times have changed since we were all kids. Recently, things have gotten more unstable around here.

Be Safe;)

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Like I said I used to run my dog there at the base of the scout camp. Once when a tree was down we needed to climb over it............well the tree isn't the only thing that came down, I nearly stepped on a copperhead. One of my Ex wives was with me and she bitched like hell when I was going to kill it. Better to be bit by the snake then to listen to her. :mad54:

Another time just me and the dog, dog went ballistic rolling on something about 50 yards ahead of me. Deer got too close to the edge and was buried up to it's head. I at first thought it was dinosaur bones and I was going to be in the paper but nawwww. :D Loved that place, lot of fun and great hunting in the park.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Like I said I used to run my dog there at the base of the scout camp. Once when a tree was down we needed to climb over it............well the tree isn't the only thing that came down, I nearly stepped on a copperhead. One of my Ex wives was with me and she bitched like hell when I was going to kill it. Better to be bit by the snake then to listen to her. :mad54:

Another time just me and the dog, dog went ballistic rolling on something about 50 yards ahead of me. Deer got too close to the edge and was buried up to it's head. I at first thought it was dinosaur bones and I was going to be in the paper but nawwww. :D Loved that place, lot of fun and great hunting in the park.

Yeah I showed my son some pics of it online . He is excited sounds like it will be a good day for me and the boy . I went once when I was kid and had a great time .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom