• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed Citizen

Jul 27, 2010
    Me and a friend of mine wanted to start shooting IDPA, I noticed that at the AAFG club you must go through a training class and observe a match before you can shoot. Are those done on the same day? We were going to come watch today's match to get that requirement out of the way but then I noticed the next class is the same time as a match, so now I'm wondering if its something you do in one shot?

Any quick answer is appreciated, will be leaving soon! :)

Armed Citizen

Jul 27, 2010
    I don't know. That's a fairly new requirement. My guess is you can do both in the same day. It's a bit of an olboysclub, but be safe and polite and you'll fit in. I'll see you there sometime, have fun!

Right, and I can't find a phone# for the club only emails. I sent one yesterday morning but didn't get an answer back yet. I think we will just skip today and find out for sure before making the long trip twice instead of once. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    They have a new shooter class each month. You observe a regular match and then get to try a stage dry after. No ammo allowed for new shooter class. Then you're good to go. They will allow you to shoot one match before joining IDPA. After that, you have to be a member of IDPA. You sign up through their Yahoo account online.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Today is a mixed format (shotgun and pistol) match. It is not listed as a new shooter date. The next new shooter class is 9/14 which is also a classifier match. Not sure if you can just show up to watch.

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    To the OP and perhaps anyone else. Perhaps I saw you out there today. Contact the match administrator, get signed up for the class, get signed up for the match announcement e-mails and jump through the hoops as they are explained to you. It will take a little time with very little effort on your part, but the matches are fun. The reason for the wait is due to the demand to take the class to be able to shoot at AAFG is outpacing the supply of slots in the class. Please be patient, sign up early and stick with it.

In my experience, the only reason you'll see an old boys club at AAFG is if you show up unannounced and expect to shoot that day. Even I can't do that and I've shot with them regularly for 3 or so years. If an old boy's club is perceived, it MAY be because the place has earned enough repeat business by putting on quality matches that many of us know each other fairly well. If you attended a match and felt left out, please forgive me. I'm certainly not trying to be cold. It may be something I can do better at.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Not to hijack this, but do any of you go to the AR matches? I would like to meet you out there. I have been to the last 3 of them.

jason.krywicki

Sep 8, 2007
    GB, MD
    Aaron has summarized it very well - thanks for that Aaron. We, by no means, want AAF&G's IDPA matches to seem like an old boy's club. If that is the perception, then I, and especially Jack, Skip and Bill would want to correct that.

It is true that there is a class required to shoot IDPA at AAF&G. We put it on approx. once a month, and we do that to make sure that everyone is comfortable drawing from a holster, understands the range commands and is, above all else, safe. Our club is popular and slots for the class fill up quickly. We apologize for the delay in getting into a class, but this policy helps keep everyone safe and allows us to continue to put on high quality matches at least four times a month.

If anyone in MDShooters land would like to discuss opinions or thoughts or has a question regarding AAF&G or our IDPA club, feel free to PM me, and I'll be happy to discuss. Hopefully, we'll see you at a match soon!

Jason

FTJoe

Aug 27, 2012
    SOMD
    just so I understand completely. no matter how many IDPA or USPSA matches someone has shot at other clubs, everyone shooting AAF&G for the first time must attend the class before participating in their IDPA or USPSA matches, correct?

jason.krywicki

Sep 8, 2007
    GB, MD
    That is correct. No matter what your level of previous experience or achieved skill level, the course is required. I know that this might seem ridiculous, but it ensures a uniform understanding of the basic rules of the IDPA game as well as some of the specific limitations we have at AAF&G.

We have had all skill levels go through this course. From those who have never drawn a gun from a holster all the way up to a USPSA single stack grandmaster. The USPSA GM took the course without question, and he commented that it was a good idea and had no problem taking the course.

Jason

JackBlundell

Jul 20, 2008
    That is correct. No matter what your level of previous experience or achieved skill level, the course is required. I know that this might seem ridiculous, but it ensures a uniform understanding of the basic rules of the IDPA game as well as some of the specific limitations we have at AAF&G.

We have had all skill levels go through this course. From those who have never drawn a gun from a holster all the way up to a USPSA single stack grandmaster. The USPSA GM took the course without question, and he commented that it was a good idea and had no problem taking the course.

Jason

All -

We have recently revised our policy. We now waive the requirement to attend the new shooter class for anyone who is a current member of IDPA and classified Marksman or higher in any division, or is a current member of USPSA and is classified 20% or higher in any division. All others must observe a match and take the safety class.

- Jack

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    All -

We have recently revised our policy. We now waive the requirement to attend the new shooter class for anyone who is a current member of IDPA and classified Marksman or higher in any division, or is a current member of USPSA and is classified 20% or higher in any division. All others must observe a match and take the safety class.

- Jack

I already participate in IDPA at AAFG (have for a few years now) so this doesn't pertain to me personally; but I'm glad to see this revision to that policy.

Excellent. And thanks for everyone jumping in here to answer the OP's question.

I recently discovered that the NRA has a very similar exemption; the allow IDPA Marksman or better as a approved prerequisite to taking PPITH. Makes sense to me.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    All -

- Jack
    That makes it a little better for those of use who have been doing it for awhile, thanks.

ZBox

Aug 27, 2013
    Just wanted to chime in. Ive never shot an IDPA event and stopped by the event at AAFG this past weekend. I had no expectation of shooting, didnt even bring weapon, just wanted to check it out. The guys there were all very friendly and helpful. The guy who runs it explained the need for the newshooter course and it made sense. The bad news is that Septs and Octs are full so the next one I can get into would be Nov. Despite that, I decided to forgo my planned trip up to TCSC to check out their IPSC event the following day since I decided that AAFG was exactly what i was looking for.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Which AR matches do you mean?

Ar matches at AAFG are pistol caliber s only.

SOGHAP, I'm not sure which AR matches you mean. There's a monthly AR-15 match that's shot on the 100 yd Eccles High-Power Range and is focused on 5.56mm rifles. IIRC, there was an event that was conducted on the Action Pistol Range which limited the rifles to pistol calibers, but that's not the norm.

JoeR

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom