• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Went to the Maryland Rennfest today(www.rennfest.com) and there was an American sword maker there called "Badger Blades"(www.badgerblades.com)
    Badger swords aren't very shiny or fancy or cheap($275 - $600+) but I've never seen or heard of a stronger sword anywhere.
    They told me if I shoot at the sword or chop up an engine block and it somehow breaks, they will replace it for free.
    They even demonstrate the capabilities by chopping at what's left of a steel anvil on their table and all that happens is the edge gets a little dull.
    I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it for myself.
    Did a search on youtube and found this video where someone actually shoots the blade of one of these swords with .22, 9mm, and .45 caliber bullets. Believe it or not the only damage was a slight dent when they shot the very edge of the blade.
    I bet few other swords on earth could stay in one piece after being shot like this. Just amazing to me....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFZKLdQfDvo
    People either seem to love Badger Blades or hate them but I bet many of the haters are probably other sword makers and their fans.

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    There was a Norse saga where two guys with a sword jumped a third fellow. They had to stop halfway through the killing to beat the sword blade back into shape with a rock, and then they finished the job. I'd say sword tech has come a long way.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    There was a Norse saga where two guys with a sword jumped a third fellow. They had to stop halfway through the killing to beat the sword blade back into shape with a rock, and then they finished the job. I'd say sword tech has come a long way.

There's still a lot of crappy swords out there that will bend or break fairly easily and you can often tell which ones they are by how much they cost.
    Personally I wouldn't trust any sword that's under $100.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Ugh, I think I have one of their "katanas". I'm sure knife edges are find on broad swords but they don't work right for Japanese style swords.

They have some unique katanas, that's for sure. One issue I have with Badger Blades, seems like most of their swords are not very sharp probably because they are constantly chopping at anvils and cement blocks with them. Plus I guess since they are made to be used and abused they put a thicker edge on them rather than finer edges. They did tell me they can mail them out to the forge and have them resharpened for a small fee but sharpening it yourself with power tools can void the warranty due to too much heat which could ruin the heat treatment.

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    Those are indeed good blade. I used to work there with the jousting show. there is a guy who fixes all their armor there, and used to work at On Target who also makes his own swords.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Google weapon masters. I believe they shot at a katana and home brewed sword. Don't know who actually made the katana. I think mythbusters did one too.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Google weapon masters. I believe they shot at a katana and home brewed sword. Don't know who actually made the katana. I think mythbusters did one too.

I remember that Mythbuster's episode, I think they were shooting at the edge of the Katana trying to cut bullets in half. Never seen Weapon Masters before and can't find that particular episode but I still think very few swords out there can be shot on the side of the blade and still be functional.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Wish I had the military channel, looks like a great show.
    I hear it takes several people a few weeks just to make one of those Samurai swords in the traditional way.
    No wonder they cost so much.

weeks or months.. depending who does it.. saw a show one time.. guy made it all by hand the old fashion way... wish i could own one.. maybe someday.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Bugei makes very nice quality japanese-style swords. The honey badger? Laughable fugly flattened crowbar renn-faire wasters. Unless you get a hell of a deal on a used one(or are knowingly just buying a through-hardened backyard beater), you probably shouldn't trust one that cost less than $1000 if you want a hamon / martensitic hardened edge. If you just want something to beat down water bottles, pool noodles and defenseless saplings with, though, consider one of these-
    http://bugei.com/raptor-series-performance-katana-150-ctg.htm
    For about $250, you would have a sword that could do anything the honey badger could do and would at least LOOK somewhat like a Japanese sword.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom