• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    You can get more than that in Frederick County for sure...

I live in Myersville area...here is one $465k 3.6acres

http://www.mrishomes.com/homes-for-sale/MD/MYERSVILLE/21773/10078-VISTA-CT-97956476

****Wow. That's about the price of a townhouse in the nicer parts of Rockville and/or North Potomac. No doubt property taxes out in WV are a lot lower than in this area of MoCo. I just sent in one of my payments for property tax on my principal residence and just think about how long I have to work to make that money.... It's amazing to me that all of my neighbors pay about the same as well. MoCo has got to be swimming in money for all of the unborn children I don't have to send to the schools here...

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I think for the OP's particular situation, "Moving to WV" is that in particular moving to the state border which in effect he will still basically have the same daily life conveniences as he would here in Maryland, without going too far out of the way (Store runs, etc.), since a majority of his time will still be in Maryland.

It sounds like the OP has a solid plan to hang his hat in a new state to enjoy things WV has that Maryland does not, all while still going to work here.

I'm in WV quite often, family has a big farm. Maybe if I lived near a bordering Maryland County it would be a consideration but since I'm up in Harford, doubtful I could "replace" my job with one in WV of equal pay, have to sell my Diesel truck (Higher fuel costs, longer drives), and unfortunately, I think I would ultimately get bored.. even with WV 2A Rights and everything else vs. "Maryland Living."

I'm too used to driving no more than 30 minutes for basic life conveniences here, I can consolidate no problem, and rural is what I prefer, but boredom is a big factor to me. Not in this stage of life I'm interested in living there.

Last edited:

RightD

Nov 21, 2009
    MoCo
    What about somewhere like Leesburg or Purcellville?

Still close to Frederick, but with better schools, services, etc.

- RightD

RightD

Nov 21, 2009
    MoCo
    ****Wow. That's about the price of a townhouse in the nicer parts of Rockville and/or Gaithersburg. No doubt property taxes out in WV are a lot lower than in this area of MoCo. I just sent in one of my payments for property tax on my principal residence and just think about how long I have to work to make that money.... It's amazing to me that all of my neighbors pay about the same as well. MoCo has got to be swimming in money for all of the unborn children I don't have to send to the schools here...

Fixed that for you... ;)

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I will be moving back to WV as soon as I sell my house. I feel like a second class citizen now that I am a resident of MD and am honestly ashamed to tell people that I live here because of the BS laws. If I could legally remove my license plates from my vehicles, I would. As far as schools go, people do say that WV schools are inferior. However, I believe its not so much the schools as it is the lack of parent participation (or lack there of) with their children.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    ****Wow. That's about the price of a townhouse in the nicer parts of Rockville and/or North Potomac. No doubt property taxes out in WV are a lot lower than in this area of MoCo. I just sent in one of my payments for property tax on my principal residence and just think about how long I have to work to make that money.... It's amazing to me that all of my neighbors pay about the same as well. MoCo has got to be swimming in money for all of the unborn children I don't have to send to the schools here...
    thats 15 acres with house in st marys

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I have a little cabin up in the mountains past Deep Creek. I don't live there full-time, but here is my sense of it:

Property taxes are ALOT lower than MD.

Property taxes fund the schools - not much tax base to draw from and low rates = pretty terrible public schools.

The zoning laws are nonexistent, meaning you can do whatever you want, and so can your neighbors - I would buy more land than you think you need just as a buffer because you have no idea what might get built next to you.

Gun laws are obviously much better.

There is a lot of poverty, a lot of people are seriously poor. Lot of alcoholism, meth, prescription drug abuse to go along with that.

There is personal property tax on vehicles, but you save so much money on the property taxes versus MD, you will still be net ahead.

Much of the state is extraordinarily beautiful country. If you like the outdoors it is amazing. Hiking, fishing, hunting, whitewater rafting, it has it all.

I like having the little weekend cabin up there a lot. Living there full-time? Maybe.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Not sure what line of work the OP is in, but why not just move your business, so that Maryland wont benefit from the taxes anyways. Since our state is unfriendly to us, then more people should just leave the sad state of Maryland.

Not all parts of WV is what people posting have it out to be. Morgantown WV is growing, and has all the modern things people prefer of the big cities (chain stores,resturants etc) Most of us in Western Maryland head to Morgantown when we need something the rural area does not provide, including good health care.

The school system there is pretty good (WVU is located there) you are close to Pittsburgh, and close to more rural areas, if thats what you enjoy.

WV does require yearly vehicle inspections. Its like $15 bucks though, and is not as strict as Marylands standards.

Knowing what I know now, If I ever sell my house in the Deep Creek Lake area, I will definetly NOT stay in Maryland anymore. Nothing in this state is worth staying here for. Only reason why I stay, is because my family is nearby.

CZ Fanboy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 19, 2013
    I would not move there for jobs. Maybe as a vacation home or retirement home, but I would never really go there for anything else besides vacation. Very nice to visit that's for sure!

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I love WV.. You can do anything you want if you have the $.

How ever keep in mind its a bunch of fat, ignorant rednecks. I have a love hate relationship with WV..

I would rather put up with fat, ignorant rednecks than fat, ignorant liberals :D

RightD

Nov 21, 2009
    MoCo
    I would rather put up with fat, ignorant rednecks than fat, ignorant liberals :D

Here is the test... Go over one Saturday morning and go shopping at a Wal-Mart (even the one on 340 in Charles Town). That seems to be a good gauge of a person's redneck/hillbilly tolerance.

You'll either shrug and say "What's the big deal?" or hustle back to the suburbs.

I am only sort-of kidding. ;)

tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    We are moving there as soon as our house sells. We have it listed. I found some good people and areas there. There are some issues with backward types, but there aint as many annoying people as there are in montgomery county. Hill billys are much better than starbuck drinking yuppies.

I hear schools are an issue, but we dont have to worry about that. Also its a big churched area. Many active congregations with large community engagement.

danielw

Nov 4, 2008
    middle river md
    I get a disability check from ss and a retirement check from the steel workers. If I could get my old lady to go I would be there in a heart beat. MD ain't the place to be

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I just got back from a family vacation, one week at a cabin in Lost River State Park near Mathias WV. Last year we did the same thing at Blackwater Falls State Park near Davis WV. Both are great places, but have significant differences. Mathias is only about 150 miles/3 hours from Baltimore, while Davis is over 200 miles/5 hours. Mathias is really only a very small place and you have to drive about 30 minutes to get to the closest full size grocery store. Davis is a pretty lively small town with a few restaurants and a full size grocery store. It is not far from the Canaan Valley resort. Thus there seems to be more to do in Davis, so the family might have more to keep them occupied there.
    I could give a rat's ass about nightlife or Starbucks. Even FIOS is not important to me. I want a place to hunt, fish, and shoot, or just take to the woods and enjoy myself. I realize that these activities are on the way out in MD. I will have to stay in MD to work for a few more years, but a few acres in WV can be bought reasonably cheaply and I can have that set aside for later full time residency once I get done with work. It's true, we are looked on as dumb rednecks by our fellow Marylanders. Those people are of no concern to me and there are plenty of reasonable people to know in WV. I am not going there for socializing anyway. So it is a good place to be. I look forward to getting a few acres over there.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I should say that the Lost River area is not far from DC and so there seem to be many liberal types down that way, especially in Lost City which has some worthless stores full of crap that fancy tourists like to buy. Any time I see a lot of DC plates, warning lights go off for me. But I think if you get up on top of the mountains in that area, you won't have to worry much about errant do-gooders from DC.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I'm West Virginia born and bred. Have a farm there in the center of the State. Yes, a lot of what has been written in this thread is true of WV, but not all of it and certainly not for every part of WV.

Where I am at, it is a good 45 minutes to a modern town (Summersville) and an hour or more to larger shopping areas (Charleston or Clarksburg area). There is a small country store down on the Elk River about 15 miles away.

If you like having convienences a few minutes away, you will have to move to a more urban area of WV. I prefer the quiet solitude of the country myself.
    Gas prices in WV used to be higher than MD, but with Maryland's new gas tax, they are on par with each other. I just payed $3.45 per gallon in Braxton County which is about the cheapest I could find in Maryland. As MD gas tax ramps up over the next few years, WV will be the least expensive area for fuel of the two states.

Overall property taxes are much much less than Maryland, plus the bureaucracy is much smaller in WV. When you're building a home in WV (at least in Braxton Co.) other than the septic inspection, there are no other inspections/certifications/permits required to build your home.

Property prices are a fraction of the costs in Maryland in many parts of WV.

Sales taxes are the same as MD

Gun laws can't even be compared.

You are just so much 'freer' in WV.

Schools aren't as bad as many make them out to be, and with good parental participation a child can get a first rate education.

When you move to WV, get to know your neighbors, make them your friends and you will be golden!

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Hey guys, I live in Frederick MD right now and my office is in Urbana MD. I want to have some land (1.5 acres+) and my wife wants a "newer" home. In Frederick County to get that combination we are looking at 550k+

I really do not want to drive from Hagerstown, as the drive is just down right miserable, so I am possibly thinking WV.

How is it living in WV, I know they have some stupid personal property tax as well as vehicle inspections.

Anyone from MD move to WV with thoughts??

I never lived in MD, but lived in NOVA my whole life until a few years ago and moved to WV, because I wanted a house with a nice sized lot and didn't want to pay for a house that was "only in the low 500k".
    Much of what has been said here is true. For your specific situation, you may want to try the commute you would be taking. Most likely, if you live in the panhandle you'll take 340 up to 270 and then on to Urbana. I know in the afternoons there's usually a big back up on the 340 bridge coming back from MD. Just depends on what hours you work.
    Harpers Ferry and Charles Town will only put you 30-45 mins from Urbana, and there's plenty of houses available. Property taxes are very low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom