What's the best 4-wheeler out there for the money?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Hi Folks! Been a while. Anyway, I'm looking to buy an ATV and was wondering what you guys might think is the best value for the money. I'm interested in the following (including but not limited to) characteristics/capabilities:

1) At least 400 cc
    2) 4wd
    3) 2-up riding
    4) Plowing

Every brand I have ever had experience with (Honda, Suzuki, Yammy, Polaris, Kaw, etc.) has pretty much done the job, but does one stand out over the rest in terms of value for the buck? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

St.243

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I went to Romney Cycles for a Suzuki KingQuad 750 and never looked back. Best prices of anyone in the tri-state area. Have a Warn winch installed and the Warn Pro-Vantage plow. Also installed a drop basket rack. It does everything I could possibly ask for it to do.

Also, for about the same price you can get a Kawasaki Mule 450 UTV. Not as wide as the other UTVs and the drop bed and ability to enclose the cab is top notch IMHO.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    The Polaris 850 with power steering is really nice. The steering is a bit touchy at high speed but other than that it rides really nice and has plenty of power. My riding buddy has a can am 1000 and it also a really nice machine but it costs a couple thousand more than the polaris.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I second buying at Romney Cycles. I'm partial to Yamahas and Hondas myself. Unfortunately they aren't a Honda dealer and for plowing I prefer the Yamaha.

Well they are, just in a different location, Petersburg WVa.
    I'm pretty sure The owner Kevin got it back from his wife after the dust settled from the divorce.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    I just sold an 09 kingquad 400ASI with 460 miles on it with winch and plow for 2,500 bucks. It was mint. With that said, that quad went anywhere I wanted to go last winter in 2wd. At times, we had well over a foot of snow on the ground, and it was no problem. Ofcourse there were times I used the 4wd to play, but it wasnt needed. A cousin has the 750 KQ and the 400 will go better than it. It may not have the power or speed, but I believe those 2 reasons are the reason the 400 done better. The 400 was aircooled, single cylinder, old school engine design. The 750's are more performance oriented, built on newer technology. The valves alone are harder to adjust as they use the shim and bucket style.
    I am a honda man, no doubt. Me, I'd go with a honda. They have always been known for reliabilty, and usually are bulletproof. My dad just sold a 98 foreman 400 with over 10,000 miles on it, and never been in for a repair. Changed the oil, and basic servicing. Only issue is with many of these newer quads, is most are going to the newer style engines, liquid cooled, etc.

We have a new honda dealership here ( corriganville/cumberland ), but I wouldnt use them.... Dad went there and what sounded like a great price, wasnt so great when they added all the fee's. They had a special on the quad, and had a free winch, but they had to install it, etc. Well, they wanted like 300 bucks for the install......100 dollar new tire fee, etc....Crazy! Needless to say, he took his business to PA somewhere.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Well they are, just in a different location, Petersburg WVa.
    I'm pretty sure The owner Kevin got it back from his wife after the dust settled from the divorce.

Yep, Tri-County is a great place. I was just offered a job there ( suppose to go in this week to discuss it ) but not so sure I wanna commute it.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    if you're looking for true two-up riding, that limits the field. i have and love honda rincon which meets all your requirements but is not a true two-up machine.

i have bought quads and dirt and street bikes from ridersville, romney and what is apparently the now-defunct shenandoah honda (winchester) and also valley cycle (winchester) and all did good jobs, especially shenandoah.

natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    I bought a Honda Foreman in 2000. I would buy another, but I am not sure I will ever have to. It still works just as hard as the day I bought it. I have been brutally hard on that machine, but it just keeps running. I cant imagine how many tons of snow that thing has pushed and logs it has pulled. I think it keeps running just to spite me, so I can never have a new one.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    +1, I have a Honda and a Polaris, the Polaris is just a monster.

Polaris man here to, I have bought 4 new ones in the last.12 yrs and I still have 2.
    A 500ho Sportsman and a 700 Sportsman. The 700.is way more than I needed, Its a monster and will do anything I ask of it. When you go shopping for one its like buying a new weenis for yourself. I really only need this size but, For a few thousand more I can have this size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom