• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    I've read in countless articles that the Mosin was originally sighted in with the bayonet attached.

Can someone tell me how does mounting the bayonet have an affect on the point of impact?

I haven't tried it myself yet, just curious.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    M91/30 with bayonet attached impacting at point of sight @ 100yds
    M91/30 without bayonet attached impact about 2 inch low right

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I used a bronze punch I made out of key stock (long, square shaped bar stock) and drifted my front sight over a tad to sight in without the bayonet. It's dead on at 50 yards now. Not hard to do, but hit carefully so you don't go too far, slow is good, it doesn't take much.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I've read in countless articles that the Mosin was originally sighted in with the bayonet attached.

Can someone tell me how does mounting the bayonet have an affect on the point of impact?

I haven't tried it myself yet, just curious.

This is my belief at why this happens;
    If you look up slo motion video of a rifle firing, you'll see tha the barrel will whip like a loose hose. The mosin barrel is relatively long and thin so this effect is compounded. Fixing the bayonet adds weight to the end of the barrel and affects the harmonic properties and dynamics of the rifle.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I believe it was standard Russian policy that the Mosin was to have the bayonet attached at al times unless it was being transported or stored. So the specification that the rifle be zeroed with the Bayonet attached makes sense. And the fact that the bayonet attaches so tightly to the barrel (along with the additional weight) is probably responsible for the change in barrel harmonics. THe M44 also changes POI with bayonet extended, and it is already attached to the barrel, even when folded.

Edit: mvee beat me to it. :)

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    This is my belief at why this happens;
    If you look up slo motion video of a rifle firing, you'll see tha the barrel will whip like a loose hose. The mosin barrel is relatively long and thin so this effect is compounded. Fixing the bayonet adds weight to the end of the barrel and affects the harmonic properties and dynamics of the rifle.

Yes. You are absolutely correct sir.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Attaching the bayonet will change the point of impact of any rifle.

Anything that touches a rifle's barrel will affect how it shoots. That's why barrels are free floated, or shimmed, or pressure-point-bedded or whatever. You also need to watch how you use a rest when shooting. I've noticed a difference between grasping the forend tightly, versus just letting it rest on my hand.

I believe it was standard Russian policy that the Mosin was to have the bayonet attached at al times unless it was being transported or stored.

That's what I've heard. They simply did not issue bayonet scabbards. There's no such thing for a Russian Mosin. The only option was to reverse the bayonet. Try it: it wont lock on, but you can put the bayonet on backwards for those times when you and your buddies are locked in the cattle cars on your way to Stalingrad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom