• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • R81

Jun 30, 2006
    What are my best options for a .22Lr target/competition pistol? Ruger MKIII? Any others? Thank you.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I've seen target shooters use the Browning Buck Mark. I've only handled the Ruger though, so I can't really add more than that.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    depends on what level you want to play at.

All the aforementioned guns are excellent platforms for entry to mid-level.

Once you get to the "serious" level you're looking at Pardinis, Morinis and the like and they are big dollar.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Wow. How good of a shot do you have to be with a pistol to actually "need" something like that?

It's like any sport at the top of the game were the difference between 1st and 2nd place is measured in the smallest of increments.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    also wanted to add.....the gun isn't going to make you a good shooter. If you're no good with a $200 gun, a $1500 gun isn't going to make you one.

The fundamentals have to be there first. A good gun just makes things easier and more comfortable.

You can run 25 birds in trap with a Mossberg, but a purpose designed shotgun will make it repeatable and more comfortable.

If you're just getting into it, buy one of the aforementioned guns and spend the balance on good ammo, range time and instruction. :thumbsup:

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Wow. How good of a shot do you have to be with a pistol to actually "need" something like that?

The shooting club I belonged to back home had a family that had been shooting there for years. The mom went to Camp Perry but the son ended up on the 1980 Olympic shooting team that never went to Moscow.

Back then they were buying Eley Tenex Pistol ammo buy the case. In 1979 there was no internet sales of ammo, just what the local gun shop would sell it for. Of course, that shop had never heard of Eley and they had to figure out how to get their stuff.

If you are shooting at the Olympic level, you use these handguns.

RIP Steve.

Old Gaffer

Jun 26, 2006
    I started with a Browning Buckmark Hunter, did some trigger work in it myself (it's not that hard if you're mechanically inclined) and progressed until I shot an 832/900 with it in bullseye.

I've since bought a High Standard Victor, and my personal best is 861/900.

I understand that High Standard has all their manufacturing issues fixed, and the new Texas guns are very bit as good as the old guns from Connecticut; I shoot a Texas gun and mine runs flawlessly.

Bass Pro has the Buckmark listed in this week's flyer for $300, a high Standard Victor will cost you at least $800.

Quite honestly, I think most days that I could shoot the Buckmark as well as the Victor.

Whatever you decide on, take it to the range, shoot, and enjoy!

As an aside, I've never heard much but horror stories from people taking their Rugers apart to work on them and clean them - both the High Standard and Buckmark are dead-nots easy to clean and maintain.

BTW, rimfirecentral.com is THE place for tips and hints on different guns, their foibles, and tricks for improving them.

All the best,
    Rob

Last edited:
    Nov 14, 2010
    Kingsville, MD
    The Buckmark you can get barrels shipped to your door. You have to go thru a ffl for the mkIII. With that said, I still bought a 22/45. Handle them first.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    I shoot a Smith 41 It is very easy to clean and switch barrels and it is VERY accurate and comes with a very good trigger and good grips there really is no need to do any work to a mod 41 . I have had mine for 20-25 years now and I am still very happy .

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    For serious level competition there are plenty of expensive options. I have a S&W22a I can swap barrels and mount any number of optics to the full rail on the barrels. With a pistol scope plinking at 100yds is almost too easy. For under $500 I can shoot any rimfire pistol event in 2-3 classes.

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    Interservice Pistol just finished...I took a survey on the line, and the majority of shooters were shooting the Hammerli 208s. There were a few AW93's (Feinwerkbau). Then there was a huge step to S&W 41's, High Standard's, Rugers and finally, quite a few folks who chose to use their service pistol frames with either Marvel Precision or Advantage Arms .22 LR conversions. They're guaranteed to shoot under an inch at 50 yards, and they maintain the grip angle and trigger of your centerfire and .45 pistols...

Plus they're about $350. Truthfully though, any .22 you buy will be better than the shooter... .22's can group around an inch or inch and a half at 50, and even SSgt Henderson can't hold that hard...

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I've shot NRA Bullseye Master class scores with my Mark II Ruger. Centerfire, we won't discuss. The accuracy is there as stated for the entry and mid to mid high levels, even. Jim Clark used a Ruger 22 Auto to win Camp Perry way back in the day. Now, of course, things are more competitive.

CountryBoy

Jun 28, 2012
    O.P.A. Marksman

advertisements are not permitted unless you are a registered Industry Partner nor is selling as an individual if you have less than 50 posts. Please contact DD214 about becoming a registered Industry Partner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom