• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    I have been doing some thinking about adding either a AR-15 or an M-4 to my collection of guns. My question is this, where in Maryland whould someone suggest I go?

I believe it may be cheaper to build my own, but I know diddly about what parts I'd need (upper and a lower, but that is is) and I honestly don't know a bunch about that either.

I'm leaning on you all who have a vast knowledge of these fine guns so I don't make a huge mistake buying something that either won't fit, or cost way too much. I also wanted to know if an AR-15 is purchased in pieces (like a seperate upper and lower) would I need an FFL to do this transaction?

And one more tid bit of info I'd need to know is are all AR-15's legal in Maryland? I wouldn't think a full auto wouldn't be legal unless I paid the fee to be allowed to have an automatic anything? But I'm not even sure about that.

I had found a great artical on the M-4 website that runs through the different pieces and parts, but it's Greek to me as far as understanding. Now if you explain this, please remember I know nadda (but I have built everything in life except what I'm asking about here).

I have knowledge of guns and how they work, and are in no way intimidated by building this if it's the best and cheapest way (actually even if it cost a little more, I should be able to build exactly what I want?) yeah, that was another one of my many questions.

So If there is a suggestion of where to buy, and what to buy. I'm all eyes.

Thanks for your patience. We all had to start some-where.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    The only part I may be able to help is the legal part (I am not a lawyer). All AR15 rifles are legal in MD even full auto and short barreled ARs are legal. However the SBR and the full auto must have the federal tax stamp. The full auto also has to be registered with the state of MD once a year for ten dollars (short barreled does not).

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    if you want to build your own.. the reciever is the part that is considered "regulated" in Maryland. so you buy that from a dealer and wait 7 days to pick up. The rest you can have shipped to you. Or if you want you can buy a full HBAR Rifle Cash and Carry

brianluck

village idiot
    May 28, 2009
    lansdowne
    i've looked at so many ar forums, and websites i see ar's in my sleep. i feel that building one will allow me to save money in the long run. i wont be buying basic then paying to add stuff later. and building allows you to assemble and save over a period of time. thats my opinion. any ffl dealer can handle your lower. weither you order it online and have it shipped to them or buy it from them. which ever you choose they can handle it. so just pick what works best for you.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    The good news is that the availability of ARs has really increased in the last month. I'm seeing 10-12 in the gun shops, rather than maybe 1-2. Plus, prices have started to drop back to relatively reasonable...

Jamie

brianluck

village idiot
    May 28, 2009
    lansdowne
    lower prices=happy buyer! looks like the panic of nobama is starting to settle, guess we will have to wait a little longer for the next civil war

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    You're welcome to stop by my house again and throw a couple rifles up to your shoulder to see which one you like. I'm giving an AR short course on Saturday afternoon if you want to send a few down range. Let me know.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    The prices are certainly coming down on the internet. For a local fix, or to just fondle some, check out Accurate Guns and Ammo in Loveville (St. Mary's). He has several you can look at, but they were bought while costs were still up and the price tag reflects it. Most are around $1,000.

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    Ken, I'd be thrilled to see what you have, and what you'd suggest. And to add actually feeling how they handle, boy that would be GREAT!
    What time Saturday are you talking about?

Thanks again.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    The only part I may be able to help is the legal part (I am not a lawyer). All AR15 rifles are legal in MD even full auto and short barreled ARs are legal. However the SBR and the full auto must have the federal tax stamp. The full auto also has to be registered with the state of MD once a year for ten dollars (short barreled does not).

Where in MD can you shoot full auto? And can you bring a full auto to a range as long as you only shoot it in semiauto, or does that depend on the range?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Where in MD can you shoot full auto? And can you bring a full auto to a range as long as you only shoot it in semiauto, or does that depend on the range?
    A number of ranges allow full auto, but many also do not. Some private indoor ranges in MD even rent them out (not full power rifle cartridges though).
    I know that the private club in Bowie allows full auto (if you certify first) and the commercial range Delmarva Sporting Clays on the Eastern Shore allows anything that is legal in MD to be shot at the range and that includes full auto.
    This is one of the MDShooters shoots at Delmarva.

As far as shooting a full auto in semi, I assume that depends on the range rules.

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    i've looked at so many ar forums, and websites i see ar's in my sleep. i feel that building one will allow me to save money in the long run. i wont be buying basic then paying to add stuff later. and building allows you to assemble and save over a period of time. thats my opinion. any ffl dealer can handle your lower. weither you order it online and have it shipped to them or buy it from them. which ever you choose they can handle it. so just pick what works best for you.

Brian I know exactly how you feel when you say you see AR's in your sleep. I got on this train wanting to own at least one AR-15 and just can't seem to shake this obsession until I end up doing the deed.

Before it wasn't bad because shops and on-line stores didn't have them in stock, nor did they have the parts to complete a 100% useable gun. But now supply is starting to meet up with demand and they seem to be all over. The biggest issue for me is learning about the different parts, and buying exactly what it is I want to own. And nothing less. Sure, it may be expensive in the very beginning, but it's a lot cheaper in the long run buying exactly what you want. This is why I asked so many questions, and why I lean hard on the people in the know.

Oh, thanks for your help.

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    A number of ranges allow full auto, but many also do not. Some private indoor ranges in MD even rent them out (not full power rifle cartridges though).
    I know that the private club in Bowie allows full auto (if you certify first) and the commercial range Delmarva Sporting Clays on the Eastern Shore allows anything that is legal in MD to be shot at the range and that includes full auto.
    This is one of the MDShooters shoots at Delmarva.

As far as shooting a full auto in semi, I assume that depends on the range rules.

Boy I'll bet when this dude shot the 50 Cal even though they were nice short bursts. Wondering the price of each round I'll bet those ten shots were just a little expensive. But I'll also say the smile he had on his face after firing those shots down range was something Tide couldn't wash off.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Boy I'll bet when this dude shot the 50 Cal even though they were nice short bursts. Wondering the price of each round I'll bet those ten shots were just a little expensive. But I'll also say the smile he had on his face after firing those shots down range was something Tide couldn't wash off.

The gun's owner let people fire hundreds of rounds that day. :party29:

He said he bought the rounds when they were super cheap a number of years ago. Here is a video of more full auto at that range that day:

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Sorry for the noob AR questions, but here's another one :D
    Assuming you have a place to shoot full auto, what would be the disadvantages to building your AR that way, other than having to pay the annual tax?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom