• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justice

Apr 18, 2013
    Ok, so I'm under 21, I know I cannot go out and buy a handgun. Recently my father was at a gun bash and won a 1911 .45 ACP. He wants to gift it to me when I'm 21, but I was trying to figure out if there is any legal way for him to give me the gun before I turn 21.

And if possibe, could someone include a link to where this is in md gun laws or something?

Thanks in advane for your help,
    Justice

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I was trying to figure out if there is any legal way for him to give me the gun before I turn 21.

No. You need to wait. If you want something now for not much money, go buy a black powder revolver and practice cleaning/maintaining it.

justice

Apr 18, 2013
    Alright, just wondering. Thanks for the help and quick responses all! Guess I'll just twiddle my thumbs and wait. :innocent0

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    You also have to do paperwork on it when you are going to take possession of it.

This is according to MD State Police:

Can the transfer of a regulated firearm be conducted between two family members?
    Yes, this type of transaction is considered a gift. The law stipulates, if the regulated firearm is a gift to the purchaser’s, spouse, parent, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, or child, the recipient shall:
    (1) Complete an application to purchase or transfer a regulated firearm; and
    (2) Forward the application to the Secretary of the State Police within 5 days after receipt of the regulated firearm.

Is there a fee when a transaction is considered a gift?
    No, the fees are waived.

With the upcoming change in gun laws Oct 1st - Id suggest you follow this procedure, to avoid any future legal ramifications.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    If you want a handgun you'll have to join the Armed Forces.

Ninety9Soulz

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
    Feb 23, 2013
    Hey, at least you have a gun waiting for you when you turn of age. Until then you can still shoot it at the range under his supervision.

Edit: At least I BELIEVE this is allowed. This is MD after all lol...

justice

Apr 18, 2013
    Thanks again everyone who replied. I am currently in the enlistment process for the ANG. So I dont know if that will even help. Just sucks having to wait. Guess I'll take some rocks to the range, and use a stick for home defense. Any ideas on good shotguns? Can a 18 year old still buy a shotgun in Maryland? Or is that banned too. Peoples Republic of Maryland. I like that. Hahahaha :lol2:

Ninety9Soulz

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
    Feb 23, 2013
    Thanks again everyone who replied. I am currently in the enlistment process for the ANG. So I dont know if that will even help. Just sucks having to wait. Guess I'll take some rocks to the range, and use a stick for home defense. Any ideas on good shotguns? Can a 18 year old still buy a shotgun in Maryland? Or is that banned too. Peoples Republic of Maryland. I like that. Hahahaha :lol2:

Yes sir, bought mine when I was 19, had it transferred.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes you can buy a shotgun.

You can go to the range and shoot a handgun, but you have to be with the person over 21 who owns/possesses the handgun.

Possession in the law is not having it in your hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom