• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraZ4GunZ

MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2008
    HoCo
    I'm cruising GB and came across a Red 9 Broomhandle currently @ $655..checked old sales and there was only one other that sold recently (in much better shape) for $705.
    Neither had the shoulder stock/holster.
    Question(s):
    Is there a limitation on commercial 9mm for these guns?
    How easy is it to find aftermarket parts (shoulder stock, stripper clips, leather holster, etc.)?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    They come available occasionally. The majority are bored out 7.65 guns, a real red nine will run between 1500 and 2100. They are scarce contract guns.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Oh and while the general story on that one is ok and if true is fairly valuable, lots of fakes out there check the serial numbers carefully.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Most of the new made holsters are pretty crappy and originals are pricey . If you want a stock for it you will need a original to stay with in c&r regulations . Adding a after market/new production puts you in AOW land . A original will cost you more then the gun . Stripper clips are pretty easy to come by but wether or not they will work correctly is 50/50.

CraZ4GunZ

MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2008
    HoCo
    Thanks for the replies. I was wondering about the price. Fakes didn't even cross my mind.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Oh and while the general story on that one is ok and if true is fairly valuable, lots of fakes out there check the serial numbers carefully.

In agreement with Jimbob ^^^.

True bonafide Red 9's were made in Germany from 1916 to 1918. The serial # range I don't remember but the Blue Book has the serial number ranges of each of the three years mentioned above. An all matching Red 9 in 85% ORIGINAL condition will easily fetch $2K+, this is without shoulder stock or leather. With correct but mismatched SS and L add another several hundred $$$. Completely matching and correct rig (all original and 85% condition) will easily fetch $3,500.00.

My guess is the stuff you're looking at must be very rough and/or not original Red 9's at the prices you stated around the $700.00ish range. Possibly Chinese copies would be my guess.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A good friend's father had one. He aquired it personally from a dead SS ofc, so it was probably authentic.

CraZ4GunZ

MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2008
    HoCo
    ...went back and checked the ser no. and it was in the 120K range which made me lose interest - I didn't have the $1100-1200 it would probably take to buy it...the gun sold for $1050.
    I'm looking for a nice K31 instead. :)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    It might have been worth a chance as the serial numbers on red 9s were 0 to 150,000 but they were independently done as a separate lot so it would be easy to find serial 0 to 150,000 broomhandle bore it out and sell it as a red 9.

Not sure about their story, I know that the neutering part to accomodate the postware treaty on the sight and barrel lenght is correct, not sure about the caliber. Also not sure how that affects value, as most collectors whan the original configuration. If it had had the prussian stamps still on it would have been worth considering.

Military ''Red 9'' pistols had a separate serial number range (1-150000) and were manufactured between 1916 and 1918.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    This one was advertised as "Model of 1920" with the year stamped on the frame/barrel by the ejection port...??? So, it is a bored out 7.65? does this mean its a 'fake'?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=310311337

That's an interesting C-96. It looks like a "Bolo" model.

As to the 1920 stamp, if legit, generally means that it was a German military property stamp. IIRC, it had something to do with the Treaty of Versailles.

Most "Red 9s" had the same adjustable sight that the regular C-96s had, except that the "Red 9" only went up to 450 or 500 meters. The 7.65 version had a longer range sight, perhaps going up to around 1000 meters. Sorry I can't be more exact, I'm doing this from memory.

If you decide to get one and shoot it, I recommend shooting 115 gr FMJ out of it. Depending on the condition of the piece as well, I might recommend putting new springs in, too.

CraZ4GunZ

MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2008
    HoCo
    Thank you for the replies. There is so much to learn about these classic old vets, but I'm still buying as many as my wallet (aka. Wifey) will allow before they are gone. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom