• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    Hey guys, I've always enjoyed my girlfriends free Antenna TV more than my Directv so I figured I would run out to radioshack and get some good ol bunny ears w/ amplifier and try my luck. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time snagging channels. I'm mainly interested in is picking up the MHZ channels (RT, Al Jazeera, etc) but I do love some of the old movie and nature shows of the other channels. Can anyone give me any pointers? Thanks in advance guys.

She lives around Marlton. I'm in Brandywine, down the street from Brandywine Auto specifically. Not sure if that info helps or not.

xcavater

Fed Up
    Oct 27, 2008
    MD
    I assume you bought a Digital TV antenna?
    Antenna direction and antenna height is about all there is.
    Antenna height would be first.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I assume you bought a Digital TV antenna?
    Antenna direction and antenna height is about all there is.
    Antenna height would be first.

key word right there.. :thumbsup:

and dont you need a box also if your tv dont have digital reciever/tuner?

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    Yea everything is definitely digital compatible. It gets a mix of the UHF and VHF channels depending on how I move it. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3611256

But so far it's getting to few channels at any given time to justify the $35. I was playing with the idea of getting a big outdoor antenna...but I think it's fair to assume that is waaay to much trouble to watch some foreign news that I can just stream online anyways....

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Yea everything is definitely digital compatible. It gets a mix of the UHF and VHF channels depending on how I move it. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3611256

But so far it's getting to few channels at any given time to justify the $35. I was playing with the idea of getting a big outdoor antenna...but I think it's fair to assume that is waaay to much trouble to watch some foreign news that I can just stream online anyways....

im not a fan of them indoor antenna's.. you'll probably need them outdoor type that mounts on top of the roof to get a better receptions.

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    man...what a let down. i thought you were talking about Antenna TV

:o

Actually I think that is one of the local channels (50-60 range). Or at least one of the channels plays alot of Married with Children, Three stooges and once had a Benny Hill three hour marathon (BEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE!!!). I was amazed that my girlfriend actually enjoyed watching Benny Hill with me :heart:

I could watch those three shows all day :D

Edit: I was going to give up on the antenna because I can just stream most of the news channels like RT America on my computer but you rekindled my desire to get these channels! I'm going to find an outdoor antenna, there has to be someone around here with one of those big honkers on his house that would love if I took it off for him.

xcavater

Fed Up
    Oct 27, 2008
    MD
    I have the 35 dollar RCA antenna from Walmart on my boat and get 30+ channels digital where I used to get 2 vhf and 3 uhf analog if I was lucky. I still say that height above sea level is key. If you are in a low spot, you may need to go outside on your roof or maybe a tower.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Get an amplified antenna, and a digital converter if your TV dosnt already have a converter built in. I use an amplified TV top unit. The higher the amplifier the better.

Sea level dosnt always matter - Im at 3000 FT above sea level, and get limited channels. I do get channels from Ohio (Im in Western MD by the way), WV, and local PBS. Most channels have mutlitple sub channels, especially PBS.

You still have to fidagle with the antenna ears to get channels -but there either fully clear - or no reception.

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    I have three of these antennas :
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00196757K

and three Roku players and bam. HD over the air for football and local news (i get some 20 channels in HD over the air). Roku covers my netflix/crackle/hulu/amazon/pandora/etc internet based tv watching.

EDIT: I have no cable TV but I do have midgrade internet service.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I just got a DB4 antenna, stuck it in the closet upstairs, and ran a cable downstairs to the TV. It is AWESOME! I get 40+ channels for free, all the DC and Baltimore channels. There's nothing good to watch, but that's the same as cable, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom