• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I have found a Browning Citori Lightning (rounded pistol grip and narrow forearm). It has a good nick on the bottom of the pisol grip. Bores are good and action is tight. Invector chokes. Is $995 a good price for that gun?

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I paid about $700 for mine,, but it is fixed chokes,, around 1980 vintage if I remember correctly. Doesn't sound too bad for yours,, but I'm not the expert.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Is it a 12 or 20? What length bbls? Either way it's a good all around gun, worth $800-1100 depending on condition and configuration. $900 would be a fair price for any Lightning.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Browning's "Lightning" series are essentially limited edition guns that have some embellishments that make them harken back to the original Browning Superposed - and are usually only sold at the big national "Shot Show" to full-line Browning dealers. The most evident embellishment is the rounded grip you mentioned - which is known as the "Prince of Wales" grip, btw. It makes a nice looking presentation, and the Lightning's are nice all-around guns, but I'll admit I much prefer Browning's standard pistol-style grip with the right-hand palm swell. It feels MUCH better in my hands. But, with any gun, this is subjective to my tastes and how I shoot.

The price sounds about right if in excellent condition, especially if it is one with grade IV wood (and even better if with grade VII lumber). Do you know which Citori it is - i.e. 425 series, 525 series, etc.? If you have a serial number you can go to Browning's website and find it's manufacture date. If it has Invector chokes and not Invector Plus I expect it would be a 425.

But most importantly, the gun should fit you well and suit your shooting needs.

bruppert

Dec 4, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Good gun for Trap?

I found one that a guy is asking $1200 for. Condition 90 - 95%.

12 ga. Grade 1 Lightning w/28" barrels, 3" chambers, Invector plus chokes(I.C.,Mod.,Full) with factory box.

Price sounds a bit high though.

Question:
    Would this be a decent first gun for shooting Trap?

I have a Win. 1200 but I haven't shot it in years and going to cut down the barrel and designate it for home defense. I am looking for something nicer, both in looks and more appropriate for shooting clays. I may go bird hunting with it but undecided.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Wow, a resurrected thread.

I did not buy that gun I mentioned above in 2011 and now know a lot more than I did then. IMHO 28” barrels are too short for trap (short sighting plane) and the resale value of a 28” barreled gun is not great. (Don't ask me how I know.)
    Check out the price on gunbroker. The price is not too bad, although it is a Grade 1.

In my experience, that gun would be good for skeet (with some sk chokes) but not so good for trap as it is a flat shooter and short, and you will need to really cover the rising bird in trap.

That being said, as an all around gun (Sporting Clays, 5-stand, Skeet, Hunting, Trap in that order) it's a good gun. Can be used for most anything.

If trap is the main function, consider a BT-99 with a M and maybe a IM choke.

How does it swing for you? Swing some other guns too.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I found one that a guy is asking $1200 for. Condition 90 - 95%.

12 ga. Grade 1 Lightning w/28" barrels, 3" chambers, Invector plus chokes(I.C.,Mod.,Full) with factory box.

Price sounds a bit high though.

Question:
    Would this be a decent first gun for shooting Trap?

I have a Win. 1200 but I haven't shot it in years and going to cut down the barrel and designate it for home defense. I am looking for something nicer, both in looks and more appropriate for shooting clays. I may go bird hunting with it but undecided.

No, that's not such a good gun for Trap.... moreso for Skeet.

bruppert

Dec 4, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I haven't seen the gun yet other than pics. The guy lives about 90 minutes north of me. I liked that the price is rather low but from what I've read it probably isn't the best choice. I don't want to spend more than $3k if I can help it though.

I want to buy one gun that I can use for all of what you mentioned (trap, skeet, sporting clays, etc) but will probably start with Trap and 5-stand. I believe they have both at Loch Raven.

I like what I've read about the Citori 725 then there are ones by Beretta, Perazzi, Kreighoff and Guerini. The last 2 are beautiful guns but probably out of my price range.... especially since I am not exactly sure what I am looking for. I saw some absolutely beautiful Guerini's online but they get expensive pretty quick.

Me and the Mrs. are going to a Gun Show tomorrow. She wants a Silver Hunter (Clays and she will go bird hunting). I am trying to build a list of what I want to look at. Do you have any suggestions?

I'd be looking for the following (or anything else you might suggest)
    - Fit and Finish. I like the traditional look. I do not like the styling of the Cynergy's. The look is fairly important.
    - Balance. Do not want it front heavy.
    - Like to keep kick at a minimum but I can add a pad.
    - 12 ga.
    - O/U
    - Single trigger that auto switches to the next barrel
    - Do NOT want Porting. I can't find any reason for it and it seems like it'd make a mess.
    - Interchangeable Chokes
    - Suitability for the various clay games.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I haven't seen the gun yet other than pics. The guy lives about 90 minutes north of me. I liked that the price is rather low but from what I've read it probably isn't the best choice. I don't want to spend more than $3k if I can help it though.
    Lots of guns in your price range, especially used.
    I want to buy one gun that I can use for all of what you mentioned (trap, skeet, sporting clays, etc) but will probably start with Trap and 5-stand. I believe they have both at Loch Raven.
    LR has Trap, Skeet, Wobble Trap and 5-Stand. A good Sporting gun will do all you want with the exception of Trap. It will do Trap but is not Optimal. Trap is the one game where you want a gun with a higher point of impact, that is higher than the point of aim, as you are shooting rising targets.
    I like what I've read about the Citori 725 then there are ones by Beretta, Perazzi, Kreighoff and Guerini. The last 2 are beautiful guns but probably out of my price range.... especially since I am not exactly sure what I am looking for. I saw some absolutely beautiful Guerini's online but they get expensive pretty quick.
    You'll like Beretta better than Brownings or vice versa. They are different, but both good. For $3k you can get a good used sporting Beretta or Browning and a Browning BT-99 Trap Gun. then you are covered for all games.
    Me and the Mrs. are going to a Gun Show tomorrow. She wants a Silver Hunter (Clays and she will go bird hunting). I am trying to build a list of what I want to look at. Do you have any suggestions? PLEASE PLEASE, shoot some guns before you buy. Both of you. (How does she know she wants a Silver Hunter? Shot one? LOP correct?
    I'd be looking for the following (or anything else you might suggest)
    - Fit and Finish. I like the traditional look. I do not like the styling of the Cynergy's. The look is fairly important.
    - Balance. Do not want it front heavy.
    - Like to keep kick at a minimum but I can add a pad.This has to do with gun fit.- 12 ga.
    - O/U
    - Single trigger that auto switches to the next barrel
    - Do NOT want Porting. I can't find any reason for it and it seems like it'd make a mess. Good move to avoid it- Interchangeable Chokes
    - Suitability for the various clay games.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Any quality gun, will give you all the above but gun fit is VERY IMPORTANT.
    You can find a used Guerini Sporting Gun with 30" or 32" barrels in your price range if you take your time and look.

ps: I have Guerinis, Berettas, BT-99 and Zoli Skeet. I am a LR much too often (several times a week every week). Let me know by PM and I'll bring some guns you can try.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Any quality gun, will give you all the above but gun fit is VERY IMPORTANT.
    You can find a used Guerini Sporting Gun with 30" or 32" barrels in your price range if you take your time and look.

ps: I have Guerinis, Berettas, BT-99 and Zoli Skeet. I am a LR much too often (several times a week every week). Let me know by PM and I'll bring some guns you can try.

I second that. The Guerini's are sweet guns. One of the best values out there, IMHO

punchBIGholes

Nov 29, 2011
    Catonsville
    also get look up the dates Browning Salt wood was used. there were a few times browning was in serious need of good walnut and the supplier used salt in place of kiln drying. you can see the issue with connecting a beautiful Citori action to a piece of salted wood. the majority of them were in the late 60's i think but there are some other times salt wood was used.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    also get look up the dates Browning Salt wood was used. there were a few times browning was in serious need of good walnut and the supplier used salt in place of kiln drying. you can see the issue with connecting a beautiful Citori action to a piece of salted wood. the majority of them were in the late 60's i think but there are some other times salt wood was used.

This is a very important point.

My FIL has a 95% Browning Lightning. Non-salt wood. Built in the 60's (IIRC). 30" F/IM. Gun was made in Belgium. He is asking $1800. I'm sure he would take less. Before you say I'm retarded, look at what these guns go for. It is in the range of the fair market price. Last time I mentioned it I had a lot of people telling me they could get the same gun for $800. You can't.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Salt wood can affect guns '66-'73. It is not every gun in this year range. I have a '68 Broadway that does not have salt wood. I have seen a couple and it usually is easy to tell. There is some rust where the wood meets the metal. You can also test it with silver nitrate. Take off the recoil pad and swab it with a silver nitrate solution. If the wood turns white, it's salt wood. If you avoid this issue, the Belgian made Brownings are well built and hold their value.

bruppert

Dec 4, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    The Silver Hunter was recc. by her brother as an all around good gun for clays and hunting. He has hunted since a kid so 40+ years. Doesn't make him an expert but he's a pretty smart guy. She did both trap and hunting years ago and has a love for Browning. She's a smart lady and will listen to reason but will probably listen to her bro figuring she can always pickup another gun later on. They are around $1,000 new so not a major loss if she decides to sell it later. We'll try to get her fitted right. If need be I should be able to lengthen the stock with pads or cut the stock down. I was a machinist for 14+ years and have friends with shops, I have most of the AGI gunsmithing videos and make pool cues for a hobby. The worst that could happen is I screw it up and have to buy her a new stock :)

Love to meet you at Loch Raven! Are you going this weekend? I'll shoot you a PM with my number. Thanks!

Oh, just talked to the Mrs and found out what I was missing. She wants it to hunt with. She's planning to do sporting clays but its mainly for practice to hunt. I don't have any big desire to hunt. So I guess I'll get a trap gun and one for the other sports and we can share.

bruppert

Dec 4, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks

Redcobra, thank you very much for today. My wife says thank you as well. That was extremely nice of you. Thanks for the hookup with Jack Bart too. We will definitely go to his shop.

The only bummer about the day is the cost just tripled for my wife. She still wants the Browning Silver Hunter but also wants the Beretta Silver Pidgeon. She's gonna have to wait for the 2nd gun..... I want a new toy too.

Hope we see you at the range sometime soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom