• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kwcraft

No witty username
    Apr 7, 2009
    NOT MARYLAND
    Does anyone recommend going to Select Fire to shoot? I just got my 1911 and want to put some rounds through it, but aside from driving out to western maryland I don't really know where to go to shoot it. Select Fire is right down the street from the house, but I've heard some horror stories about the guys that work there.

Any opinions?

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Continental Arms in Timonium would be a bit of a drive for you, but is the next closest alternative if you find that you don't like On Target or Select Fire.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I dropped in On Target one evening on the way home from work and was able to browse without being accosted....asked a few questions and left with some ammo. Pretty routine stuff for them, I imagine, but it was nice not being treated like an idiot.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    Baddevildog and I were in SF last Thursday; not a problem....zip. Wayne was there when we came in (said no cell phones) :bullhorn: I lifted my shirt and said no cell phone :crazy: and laughed and then he laughed, and the "kid" was there when we left (spent 10 minutes showing us pics of his car he's restoring) :thumbsup:. Not personal friends with either, only been in there since last year, less than a dozen times and I'm not a good old boy. :draw: I don't like going when it's crowded, but during the week you don't have to deal with that. I think there may have been one person when we got there who came and left, and another 2 that were together who came in while we were there.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've shot at two indoor ranges in the area - Select Fire and On Target.

I bought a family membership to On Target.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I frequent On-Target, I like the people there and it's closer. I went to Select-Fire once about a year ago. The range itself is nice, but dimly-lit. No horror story, but the guy that checked us in was a bit abrupt and ragged on me for having a Glock... :shrug: Considering On-Target's closer, they'll get my business. I've yet to try out Continental, it's farther away but I'll check it out sometime.

May 25, 2009
    halethorpe
    i like on target myslef i even bought my xd-45 from there,nice ppl and they remember you and are very friendly, last time i was at select fire i was with a buddy who was off duty baltimore police and they talked down to him like he was an idiot and didnt know anything about a gun or his job..dont care for select fire at..wouldnt go if it was the only place to shoot

on target:thumbsup:

select fire:tdown:

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    I shoot there and have never had any problems. My advice is to go and make your own conclusion. :thumbsup:

I go in. Get my lane and shoot. Pay and leave. I have never asked any questions or bought anything from them.

Just remember to leave your cell phone in the car. :sad20:

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    how is continental? i've yet to make it out there. always looking to try new places

I really like it. It's not the holy grail of ranges by any means, but the staff are great. They have a wide variety of guns for sale/rent, and all the wonderful little accessories that your heart could desire. We have a couple members that work up there, so if you play your cards right, you might even get some free/discounted range time.

Speaking of, it's been a little while since I've been up there. Better change that tomorrow. :thumbsup:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I may give Select Fire another chance at some point - that would only be fair because the one thing that never changes is that nothing ever stays the same, and it's possible that my next experience there won't be like my last experience there.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Generally, I shoot at Horst & McCann.....I know they are far from perfect and might be a little on the pricey side and have a somewhat quirky ammo policy, but it was the first place I shot, and they treat me really well up there. The guys know me and I am usually in and out of there hassle free. Additionally, my daughter can shoot there and that is a big plus for me.

Continental had decent service the times I have been in there to browse or shop....have not shot there. On Target seemed like a good place, the guys in there were really friendly. Regarding Select Fire, the negative vibes have been so much that I have no desire to go all the way there for a place that runs THAT hot and cold.

May 25, 2009
    halethorpe
    i had the same thoughts,so after the first time i gave it another shot and it was worse..then my buddy i mentioned above convinced me to go a third and that when it got bad i wont go back if i was payed to

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    I guess it depends what you want from a place. I want to be left alone for the most part. I usually buy from Dan @ GC, accessories there or the net, ammo (not at a range) different places. I don't really have any questions or not really interested in renting anything. I like concrete barriers when there are rentals involved (not that experienced shooters can't be negligent). I guess my feeling re: OT is I don't particularlly like the fact it's in a strip mall, the area or the idea walking to my car with a gear bag unarmed. Not saying SF is ideal, but usually it's only 10 -12 steps furthest to my car and I can scope the entire parking lot from the door. :cool: I mean one complaint about Bass Pro is people don't like to feel vulnerable leaving there unarmed carrying out a firearm related purchase. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom