• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NYKh

Fear & Loathing
    Sep 29, 2009
    Whitemarsh
    In this state, is it necessary to register hand guns? I bought a Glock in the mid 90’s when I lived out of state, moved back here in 99, never gave registering it a thought. Does it need to be registered? Do I need to fear the brown shirts at my door?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    No, the only Glock handgun which must be registered is the full auto Glock 18.

Except for full auto, registration is voluntary in the state of Maryland even for handguns.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    # I am moving here from out of state and own a firearm, am I required to register the firearm? (Note: If the firearm is an assault pistol it cannot be transported into Maryland)
    If the firearm has been obtained legally, you are not required to register the firearm; however, you can voluntarily register the firearm with the Maryland State Police.
    http://www.mdgunsafety.com/mspfaq.htm

NYKh

Fear & Loathing
    Sep 29, 2009
    Whitemarsh
    The google is strong in that one.

They said "voluntarily register"......

Ok now that I’m using my google powers, I’m getting a little confused.

"I am moving here from out of state and own a firearm, am I required to register the firearm? (Note: If the firearm is an assault pistol it cannot be transported into Maryland)
    If the firearm has been obtained legally, you are not required to register the firearm; however, you can voluntarily register the firearm with the Maryland State Police."
    Then
    "Am I required to register my shotguns and rifles?
    No, provided they are not classified as assault weapons. "
    According to the list:
    AK-47 in all forms
    Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle
    SKS with detachable magazine
    Bushmaster semi-auto rifle

Are all assault Weapons and regulated, so then the weapons above will need to be registered, correct?

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    No, the only Glock handgun which must be registered is the full auto Glock 18.

Except for full auto, registration is voluntary in the state of Maryland even for handguns.

you forgot about teh GLOCK model 7.

it has to be registered too, since it goes right thru metal detectors. those things cost more than I make in a month!

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    you forgot about teh GLOCK model 7.

it has to be registered too, since it goes right thru metal detectors. those things cost more than I make in a month!

I had a Glock Model 7 with the Tactical Mall Ninja Kit, but I traded it in on this.

Mark

Attachments

• DSCN0784.jpg
      DSCN0784.jpg
      46 KB · Views: 1,525
    • DSCN0785.jpg
      DSCN0785.jpg
      43.1 KB · Views: 1,457

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    you got ripped off man.. that Sig ain't even porceline.

Ya, to add insult to injury it was built 30 years ago... you'd think someone would have offered me a newer gun when I had the tactical mall ninja edition... but no one would touch it for fear of prosecution.

Mark

Jim Keenan

Aug 16, 2008
    The only firearms that have to be registered in MD are machineguns.

Any person outside of MD who currently owns any other firearm and moves into the state with the firearm does NOT have to register the firearm. (Note that "assault pistols", as defined in the law, cannot be registered; they are illegal to possess in MD.)

Jim

CanaryWolf

Dec 7, 2014
    Is this thread still accurate?

Hi all. I'm moving to Maryland from Texas. Is it still the case that the handgun registry in Md. is voluntary?

Kyle

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The only firearms that have to be registered in MD are machineguns.

Any person outside of MD who currently owns any other firearm and moves into the state with the firearm does NOT have to register the firearm. (Note that "assault pistols", as defined in the law, cannot be registered; they are illegal to possess in MD.)

Jim

Ummm, incorrect, MD law dictates that any person moving into MD with the intention of becoming a permanent resident has 90 days to register their handguns and regulated/now banned long guns.

All regulated firearms can be registered on the same form for the same $15 fee.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Hi all. I'm moving to Maryland from Texas. Is it still the case that the handgun registry in Md. is voluntary?

Kyle

If you are going to become a permanent resident, then you have 90 days after establishing residence to register your handguns and regulated/now banned long guns.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Ummm, incorrect, MD law dictates that any person moving into MD with the intention of becoming a permanent resident has 90 days to register their handguns and regulated/now banned long guns.

All regulated firearms can be registered on the same form for the same $15 fee.

You responded to a post from 2009...

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Kyle

Much of Maryland is an easy commute from one of the surrounding gun friendlier states. Many people who work in Maryland live in surrounding states for other reasons also like taxes, schools, cost of housing etc. Do some checking on all these and similar factors when making your decision of where to live. Many Marylanders are moving out of state because of these things. We have a Flush Tax on toilets, a Rain Tax on rain, an Income Tax for both state and county (something Texas lacks) however our sales tax is only 6% so you will save a little there but our gas tax is much higher than TX. Delaware one of our border states has no sales tax, Pennsylvania another border state has lower income tax, and so on so you need to do a lot of homework to find what is best for you.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Actually he didn't. He responded to a question posted yesterday asking if the OP was still accurate.

What are you retarded? Look at the post he quotes. You see that date. August 13, 2009. 5 Years ago.

He even admitted that he did. Thats why he said, "So I did. Just call me Lazarus" As in he accidentally brought a post from 5 years ago back from the dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom