• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rstickle

Jul 12, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    The Maryland Designated Collector (MDC)" status is a MARYLAND status that allows a person to purchase more than one "regulated firearm" (Handguns or "Assault Rifles") in a month within the state of Maryland. You can ask a local dealer for the form. It needs to be certified and mailed to the Maryland State Police. You should receive the status in about a month.

This is basically all I've seen so far about MDC regulations. I just finished trying to find more info on the MSP site, which was worthless.

The reason I'm looking is that I heard someone yesterday say there is an annual limit of 12 regulated firearms per year even with the MDC, never heard that, but would sure like to know it it's true or if there are any other restrictions.

Anyone know, or point me to the right place to look?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    This is basically all I've seen so far about MDC regulations. I just finished trying to find more info on the MSP site, which was worthless.

The reason I'm looking is that I heard someone yesterday say there is an annual limit of 12 regulated firearms per year even with the MDC, never heard that, but would sure like to know it it's true or if there are any other restrictions.

Anyone know, or point me to the right place to look?

There is no 12 regulated firearm limit.

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/29/29.03.01.04.htm
    http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/

D. For the purpose of this regulation, a collector is an individual who:

(1) Devotes time and attention to acquiring certain types of regulated firearms for the enhancement of the collector's personal collection and does not act as a firearm dealer; or

(2) Possesses a Federal Collector's License (Curio and Relics).

E. The Secretary shall adopt an application form to be used by an individual who desires to be designated as a collector. The application shall contain:

(1) The applicant's:

(a) Full name;

(b) Address;

(c) Driver's license or photographic identification soundex number;

(d) Social Security number;

(e) Date and place of birth;

(f) Height;

(g) Weight;

(h) Race;

(i) Sex;

(j) Eye color;

(k) Hair color;

(l) Occupation; and

(m) Home and work telephone numbers; and

(2) The nature of the applicant's collecting activities.

F. The applicant shall sign the application and certify under penalty of perjury that the information in the application is true and correct.

G. Incomplete or illegible applications shall be disapproved.

H. An individual who desires to be designated as a collector shall have the application notarized and submit the application by first class mail to the Secretary requesting this designation.

I. If the individual is not prohibited by federal or State law from purchasing or possessing a regulated firearm, the notarized application shall be sufficient for a designation as a collector.

J. If the individual is designated by the Secretary to be a collector, the Secretary shall notify the individual in writing within 14 days of receiving the individual's request.

K. If the individual is denied a request to be a collector or has had the collector designation revoked, the individual may request a review of the decision in writing or request a hearing before the Commander of the Licensing Division, Supervisor of the Firearms Registration Section, or the denying officer within 30 days of the notification of denial or revocation.

L. The individual shall be granted a review of the denial to be designated a collector within 30 days of the individual's request for review.

M. An individual must be designated as a collector by the Secretary before applying to purchase multiple regulated firearms as a collector.

N. The Secretary shall revoke without prejudice an individual's designated collector's status by written notification forwarded to the individual in person or by mail to the individual's last known address if the individual is:

(1) Under indictment for a crime of violence; or

(2) Arrested for any violation that would prohibit the purchase or possession of a regulated firearm.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    J. If the individual is designated by the Secretary to be a collector, the Secretary shall notify the individual in writing within 14 days of receiving the individual's request.

Now there's a rule I didn't know about. Interesting considering the wait times of months people are having.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County

Now there's a rule I didn't know about. Interesting considering the wait times of months people are having.

I. If the individual is not prohibited by federal or State law from purchasing or possessing a regulated firearm, the notarized application shall be sufficient for a designation as a collector.

I'm reading this to mean once your properly filled out application is in the mail you are a collector.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

I'm reading this to mean once your properly filled out application is in the mail you are a collector.

No.

I mailed my form in last August 14, and my Designated Collector status was dated December 19. I didn't actually receive the letter until late January.

During the period, I bought a couple of regulated firearms, and played it safe by answering "no" to the question, "Are you a Designated Collector?" (or however it's phrased).

Turns out I was right to play it safe.

Anyway, it looks like MSP is guilty of violating their own rules. Maybe I should sue them for mental anguish. Who knows how many ill-advised impulse purchases they prevented me from making?

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    No.

I mailed my form in last August 14, and my Designated Collector status was dated December 19. I didn't actually receive the letter until late January.

During the period, I bought a couple of regulated firearms, and played it safe by answering "no" to the question, "Are you a Designated Collector?" (or however it's phrased).

Turns out I was right to play it safe.

Anyway, it looks like MSP is guilty of violating their own rules. Maybe I should sue them for mental anguish. Who knows how many ill-advised impulse purchases they prevented me from making?

I played it safe too. I got a call from someone at MSP who said I had been approved but I waited until I had the letter in my grubby little paw before I tried claiming the collector designation.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I was approved in mid December, but still have not received my letter. I have an email from the office who approved me stating you can start buying now and any dealer who has a question is free to contact me.

I bought 3 stripped lowers at once a few weeks later with no issues. I also picked up a Glock 23 a week or so later. Again, no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom