• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Midgettem1

Jarhead
    Jun 7, 2011
    NOVA
    Anyway to remove this without buying the special tools from Fulton Armory or another place? I'm trying to replace the barrel band with one with a bayonet lug and a sling swivel.

Midgettem1

Jarhead
    Jun 7, 2011
    NOVA
    Thanks RJ. I watched that earlier, and I think I'm just going to suck up the $50 bucks and get the tools. I really don't want to chance damaging the finish on the rifle any more than I have to.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Thanks RJ. I watched that earlier, and I think I'm just going to suck up the $50 bucks and get the tools. I really don't want to chance damaging the finish on the rifle any more than I have to.

Good plan :thumbsup: Do you have a bayonet yet ? as of late a ww2 m4 with the leather stacked handles are running around $250 . hes one of mine ,a Inland .

Attachments

• m1 carbine.jpg
      m1 carbine.jpg
      82.6 KB · Views: 1,814

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Let me know how it goes, I have a Universal front sight that someone ground the ears off of and have been wondering if a GI replacement would fit. I havent mic'd the barrel to see if they are the same diameter either

I dont think I have the front sight tool or I would loan it to you, I know I have a rear tool.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Off topic...how does your Universal shoot? I just picked one up and its a nice rifle but doesn't have the best reviews!

Mine shoots ok, its early with a cast bolt handle. As accurate as the others,but it does tend to jam on low power ammo (Aguilla) handloads and wolf shoot flawlessly.

Midgettem1

Jarhead
    Jun 7, 2011
    NOVA
    Wow, that's a nice looking Carbine. I don't have the bayonet yet- I saw the CMP had ones in various conditions. I don't think my wife is going to let me drop $250 on a knife ;)

Jimbob- from what I've read the front sight posts should be interchangeable, depending on the year of your rifle. I'd check here: http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_universal.html
    They might be able to lead you in the right direction.

Fivepointstar- I just got my go-nogo-field gauges in from Fulton Armory last night- everything checks out as far as headspace is concerned. I'll hopefully be able to go shoot it at a buddy's farm tomorrow. I'll do a range report when it happens ;)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wow, that's a nice looking Carbine. I don't have the bayonet yet- I saw the CMP had ones in various conditions. I don't think my wife is going to let me drop $250 on a knife ;)

Jimbob- from what I've read the front sight posts should be interchangeable, depending on the year of your rifle. I'd check here: http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_universal.html
    They might be able to lead you in the right direction.

Fivepointstar- I just got my go-nogo-field gauges in from Fulton Armory last night- everything checks out as far as headspace is concerned. I'll hopefully be able to go shoot it at a buddy's farm tomorrow. I'll do a range report when it happens ;)

Thanks I have been to that site a number of times as the owner of two commercial M1s and one Quasi Commercial (Howa) At some point I need to sit down with my universal and see how it fits. I know mine has the GI type trigger housing (though not known if GI) does not have set screw on the barrel, but the barrel is definately not GI cut rifling (additional grooves).

Commercial M1s used to be fun to collect as they priced very low, but there pricing now typically doesnt make it wortwhile to buy one over a GI model (~$150 premium). That said there are a few rare variants I wouldnt mind having for the collection but an IBM comes first!

Midgettem1

Jarhead
    Jun 7, 2011
    NOVA
    I bought mine at a gunshow not too long ago (obviously- I haven't had time to take it to the range). I wish I had done a little bit more research on it before I made the (impulse?) buy, but it wasn't too expensive and everything checks out so far. I'm fairly certain all my parts are commercial. It appears to be a second gen Universal, without the bolt catch and with the double springs. It does have the GI style bolt.

In the end, I'd like to put a paratrooper stock on it. I know that it's going to require some woodworking to fit- but I have a buddy that's a carpenter that should be able to do it. Unfortunately all the stocks I've been able to locate it have been almost 200 bucks.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I bought mine at a gunshow not too long ago (obviously- I haven't had time to take it to the range). I wish I had done a little bit more research on it before I made the (impulse?) buy, but it wasn't too expensive and everything checks out so far. I'm fairly certain all my parts are commercial. It appears to be a second gen Universal, without the bolt catch and with the double springs. It does have the GI style bolt.

In the end, I'd like to put a paratrooper stock on it. I know that it's going to require some woodworking to fit- but I have a buddy that's a carpenter that should be able to do it. Unfortunately all the stocks I've been able to locate it have been almost 200 bucks.

I would just buy an Inland or GI for a para, at the price of the italian repro stocks its hard to justify cutting one up unless you come across a deal (my father got his at the funshow for $20, think I paid $120 for mine that ironically came from a Quality Hardware my father bought ina separate transaction at another time, of course i have actually found myself bidding unknown against the old man on stuff too!)

I think I will pull my Universal out tonight for a closer look.

We've all seen this picture before but it is the 2nd one from the top
    IMG_0798.JPG

Looking at this pic its definately not a GI trigger guard, looks like the middle Universal make. (Yes the para at the bottom is a clone :) its my camp gun)

Midgettem1

Jarhead
    Jun 7, 2011
    NOVA
    That's probably not a bad idea on the para stock. I'm not opposed to having two models of the M1- one with the para stock and the other standard. I do want to replace the metal heat guard on the Universal with a wooden one though. I just prefer feel of the wood over the metal.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    That's probably not a bad idea on the para stock. I'm not opposed to having two models of the M1- one with the para stock and the other standard. I do want to replace the metal heat guard on the Universal with a wooden one though. I just prefer feel of the wood over the metal.

Everyone needs a GI one right? Last two inlands (usually the cheapest) I have bought for less than $700 or so with extras. So they are out there.

I know i am poking around for one with early features (no bayo and a flip sight) or one that is not staked heavily enough that I can make a clone to do a clone of a paratrooper in original trim. The one pictured is a little bit of a beater.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    I am curently trying to restore a plainfield into a GI Shooter and the only issue left is the missing front sling loop...could one of You fella's post a good close up of that puppy? I have the correct dia.wire and can fab it but my other carbine is at the shack in Jacks so I need some help!Could Pm if it's easier.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I am curently trying to restore a plainfield into a GI Shooter and the only issue left is the missing front sling loop...could one of You fella's post a good close up of that puppy? I have the correct dia.wire and can fab it but my other carbine is at the shack in Jacks so I need some help!Could Pm if it's easier.

These are a JM bayo mount .

Attachments

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      79.1 KB · Views: 772
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      77.2 KB · Views: 790

mch28

Sep 20, 2007

Here's my Universal with a repro paratrooper stock. It took a lot of work, but is a good upgrade. Only complaint is that there isn't much finger room on the grip between the trigger guard and sling mount.
    m1-1.jpg

m1-3.jpg

Midgettem1

Jarhead
    Jun 7, 2011
    NOVA
    Here's my Universal with a repro paratrooper stock. It took a lot of work, but is a good upgrade. Only complaint is that there isn't much finger room on the grip between the trigger guard and sling mount.

That looks great! For my own reference, how long did it take you, and what what did the majority of the work entail?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom