• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Says no jig needed. Obviously not legal to complete post 10/1 :sad20:, but an interesting product never the less. I think the sale ends today, then back to $65.

I have no experience or opinion with/on these.

http://www.eparmory.com/Lower-Receivers-s/1819.htm

From the seller:

Description:
    • Extremely durable kevlar reinforced polymer
    • Limited lifetime warranty
    • No jig needed
    • Made in the U.S.A.
    • Corrosion resistant and petroleum chemical resistant
    • Lightweight design
    • No coatings to worry about scratching
    • 1/3 the cost $$$ of all competition due to JIG-LESS design
    Make your own AR-15 without the hassle of serial numbers and registration. With our jig-less EP 80% AR 15 lower receiver, you can easily build your own AR 15 at home with general tools. Get your own EP80 receiver today and put the second amendment back into your hands.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I got one pre October and finished it. Seems fine to me, you just need patience and to take your time.

Most of the bad reviews I've seen seem to be operator error in my opinion.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk 2

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If it is truly Kevlar reinforced, but at 80%, carving out the fire control group well would be a PITA. Kevlar is VERY hard to cut.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I have one of these and finishing it (prior Oct 1 ofc) was relatively easy. I bought a blem for $10 ..figured why not.

Used a drill press as I could not find the right router tool for the dremel. Was relatively easy just take your time. The FCG area is a different color so its easy to do. I have heard problems come with the take down hole, etc. The big issue is alignment.

I ordered a LPK lat week and am waiting for it to come in. I will give you feedback once I get it.

One thing to mention this was the first lower or "gun smithing" I have ever done so any screw ups could just be my fault.

The material feels very strong. I also have a new frontier poly lower and according to reviews that is a good lower. The material on the EP Lower is MUCH MUCH stronger.

I did not risk buying one of the 80% polymer lowers from 80% or whatever his name is. I have seen ONE youtube review which states the 80% lower is better than EP but not for functionality but because of the jig. If the holes do not line up on my EP then I can see why the jib would be better for that portion.

I will be putting the LPK in both the EP and the NW just to see fitting.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I have one of these and finishing it (prior Oct 1 ofc) was relatively easy. I bought a blem for $10 ..figured why not.

Used a drill press as I could not find the right router tool for the dremel. Was relatively easy just take your time. The FCG area is a different color so its easy to do. I have heard problems come with the take down hole, etc. The big issue is alignment.

I ordered a LPK lat week and am waiting for it to come in. I will give you feedback once I get it.

One thing to mention this was the first lower or "gun smithing" I have ever done so any screw ups could just be my fault.

The material feels very strong. I also have a new frontier poly lower and according to reviews that is a good lower. The material on the EP Lower is MUCH MUCH stronger.

I did not risk buying one of the 80% polymer lowers from 80% or whatever his name is. I have seen ONE youtube review which states the 80% lower is better than EP but not for functionality but because of the jig. If the holes do not line up on my EP then I can see why the jib would be better for that portion.

I will be putting the LPK in both the EP and the NW just to see fitting.

Awesome, let us know how it goes with the LPK installation! I may get one as a curiosity piece, of course.

I assume the fire control pocket is a different material than the rest of the lower? Perhaps a material that is more easily milled?

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    A Beastie Boys fan milled one out with a dremel in under an hour (doubt it was his first time, though). He fires the completed rifle at the end, looks and functions great!

ibanez320dx

New guy.
    Jun 2, 2013
    Rosedale
    I purchased a blem before Oct 1st and had issues with the safety selector. I was all happy putting it together until I tried to put the selector in and it was a no go. The little nub that sticks up on the right side was lower than the left side. I didnt realize this until after drilling. I was bummed out. So I in theory have a working lower just without the safety. It now resides in a droor...
    P.S. This is the same company as EP Lowers. They changed their name a couple of weeks ago. They had both domain names selling the same product for a while apparently.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I purchased a blem before Oct 1st and had issues with the safety selector. I was all happy putting it together until I tried to put the selector in and it was a no go. The little nub that sticks up on the right side was lower than the left side. I didnt realize this until after drilling. I was bummed out. So I in theory have a working lower just without the safety. It now resides in a droor...
    P.S. This is the same company as EP Lowers. They changed their name a couple of weeks ago. They had both domain names selling the same product for a while apparently.

Did it result in the lever not catching? Why not sand down the other side? Or was it an issue of "not high enough"?

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I too bought a bunch of the $10 blems and finished them before October 1. I have only put one together so far. I am having a issue with the FCG, which I think is possibly because the trigger and hammer pins are ever so slightly out of alignment. This seems to be a common complaint wit the EP lowers. They bill themselves as a jig less lower, and they have small raised dimples to align the holes. I think using a jig would probably be a better option. The jig that comes with the Polymer 80 looks like it is what is causing better reviews.

I'm looking forward to either an EP lower Or Polymer 80 AR 10 lower. The polymer material makes finishing it with simple tools very easy. There is even talk by both of these companies to make a polymer 1911 lower.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I want to see an 80% poly Suomi receiver, for curio purposes, of course. That would be a cool one and parts kits are cheap for those people still living in America and not Marylandistan.

ibanez320dx

New guy.
    Jun 2, 2013
    Rosedale
    Did it result in the lever not catching? Why not sand down the other side? Or was it an issue of "not high enough"?

It is too far off to get the selector in. I would have to make the hole on the right side more oval to make it work. Or try to plug the hole and re-drill it. A coworker was doing one at the same time and his was the same. He used a deburring tool to make it fit. It works but looks like crap. We both bought blems so I cant really blame the company. Just a lesson learned I guess. But I've seen many others have 0 issues with them.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    It is too far off to get the selector in. I would have to make the hole on the right side more oval to make it work. Or try to plug the hole and re-drill it. A coworker was doing one at the same time and his was the same. He used a deburring tool to make it fit. It works but looks like crap. We both bought blems so I cant really blame the company. Just a lesson learned I guess. But I've seen many others have 0 issues with them.

I hear you can use jb weld and then redrill it.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    If it is truly Kevlar reinforced, but at 80%, carving out the fire control group well would be a PITA. Kevlar is VERY hard to cut.
    I believe the actual lower material (what's left behind after milling) is reinforced. The part that gets milled out would not need to be reinforced--since it it a different color (so you know when to stop milling), it can be a different material.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Ok installed the LPK today. Here is the video, sorry for the bad quality. I do have a question that needs answering. If I dont get any responses here Ill post under the rifle section

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    I had selector position issues too. Also my take down pin holes had to be made oval to fit the upper. Yes, it works, but it's not great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom