• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I got thinking about something as I perused the boards here and over lunch today this thread started to take shape in my brain. I have a question for our assembled masses, what are you doing to further gun rights here in Maryland? Not what are we as mdshooters, or we as the NRA or the GOA or even we as Maryland Shall Issue (MSI), but you as in the person reading this thread, what are you doing?

You see, I read a lot of threads and posts here about our rights, localy and nationaly. I see a lot of people that get all worked up about the selections Barack Obama has made for his cabinet and his anti-gun background. Even worse, I see a lot of people getting spun up about the activities of the police or the military or some blue helmeted storm troopers in black helicoptors coming to take away our rights! I've got a thought for you folks, there is indeed a threat and it is very real.

You see, here in Maryland, we as gun owners are second class citizens thanks largly to the work of the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Commitee, Sen Brian Frosh. Sen Frosh thinks that we're nuts. Those are his exact words. Problem is, bills that favor our cause such as a clear Castle Doctrine statute or a CCW bill, have to pass through his committee and he doesn't like them, so they die, in his committee without a vote.

We talk about Obama and his gun grabbing ways, but here's the truth. Presidents don't write legislation, Congress does. Furthermore, Obama isn't even in office yet, he hasn't done anything yet. Do I trust him, hell no, but he's not the current problem. The current problem is about to begin it's legislative session in Annapolis and we need to be active. Do you think your delegates and senators know how you feel about MD's gun laws? Have you taken the time to tell them? Have you ever sent them a letter, or called the office or even stopped in to chat with the staff? Do you know how to set up a meeting to speak with the staff? Can you afford to send $5.00 to your local pro-gun delegate and tell them that's so they can keep fighting for us? Can you spare 5 minutes, 5 minutes, you'll spend more reading this, can you spend 5 minutes to send a polite e-mail to the local anti-gun pol and explain why you won't donate to them? Can you take a few minutes to even figure out whether your locals support your rights or not?

We all have lives outside of here and the Christmas season is busy for all of us, myself included. All I'm asking for is a little focus. We can all see the challenges ahead, but let's not get caught up in the distractions and noise. We have a real problem right here in Maryland and the best thing about it is that we can do something positive about it. We can effect change here in Maryland and it starts now. Donate money while you still can and a little time when you can. Are your rights worth a few bucks and 5 minutes here and there? Can you spare an hour or two to make it to an MSI meeting? Nothing like networking face to face. Last meeting, member Mr. Phil drove up from Ocean City, about a 250 mile round trip. Need a ride down from Central MD, let me know. One of our members who's a card carrying proud Democrat showed up, why, because this isn't a Republicans vs. Democrats issue. This is us as Marylanders fighting for our Constitutional rights. We made some plans and laid some groundwork, but there's a lot to be done. Don't like meetings? Don't want to join MSI, that's cool. Can you send off some e-mails from home for the cause? You like talk radio? Think maybe you can contact one of the local guys and see if they'll give us a segment dedicated to the fight? I bet we can help you find people that could go on-air and make a good case for us. Think maybe we can apply some pressure to Sen Frosh from outside his district through the editorial pages? I think we can.

So, tell us here, in this thread, what are you doing to help the cause?

Yes, Got it loud and clear. :thumbsup:
    I've been very active this session in Maryland helping get the word out
    for MSI and sending/ calling all senators and delegates in Maryland. I also called my Frederick congressman and both Md senators( Mikulski and Cardin are worthless, but is still called alot)
    I'm on a PAC for Jim Rutledge for US Senator to replace Mikulski.
    http://www.rutledgeforussenate.com/about.html

I'll be at the TEA Party today at Barley and Hops in Frederick....

Oliveralan

Nov 18, 2009
    McLean, Virginia
    Great post!

I go to school in Washington DC, to a private school and a lot of kids think I'm evil because I hunt and shoot. Well I take my friends hunting and shooting whenever they want and have converted at least 15 people from anti gun or on the fence to totaly pro-2A. Also for English we where supposed to do a persuasive essay, I did mine on the ethics of hunting and why i think it is ethical. Presented this to 50 people and by the end most of my grade agreed with me. I included pictures of car wrecks caused by animals, starved fawns, and diasesed fawns. So, that's what I've been up to. Not as much as i would want to, but did what I could.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Post positive pro-gun (2A), MSI comments to forums, blogs, articles and the like.

This is the easiest and most significant thing each of us can do.

I have data to prove it, we are starting to tip the tide, every voice counts, please contribute.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have data to prove it, we are starting to tip the tide, every voice counts, please contribute.

I agree. I feel like we're finally making some head way. It's going to be a long road yet, but I'm more optimistic than I was.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Whenever I run into non gun owners especially those with children(I have 3 myself and it's a good way to broach the subject) if they would like to come over to my house for a safety/shooting session. Once people get past their "fear" they realize that with safe storage and a little safety training for everyone in the house that an evil gun will not kill their family in their sleep and the confidence that comes with the knowlege that you can protect your family in most circumstances really changes peoples mindsets about armed self defense. It's a good feeling to turn a sheep into a german shepard.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Yes, and thanks for the sentiment. At Towson Festival several folks made comments to me (manning the MSI booth), that it was a lost cause, and said stuff like 'the peoples republic of Maryland', etc. I think I got through to some of them, that it isn't a done-deal, we are holding ground, and in some cases, its looking like we will win some back.

If only a small percentage of the good people on this forum alone would dedicate just a few minutes to post positive, calm/respectful, factual messages about the benefits of firearms ownership and the right to self protection, it will make a difference, we will influence citizens and the legislature and ultimately make Maryland a safer and better place to live.

Here are some folks, well meaning, but disorganized and flaming. I think a different approach is necessary: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=43579&forum_id=28&jump_to=758738

eric_2902

Retired Army
    Jan 13, 2010
    Conowingo
    Good thread.

I use the following two links and have sent a handful of emails on some gun related issues.

http://capwiz.com/moaa/dbq/officials/

and

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/dbq/officials/

I talk to folks who seem to have a bad impression on hunting and shooting. I made an offer to a couple of folks who have never fired before to come out to the house and I would give them some basic firearm safety and PMI then go to the range. Not a life member ($1000 is pretty steep so waiting for the $300 deal again) but stay current in my yearly membership with the NRA.

JRoCc

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2010
    Earth
    Superb thread joppaj....

The first thing I did was well....I applied to purchase a handgun. I figured the more responsible owners we have the better the stats look in our favor.

I'll definitely be joining MSI as well as NRA. Letters and emails are my choice of medium to communicate with these politicians.

Wynter

Jul 27, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I just received this reply from Mooney:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Senator Mooney asked me to contact you on his behalf. I have attached a letter from this past legislative session that I believe answers all your questions.

Senator has always and will always continue to fight for your second amendment rights.

Stephanie Cooper
    Administrative Assistant
    301-620-0200
    (see below)

Thank you for contacting me this past legislative session to voice your opposition to further encroachments on our Second Amendment rights in Maryland.

I, too, am a strong supporter of our right to bear arms. Instead of punishing law-abiding citizens with new legislation further restricting their right to own guns, we should enforce our current laws and punish criminals who illegally buy guns and use them to commit crimes.

I do have good news to report back to you. Senate Bill 411, commonly known as the “Castle Doctrine” and of which I am a co-sponsor, was passed by a vote of 45-2 in the Senate and by a unanimous 130-0 vote in the House of Delegates. The Bill is now on track to be signed by the Governor into law.

The Castle Doctrine gives the person the legal right to use force to defend his or her home from illegal trespassers and protects them from civil charges as a result.

I support even stronger legal protections for individuals who use firearms for personal protection such as legal protection from criminal charges. Nonetheless, this bill is a step in the right direction for gun rights in Maryland.

It is equally important to defeat anti-gun legislation in Maryland.

Senate Bill 645 / House Bill 820 the “Firearm Safety Act of 2010” sought to establish new regulations on the sale of firearms among other restrictions. These new regulations amounted to nothing more than bureaucratic paperwork to get in the way of lawful citizens obtaining guns.

Thankfully, this bad legislation was defeated in my committee, Judicial Proceedings, and in the House Judiciary Committee.

Senate Bill 516, the “Maryland Assault Weapons Ban of 2010,” has a self-explanatory title and was defeated in my committee as well.

Senate bill 191, the “Weapon-Free Higher Education Zones” would have prohibited the possession of weapons in all public colleges and universities. We also defeated this bill in my committee on an 8-3 vote (enclosed).

Many other bills were proposed dealing with gun rights this session; however, none of them passed both legislative chambers and therefore failed for the year.

Thank you again for voicing your support for our Second Amendment rights in Maryland. I continue to be a staunch supporter of gun rights. Please feel free to contact me in the future regarding matters of importance to you

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    Hmmm, let's see...

Yesterday, I went to ENSF, sporting my newly minted "MSI" T-shirt. While there, I taught a young lady how to shoot. Her male friend seemed to be struggling a bit, so I thought I would lend him some assistance, for which, he thanked me for later. Within a few minutes, she was finally hitting the target, after she finally grasped the concept of "proper sight picture".

Soon after, I struck up a conversation with a couple of retired autoworkers who knew my Mother when she used to work at the plant. I began schooling them on 2A issues, for which they had no idea. They showed great interest, and wanted to get involved. I suggested MSI, SAF, and of course, this site to them.

On my way home, I stopped at Wally World to replenish my ammo supply. On the way out the door, the Greeter asked me what "MSI" stood for. As I began to explain, a couple of gray hairs began to gather and listen in earnest, so I turned them on too.

Last week I fired off a letter to the editor of the local newspaper, asking lawmakers to not waste our tax dollars fighting the Woollard case, and to support "Shall Issue" gun laws.

In the past, I attended the Maryland House Judiciary Committee session in support of gun laws, and wrote to EVERY anti-gun legislator.

Recently, I re-upped to the NRA, and MSI, and joined the SAF.

In three weeks, I have to go "stand before the man" as to why I want a CCW permit, even though the MSP has said I don't need one.

Today, I am forwarding my previous letter to the editor to the Baltimore Sun, to see if they will pick it up and publish it.

Doing what I can.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

Hmmm, let's see...

Yesterday, I went to ENSF, sporting my newly minted "MSI" T-shirt. While there, I taught a young lady how to shoot. Her male friend seemed to be struggling a bit, so I thought I would lend him some assistance, for which, he thanked me for later. Within a few minutes, she was finally hitting the target, after she finally grasped the concept of "proper sight picture".

Soon after, I struck up a conversation with a couple of retired autoworkers who knew my Mother when she used to work at the plant. I began schooling them on 2A issues, for which they had no idea. They showed great interest, and wanted to get involved. I suggested MSI, SAF, and of course, this site to them.

On my way home, I stopped at Wally World to replenish my ammo supply. On the way out the door, the Greeter asked me what "MSI" stood for. As I began to explain, a couple of gray hairs began to gather and listen in earnest, so I turned them on too.

Last week I fired off a letter to the editor of the local newspaper, asking lawmakers to not waste our tax dollars fighting the Woollard case, and to support "Shall Issue" gun laws.

In the past, I attended the Maryland House Judiciary Committee session in support of gun laws, and wrote to EVERY anti-gun legislator.

Recently, I re-upped to the NRA, and MSI, and joined the SAF.

In three weeks, I have to go "stand before the man" as to why I want a CCW permit, even though the MSP has said I don't need one.

Today, I am forwarding my previous letter to the editor to the Baltimore Sun, to see if they will pick it up and publish it.

Doing what I can.

Attachments

• imgres.gif
      imgres.gif
      178.8 KB · Views: 205

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    Please feel free to: steal shamelessly, plagerize, alter, fold, spindle or mutilate, just SEND IT!

joseph.vallario@house.state.md.us; daniel.riley@house.state.md.us; susan.aumann@house.state.md.us; joseph.bartlett@house.state.md.us; gail.bates@house.state.md.us; wendell.beitzel@house.state.md.us; joseph.boteler@house.state.md.us; eric.bromwell@house.state.md.us; bob.costa@house.state.md.us; steven.deboy@house.state.md.us; john.donoghue@house.state.md.us; donald.elliott@house.state.md.us; page.elmore@house.state.md.us; ron.george@house.state.md.us; rick.impallaria@house.state.md.us; mary.dulany.james@house.state.md.us nicholaus.kipke@house.state.md.us; susan.krebs@house.state.md.us; pat.mcdonough@house.state.md.us; warren.miller@house.state.md.us; joseph.minnick@house.state.md.us; leroy.myers@house.state.md.us; wayne.norman@house.state.md.us; anthony.odonnell@house.state.md.us; steve.schuh@house.state.md.us; andrew.serafini@house.state.md.us; tanya.shewell@house.state.md.us; richard.sossi@house.state.md.us; donna.stifler@house.state.md.us; nancy.stocksdale@house.state.md.us; mary.roe.walkup@house.state.md.us; michael.weir@house.state.md.us; richard.weldon@house.state.md.us; john.wood@house.state.md.us; david.rudolph@house.state.md.us; samuel.rosenberg@house.state.md.us; curt.anderson@house.state.md.us; ben.barnes@house.state.md.us; jill.carter@house.state.md.us; frank.conaway@house.state.md.us; kathleen.dumais@house.state.md.us; don.dwyer@house.state.md.us; william.frank@house.state.md.us; jb.jennings@house.state.md.us; benjamin.kramer@house.state.md.us; susan.lee@house.state.md.us; gerron.levi@house.state.md.us; susan.mccomas@house.state.md.us; tony.mcconkey@house.state.md.us; victor.ramirez@house.state.md.us; todd.schuler@house.state.md.us; luiz.simmons@house.state.md.us; michael.smigiel@house.state.md.us; kris.valderrama@house.state.md.us; jeff.waldstreicher@house.state.md.us

Dear MD Legislator:

Recently, a court case, Woollard vs. Sheridan, et al, was filed in Maryland District Court challenging the “good and substantial” clause of the Maryland Concealed Carry Permit application requirement. This requirement directly conflicts with the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution, in that it greatly prohibits an individual their God given and inalienable “right to bear arms”.

This clause is predicated on the State of Maryland’s interpretation of the U.S. Constitution, particularly the Bill of Rights, and whether or not those rights transfer from the federal to state governments under the Fourteenth Amendment. As part of his certiorari opinion, of the landmark case “McDonald vs. Chicago”, Supreme Court Justice, Samuel Alito, clearly stated that the Second Amendment does transfer to the states.

As I am sure that you aware, that of these fifty (50) United States, the State of Maryland is still only one (1) of ten (10) remaining “hold-out” states that chooses to infringe upon our constitutional rights to defend ourselves, and our families, by not supporting “Shall Issue” gun legislation. Statistics have proven that of those states that adopt “Shall Issue” carry permit laws they immediately see an average 7% reduction in all major crimes.

As a Maryland Legislator, I respectfully request of you that our tax dollars not be wasted to continue to litigate this issue, but rather adopt “Shall Issue” permitting laws. Together we can help make the State of Maryland a safer place.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Someone said to me long ago, that if just 10% of the folks on mdshooters.com were actively 'contributing' (helping out however they can), we would have our rights restored already.

I'm replying to articles like this AMAZINGLY positive piece from the Balt Sun:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/op...ond-amendment-letter-20100818,0,2378691.story

Also I've attended rally's, booths, meetings, gone to the Statehouse hearings, talked with attorneys about how we can help/do better, talked to dozens of folks about our cause, given out MSI t-shirts, flyers, business cards, bought MDShooters and MSI merchandise, and done just about anything I could to help this cause. Glad to be with the many of you that are doing just as much or more.

But I sincerely feel the easiest, least expensive and MOST significant thing the average pro-gun person can do is simply post positive comments to blogs, forums, YouTube videos, replies to articles (such as the one I posted above). These messages are HIGHLY influencing the vast majority of folks that are undecided, know little about guns and believe the garbage the anti-gun people are saying them. When 10 of us send positive messages to every 1 of their half baked 'guns kill' remarks, it goes a long way to help them make the right decision and side with us.

Self-defense is a fundamental human right.

In every state that passed 'shall issue' laws, the crime rate went down, an average of 7%.

Good, hardworking, average citizens are not applying or being denied everyday for a concealed handgun permit, because they know the MDSP are extremely likely to deny their permit, on arbitrary grounds that they don't have a 'good and substantial reason'. To me this seems criminal to deny a law-abiding citizen this fundamental right that is in the Constitution, the supreme law of the land.

Please do what you can, to spread the word, together we can do this.

Change is not a strategy, Hope is not a plan. What you DO is what matters.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Here's an excerpt of that Balt Sun Article posted today by Jerry Roope called Time for Maryland to Back Gun Rights:

"So, what does all of this mean? Basically, that of these fifty United States, the State of Maryland is still only one of ten remaining "hold-out" states that choose to infringe upon your constitutional rights to defend yourself and your family. So stalwart are they in their position, they are willing to waste your tax dollars to continue to litigate this issue, rather than adopt "Shall Issue" permitting laws.

Statistics have proven that those states that adopt "Shall Issue" carry permit laws immediately see an average 7 per cent reduction in all major crimes. Therefore, please contact your elected officials and urge that they support "Shall Issue" laws in the State of Maryland, and help to make it a safer place."

(support this article, post something friendly and supportive (does require registration, but it's easy))

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom