• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Here's a few of my favorite Maryland arrowheads plus some broken pieces of pottery and a gunflint. All of these were legally found on the surface in plowed fields mainly in Charles and PG counties. Seems like most arrowheads in southern Maryland are made of quartz and quartzite but sometimes you can find ones made of slate, rough chert, and rhyolite and jasper which were brought in from PA. All the ones to the right of the pen were found in the same field in PG County within 100yds of each other. These can be anywhere from 500 to 8,000 years old and the gunflint I have no idea(maybe it's French?).
    If you have any ancient artifacts from Maryland, please post pictures!
    Enjoy!

Attachments

• mdarrowheads.jpg
      mdarrowheads.jpg
      99.8 KB · Views: 5,557

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Cool collection. Im a professional archaeologist and have done a bit of work in PG county.
    The gunflint is probably french, which are almost always a honey/ tawny color. English gunflints are usually grey/ dark grey.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I collected, hunted, and made stone artifacts for about 10 years before I got into guns and more modern weapons.
    Believe it or not you can find all kinds of artifacts in the ground almost everywhere, but especially near natural sources of water(which would have been good hunting and/or camping ground). The hard part is finding a plowed field in the right area, then finding the owner of the land to ask for permission to look. If you get the OK it's best to go after a very heavy rainfall. That's when the artifacts get washed out of the loose dirt. Otherwise you could search the eroded shorelines of rivers and creeks. You can always tell when you find an ancient campsite because there will be little chips of stone eroding out of the ground all over the place from chipping arrowheads and other tools. You could also dig and sift the soil at least 10 inches down which is legal on private property but is very illegal on state or federal land or if you don't have permission from the land owner. Lately more and more farmers have stopped plowing so it is getting harder and harder to find arrowheads.
    O n average I was probably able to find one or two arrowheads for every hour of looking but 80%+ of them are broken or damaged.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Nice selection....I used to find them out in the plains of Nebraska along the old wagon trails (which, in the late 50's, you could still see the wagon wheel ruts.....).

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Quick pic of our lab. The bags are filled with prehistoric ceramics.
    153.jpg

Prehistoric ceramic
    154.jpg

This is me excavating a human burial found during a construction project.
    l_8dad186e0f614c088f60d416d18e54fb.jpg

We found this piece of military gear on a recent project. Anyone know what it is?
    147.jpg

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    Here's a few from my father-in-law who lives on Lake Seneca near Dundee NY.

39d56afb.jpg

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I know nothing about them but I often see complete local sets here and there. I also know of what's called an "Indian Mound" local here and at one time they used to let people dig through it, it's the only "hill" in Wicomico above 10 feet. :D

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    These were given to me years ago by an elderly lady whose father found them on his farm in Westminster. Any thoughts / info. would be appreciated!

arrow heads.JPG

mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    Very nices pieces, my dad has a few cigar boxes full of arrow heads. He also about half a dozen bell molds. Most of the arrow heads were found on our family farm in Fair Hill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom