• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ....What is a decent barrel that I could put on my rifle? I'd be looking at something in the 20" - 22" range...
    There are many great aftermarket barrels that shoot well. In this age, it is probably more important who you get to do the work. I'd rather have a good smith install a mediocre barrel than have a good barrel installed by a mediocre smith.
    ... Would that be something I get a smith to install for me? The only thing I've every done to this rifle was install the stock, which was aluminum bedded.
    Yes, definitely a gunsmith job, because of the specialized tools and because the barrel is not whole story.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    There are many great aftermarket barrels that shoot well. In this age, it is probably more important who you get to do the work. I'd rather have a good smith install a mediocre barrel than have a good barrel installed by a mediocre smith.Yes, definitely a gunsmith job, because of the specialized tools and because the barrel is not whole story.

Thanks for the reply. I have had this rifle for a few years now but was bitten by the AR bug, so it has been safe queen mostly. I have a few more short list projects I'd like to finish and once I finish those I'd like to finish this.

Edit: Just read through your link, what a wealth of information. Thank you!!

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    E.shell is a national treasure when it comes to long range rifle shooting.

Thank You Sir for that technical write-up. I will just have to get both 20 and 30 moa bases to see if which one works best.

For subsonic 308 ammo.. Corbon makes them.. priced at about 28 bucks/ 20 rounds. Thats about 1.40/ round .. plus S/H

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The base guns

Remington 700 tactical AAC-SD 308 ( 20")
    and
    Remington 700 SPS varmint( 26")

Both in a Bell and Carlson Medalist A-5 Stock

Attachments

• 308s.jpg
      308s.jpg
      47.4 KB · Views: 253
    • threads.jpg
      threads.jpg
      50.3 KB · Views: 252

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The bottom metal is going to be replaced with these.

Henderson defense and Apex tactical detachable mag systems

Uses AICS 308 mags

Attachments

• bottommetal3_1854_general.jpg
      bottommetal3_1854_general.jpg
      14.9 KB · Views: 244
    • 23v6ys.jpg
      23v6ys.jpg
      34.4 KB · Views: 244

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    They look good! I really like the way that 20" looks. I have the exact set-up on the bottom, it's a sweet rifle and it's ridiculously accurate. For optics, I went with a Millett TRS, I wanted to get a SWFA but they're hard to come by.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    the TRS-1 is also on my short list.. the 26" rifle is going to be fitted with that, along with a 20 MOA base , harris bipod and a rear mono-pod.

How do you like the scope?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The stocks are awesome and they feel great. Very rigid and not as heavy as other designs.

The only issue i have with them is that both stocks came in with the recoil pads damaged. The oversized recoil pads protrude a bit and were damaged in transit. B/C customer service at this point sucks.

I have re-profiled the one on the SD rifle.. As is, the recoil pad will not sustain any sort of impact on the recoil pad without getting damaged. That is , IMHO a design flaw.

UPDATE:

Bell and Carlson responded to my E-mail and is going to be sending replacement pads for both stocks. Cant complain about that kind of support.
    :)

Attachments

• recoil pad.jpg
      recoil pad.jpg
      32.9 KB · Views: 244
    • IMG_0408.jpg
      IMG_0408.jpg
      27.6 KB · Views: 244

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    the TRS-1 is also on my short list.. the 26" rifle is going to be fitted with that, along with a 20 MOA base , harris bipod and a rear mono-pod.

How do you like the scope?

It's great so far. I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for a decent optic on a budget. It's clear and it holds zero so I really couldn't ask for much more. The turret knobs feel solid, there is no play. The power adjustment also feels good and it makes a soft click noise when you get to the 10x setting. I haven't had a chance to shoot over a 100yds with it so I'm not sure how well it performs out past that.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    It's great so far. I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for a decent optic on a budget. It's clear and it holds zero so I really couldn't ask for much more. The turret knobs feel solid, there is no play. The power adjustment also feels good and it makes a soft click noise when you get to the 10x setting. I haven't had a chance to shoot over a 100yds with it so I'm not sure how well it performs out past that.

I get to shoot 1000 yards maybe twice/ year( quantico or private land).. most at 100-200 yards max.

Most of my optics with BDC and a Leatherwood ART do not get any use out of such features...Even an ACOG.

We need a 1000 yard range... I hope someone builds one closeby.. I'm sure, shooters will come and patronize the business.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Have a tactical too that trigger can be set scary light lol . I do want to restock it and swap the bottom metal for a mag . I have a Burris tactical that I had laying around on it for now . But after my son is done soaking me for xmas I want to get the Nikon Monarch X for it . I already have the EGW 20MOA base for it from Gun Connection and they said they can get me the glass when Im ready .

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Yes, it's the same gun(Savage BAS-K), silencer(SWR Omega 300), and this ammo.

Rich,

I sure hope you kept this guys number on hand.The suppressed sound of your BAS-K is hard to top. Your rig actually has inspired this whole thing. maybe I'll be able to match that in next year's silencer shoot.:)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    SCAR - You may be able to score a TRS-1 off of crazyal, after all, he has mine. It's a decent optic for the money, big and solid too... even more so with the sunshade on. I only got to take mine out to 300 max, but it was doing the job just fine.

Lennyo3034

Feb 28, 2011
    Just my recommendation, but if you're going to put that much effort on the rifle, don't skimp on the scope. I've had several SWFA super sniper scopes and think they are all quite good. I have their 5-20X50mm model which is excellent. They will hold their own against the top dollar scopes and at $1500 for the illuminated and $1300 for non-illuminated, you can't get much more bang for the buck.

Here's mine mounted on a 26" barreled 700 in .308:

DSC01016.jpg

It has an HS precision stock, but I wish I had gone with the B & C. It will soon be replaced with a Manners T4a with mini-chassis.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I don't think this is too much of an effort from one of our 'resident stamp collectors'..., although that line from the 1st Batman keeps coming to mind - 'Where does he get all those wonderful toys??'

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom