• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I've known that a Japanese rifle has been a glaring hole in my collection for a while now. So, last week I decided to make a move. I won this "substitute standard" Type 99 on Gunbroker last Thursday and big brown delivered it today. It's a 25th series from Kokura. For being what it is, it's in great shape. It's all matching, the bore is nice and bright, and the stock hasn't been sanded or refinished. The sling is I don't know what. I've been told it's a USGI belt modified into a sling so that's what I'm going with, but it could be a piece of some other web gear. It doesn't look like any Japanese slings that I've looked up. This one might have actually been used. There's wear on the barrel where a bayonet was attached and there is wear on the follower. The mum is ground but that doesn't bother me. Now I need ammo and a bayonet.
    ysrBaRx.jpg

oqkdr3S.jpg

o0bW986.jpg

Q21MLu3.jpg

qj1vtJR.jpg

PbcNF39.jpg

Jibriel

Nov 7, 2012
    Howard County
    Nice find! I'm jealous. Do you get a lot of C&R stuff on Gunbroker? Are people who list C&R generally friendly about accepting an 03 FFL?

I've been wanting to send in for a C&R license for a while but I fear what will happen to my bank account.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Nice find! I'm jealous. Do you get a lot of C&R stuff on Gunbroker? Are people who list C&R generally friendly about accepting an 03 FFL?

I've been wanting to send in for a C&R license for a while but I fear what will happen to my bank account.

This was my first gunbroker purchase but yeah, every listing I've seen states whether or not they accept C&R, but I'm starting to see some people flat out refusing to ship to MD. Other than those few people who are ignorant of the laws, it's definitely worth getting the license.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Cool! I love Japanese rifles. I'm picking up my first one (also a Type 99) from a member on Sunday.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Very nice find! I still think late production rifles can be a perfect entry into Japanese small arms. Many times they were unissued, pulled by a GI directly from a storage facility. And contrary to belief, most of these rifles are still safe to shoot. It's only the examples built in the final months that should be kept in the safe (the same can be said of "last ditch" German small arms). Many times these substitute rifles are rare and can fetch well over $1k in today's market.
    Newbie collectors, know that advanced Japanese collectors will always chose a matching example w. scrubbed mum over a non matching one w. intact mum. I only have about a half dozen intact mum examples in my pile of about 20 Japanese rifles and I'm picky about what I collect. All too often there's a bidding war over intact mums and as a result nice examples, like the one Dave91 has posted, go unnoticed. Works for me! I've snagged some very nice pieces this way.
    Prices for early T99s that are all matching with intact mum and have the dust cover, 'pod and AA wings have sky rocketed. Expect to pay around $700 for what would have cost you $300 just 10 yrs ago. Accessories like muzzle covers and slings can significantly add to the value. Believe the last T44 muzzle cover I saw sold went for around $400. Hell, even original cleaning rods fetch $75-100. I have a rare, matching concentric circle T99 with original 'pod, AA sights, cleaning rod and I wouldn't let it go for less than $1k.

herkybird72

2A Defender
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2011
    Freedomland,NC
    I Have a Type 99 with AA sights in my collection and love it as to Ammo, it can be a pain to find and not cheap so I would suggest re loading if that is an option for you

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom