• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • derrickonline

Sep 22, 2008
    Since it seems the gun laws in VA are much better than MD. I had a few questions.

1. Can an MD resident purchase guns in VA?
    2. Is there a waiting period/background check?
    3. Is there a limit on number of guns?

Keep in mind the purchase would be made by an MD resident.

Yoboney

Sep 2, 2008
    Since it seems the gun laws in VA are much better than MD. I had a few questions.

1. Can an MD resident purchase guns in VA?
    2. Is there a waiting period/background check?
    3. Is there a limit on number of guns?

Keep in mind the purchase would be made by an MD resident.

You can buy long guns in Virginia. You are not allowed by Federal Law to purchase guns in Virginia unless you are carrying a Virginia driver's license. Then you could buy handguns there. No waiting period in Virginia and they do instant check. You are allowed one handgun purchase per month unless youhave a CHP and then you can get as many as you like. Virginia is much better than Maryland as Maryland is a Communist Country. :lol2:

Waterdoor

Proud Infidel Team U.S.A.
    Dec 13, 2008
    KY.
    You can buy long guns in Virginia. You are not allowed by Federal Law to purchase guns in Virginia unless you are carrying a Virginia driver's license. Then you could buy handguns there. No waiting period in Virginia and they do instant check. You are allowed one handgun purchase per month unless youhave a CHP and then you can get as many as you like. Virginia is much better than Maryland as Maryland is a Communist Country. :lol2:

Virginia is much better than Maryland as Maryland is a Communist Country. Except for driving laws, you are correct!

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Regulated firearms = No
    Non-regulated firearms = Yes

If there is a regulated firearm that you want to buy from a VA dealer, it must be shipped to a MD FFL.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Regulated firearms = No
    Non-regulated firearms = Yes

If there is a regulated firearm that you want to buy from a VA dealer, it must be shipped to a MD FFL.

Just to add, you can ONLY buy an unregulated long gun from a VA FFL. You cannot buy any firearm that is not an antique from a VA resident without an FFL getting involved.

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Virginia is much better than Maryland as Maryland is a Communist Country. Except for driving laws, you are correct!

I'm not arguing that VA oesn't have some pretty messed up traffic laws, but Maryland is FAR from perfect in that category. I am a native Marylander. i never realized how bad it is here until I moved to NH for 5 years and then moved back. The very first thing to begin to grate on my nerves was the DMV... don't even get me started.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    True, I have residences in PA and MD. For tax purposes I use MD, but for drivers licenses and such, I use PA.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    YOu can have a residence in more than one state.

Please expand your thought, I have a residence in PA, and here in MD?

True, I have residences in PA and MD. For tax purposes I use MD, but for drivers licenses and such, I use PA.

This only works if you are military, otherwise the MSP will check back with you in 30 days after they pull you over for an equipment violation.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I buy all of my non-regulated firearms in Virginia. Just picked one up over this weekend.

I disagree I should buy the gun in the state where I have my driver's license. I used to live in VA and have a good relationship with my FFL there so I continue to bring them my business.

Matt

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Please expand your thought, I have a residence in PA, and here in MD?

State of residence. The State in which
    an individual resides. An individual resides
    in a State if he or she is present in a State
    with the intention of making a home in that
    State. If an individual is on active duty as a
    member of the Armed Forces, the individual's
    State of residence is the State in
    which his or her permanent duty station is
    located. An alien who is legally in the
    United States shall be considered to be a
    resident of a State only if the alien is residing
    in the State and has resided in the
    State for a period of at least 90 days prior
    to the date of sale or delivery of a firearm.
    The following are examples that illustrate
    this definition:

Example 1. A maintains a home in
    State X. A travels to State Y on a hunting,
    fishing, business, or other type of trip. A
    does not become a resident of State Y by
    reason of such trip.

Example 2. A is a U.S. citizen and
    maintains a home in State X and a home
    in State Y. A resides in State X except for
    weekends or the summer months of the
    year and in State Y for the weekends or
    the summer months of the year. During
    the time that A actually resides in State X,
    A is a resident of State X, and during the
    time that A actually resides in State Y, A is
    a resident of State Y.
    http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/2005/p53004/27cfr_part478.pdf

When you are residing at your PA residence, you are a PA resident for firearm purchases as far as the ATF is concerned. PA's interpretation may differ, but if you can prove you are a PA resident and you are residing in PA at the time of purchase, then the ATF are not the ones that would care if anyone would as I see it.

If you go to stay at your residence in PA for a weekend, you can buy a gun as a PA resident.
    If you come back to MD to reside in your MD residence the following Monday, you can bring the firearm with you that you bought as a PA resident even though you are now a MD resident.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    You have to have two forms of id from the state of residence. This is normally a driver's license and a second id.
    You just need one picture ID and proof of residency (I forget how the Amish buy guns).

In some states you can get a state ID without getting the license. It is possible to have more than one state ID.
    Also, your passport does not have an address. If you can show residency with the passport to show who you are like a lease agreement or utility bills, then you should be good to go.
    Since the ATF says you are a resident of the state you plan on maintaining a residence in and while you are residing there, you would not be lying on the 4473 even though you had another state's ID.

derrickonline

Sep 22, 2008
    novus....that's the answer I was looking for. I have family in Virginia...so hey...maybe I'll be "residing with them" for a while. :)

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    novus....that's the answer I was looking for. I have family in Virginia...so hey...maybe I'll be "residing with them" for a while. :)
    You need to be maintaining a residence there, so a lease agreement for a room at their place, or some kind of other proof you maintain a residence there may be a good idea. Maybe a cable TV or phone bill in your name?

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I'd like to hear from people that are part-time residents - ones owning a house and property in the state- and what there experiences are regarding gun sales/shows.

Micktaco

May 2, 2009
    Walkersville
    What if I have a Florida driver's license, am registered to vote in FL and use that state as my legal residence, but i live in MD because I am military and that is where I am stationed, can I buy an AR15 lower receiver in VA? I don't want to beat around the bush or start a new thread so I figured I would just come out and ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom