Dry firing a .22 semi auto pistols with snap caps?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTHall720

Jan 15, 2012
    My local dealer said this would be ok for the gun. Sounds ok but wanted to see others opinions.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    What kind/model of auto pistol? I'd think with snap caps it would be ok for sure, some are safe to fire without according to the mfgs (but snapcaps are never a bad idea)

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    If you plan to dry-fire with snap caps, buy a bunch of them. I haven't found any that don't get chewed up by the firing pin in short order. Aluminum and plastic.

Dec 6, 2011
    It depends on the firearm. Some of the newer production 22s won't allow the firing pin to travel forward of the bolt face. Dry firing those presents no real problem. Disassemble the piece and push the firing pin to it's most forward position. If it can't extend beyond the bolt face, you're okay. I've shortened pins on a Buckmark and a 1911 conversion kit with good results. You only have to crush the rim, overtravel provides no real benefit and does harm when the trigger is tripped on an empty chamber.

Mar 19, 2011
    snap caps

What other have said is valid. Some .22 rim fires are ok to dry fire but most are not and a snap cap never hurts.

Sinjin

Jan 21, 2009
    They have snap caps for 22lr? That's news to me. The only ones I've ever seen say specifically not to use for dry firing on the package.

ETA: anyone have a link to some they use?

Rednekrebel

Apr 9, 2007
    Edgemere
    When I bought my gsg 1911 from GC they advised me never to dry fire it. Could break the firing pin. Maybe it's only that gun but ill trust my dealer.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Make sure they're snap caps and not "action proving dummies"; the aluminum action dummies are NOT meant to be used as snap caps. If you don't have any snap caps, a dry wall screw anchor works really well, too (I've also done this with my 17HMR.)

Snap Cap =
    image.php

Action Proving Dummy =
    140-250x250.jpg

Dry wall anchor as a snap cap =
    springstuff9-Version2.jpg

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    They have snap caps for 22lr? That's news to me. The only ones I've ever seen say specifically not to use for dry firing on the package.

This.
    I was about to purchase some from Atlantic Guns in Rockville and John told me "Those are not snap caps...they're just plastic caps to load and unload and will crack and break if used like snap caps"

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I just use fired cases...you get a bunch of them every range trip lol

Not the same. Snap cap "primers" are spring loaded to provide some resistance to the firing pin. spent primers are already indented, providing no resistance making the firing pin extend to max "reach" each time.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Why wouldn't they? The pin is hitting exactly what it was designed to hit.

No it isn't. You think it strikes perfectly each and every time with no deviation? The firing pin hits primer brass perfectly each and every time? The primer would have to concave the exact measurement each strike. It doesn't.
    Does anyone really know why snap caps work?? Wow

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

expat

Aug 29, 2012

Curious -- what's the point of snap caps if you can't dry-fire them?
    Tipton snap caps are probably the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom