• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwnthehatch

10-32
    Nov 6, 2007
    Kent Island
    I saw this on the Saiga-12 forum. Looks like my next purchase.

Bill Akins said:
    The Ruger 10/22 Akins Accelerator bump fire stock (albeit springless version 2) is very soon going to be available again.

Very soon Fostech Outdoors will also be marketing the Springless AA2 (Akins Accelerator 2) stock which is a springless, isometric, redesign/retrofit of my old Akins Accelerator stocks for the .22 long rifle cartridge Ruger 10/22 rifle. Fostech will also be offering my perforated barrel shroud design as an accessory for the AA2. Look for that in the near future. I have been in discussions with Fostech trying to work out the possibility that former Akins Accelerator stock owners could send in their stocks to have them retrofitted to work isometrically for a small fee. Look for a limited amount of these version 2 AA's to be available in several weeks. More will be available in the future as they get retrofitted.

dwnthehatch

10-32
    Nov 6, 2007
    Kent Island
    I just got pricing. Maybe I'm not getting one.

The price for the everything needed is $629.00. That includes the $289.00 trigger from KIDD Triggers. There are 20 available.

Bill Akins

Mar 24, 2008
    Is it like a slidefire for a 10/22? If so that sounds sweet.

Actually the Akins Accelerator bump fire stock for the Ruger 10/22 was marketed in the last of 2005 and in 2006, many years before the Slide Fire. I know because I invented it in 1996, received my U.S. patent for it in 2000, and marketed it. So to be correct it is the Slide Fire stock that is like an Akins Accelerator. Not the other way around. :)

These new AA2's (Akins Accelerator version 2) stocks are retro-fits of my former Akins Accelerator stocks that have been made to operate isometrically without using any springs. They work great. There is a limited amount of them available right now (less than 20). But Fostech Outdoors bought my existing inventory of about 600 and I am sending them to them and they will be retro-fitted very quickly. So very soon there will be plenty of them. Plus I am lending Fostech Outdoors my old molds so more can be made in the future.

The Fostech Outdoors bumpfire stocks are the only patented bumpfire stocks on the market (since I sold my patent to Fostech Outdoors). Some other manufacturers who don't even have a patent have been producing their bumpfire stocks for about a year without my permission and without doing a patent license agreement with me.

To ensure consistent operation, Fostech is installing a Kidd's trigger in them that has a very light trigger pull to ensure consistent operation. That is why they cost an additional $289.00 which is the cost of the Kidd's trigger to Fostech.
    But you will make up that amount very quickly in shooting low cost .22 LR ammo.

Later on, Fostech Outdoors will be marketing as an accessory, my design for a perforated full length barrel shroud for the 10/22 AA2. This will make it look like a bit like a Russian PPSH or more correctly a Italian Beretta sub gun from WW2. That will enable the sights to not move with the barrel since the barrel will reciprocate within the stationary barrel shroud and the sights will be attached to the stationary shroud. Plus it will enable other types of sights to be used without any weight on the barrel and without impeding the reciprocation of the barrel. Good things coming out :)

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Actually the Akins Accelerator bump fire stock for the Ruger 10/22 was marketed in the last of 2005 and in 2006, many years before the Slide Fire. I know because I invented it in 1996, received my U.S. patent for it in 2000, and marketed it. So to be correct it is the Slide Fire stock that is like an Akins Accelerator. Not the other way around. :)

These new AA2's (Akins Accelerator version 2) stocks are retro-fits of my former Akins Accelerator stocks that have been made to operate isometrically without using any springs. They work great. There is a limited amount of them available right now (less than 20). But Fostech Outdoors bought my existing inventory of about 600 and I am sending them to them and they will be retro-fitted very quickly. So very soon there will be plenty of them. Plus I am lending Fostech Outdoors my old molds so more can be made in the future.

The Fostech Outdoors bumpfire stocks are the only patented bumpfire stocks on the market (since I sold my patent to Fostech Outdoors). Some other manufacturers who don't even have a patent have been producing their bumpfire stocks for about a year without my permission and without doing a patent license agreement with me.

To ensure consistent operation, Fostech is installing a Kidd's trigger in them that has a very light trigger pull to ensure consistent operation. That is why they cost an additional $289.00 which is the cost of the Kidd's trigger to Fostech.

Later on, Fostech Outdoors will be marketing as an accessory, my design for a perforated full length barrel shroud for the 10/22 AA2. This will make it look like a bit like a Russian PPSH or more correctly a Italian Beretta sub gun from WW2. That will enable the sights to not move with the barrel since the barrel will reciprocate within the stationary barrel shroud and the sights will be attached to the stationary shroud. Plus it will enable other types of sights to be used without any weight on the barrel and without impeding the reciprocation of the barrel. Good things coming out :)

Even at $629 it doesn't sound bad to me considering the alternative is a $7-8K (maybe more, I didn't check current pricing) or so transferrable full auto 10/22. While I never got to see one in person, the original Accelerator was quite the marvel to see in action in videos. Hopefully you'll keep inventing some more ingenuitive products for the community.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Thanks Bill, welcome to the forum, and congrats on a cool invention.

Has it been tested or will it work with any other after-market trigger setups like the Volquartsen TG2000 ?

I'm definitely interested, but having just 'upgraded' my 10/22, spending an additional $289 for a trigger group isn't in the cards.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Be careful. Atkins will sue you for patent infringement. I remember a thread somewhere else that he did not win many friends with his threatening posts.

It sounds like he was bought out after the govt destroyed another domestic entrapreneur's livlihood. Now someone else will profit from his years of work.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I get why NFA items are so pricey. This is completely unregulated and I just couldnt justify paying that much. Are they very intricate and hard to manufacture or something?

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I get why NFA items are so pricey. This is completely unregulated and I just couldnt justify paying that much. Are they very intricate and hard to manufacture or something?

What is it worth to you to shoot quasi -full auto? It sounds like a lot of the cost is the trigger.

I expect the cost for the parts of the finished stock is minimal. However the cost of engineering, tooling, patents, bringing it to market, and ATF approval for a small market item like this are astronomical.

I will probably buy one after the reviews are in. I like full auto, this is as close as I can get.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    What is it worth to you to shoot quasi -full auto? It sounds like a lot of the cost is the trigger.

I expect the cost for the parts of the finished stock is minimal. However the cost of engineering, tooling, patents, bringing it to market, and ATF approval for a small market item like this are astronomical.

I will probably buy one after the reviews are in. I like full auto, this is as close as I can get.

Unfortunately Mr Akins won't get it.

Be careful. Atkins will sue you for patent infringement. I remember a thread somewhere else that he did not win many friends with his threatening posts.

I have also read some of those threads..... If they are real and genuine posts, they are certainly unflattering.

There is a distinct difference in the intent to produce and sell a product patented by someone else with the intent of making money off it, and just building something simillar for yourself, for your own use, with no intent of selling it to anyone or making any money from it.

I have read threads on other forums where people intent on doing just that - just building something for their own use, with no intent to sell it - were threatened by the person in question with legal action, or with reporting to BATFE.

I have read the entire patent for the original device, and if you've never read it, you should - it's really amazing in the scope of what it declares as patented. It essentially claims the patent-holder invented bump-firing (since he holds/held the patent). ALL types of bump-firing - spring assisted, unassisted or even with "isometric tension" - a fancy way to describe holding a rifle in your hands and bump firing with NO assist from any device whatsoever except your own arms and hands.

Let me say that again, for emphasis - the patent holder claims to own the actions of YOUR OWN HANDS AND ARMS, and what you do with them.

Think about that one for a minute....

That's like me trying to patent "a means of personal directional locomotion utilizing the feet and legs in a repetive manner".

In other words - walking.

And since no one currently has the patent on walking, then I can claim to have invented it right now, in the year 2012. And anyone who walks without doing it under license from me is commiting patent infringment.

In part, that is essentially what the patent-holder is claiming by "isometric tension" - that ANY bump firing, even without a device other than your own body, is a violation.

It's a damn shame what happened to the former patent-holder, done specifically as an "F-U" to the man by a rogue agency that doesn't even play by it's own rules. But the patent holder threatening to go after people who build simillar devices without the springs that were the basis for the decision, or threatening people who build devices for personal use, or even people who are bump firing without a device at all, is misguided.

Last edited:

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Mud,

As far a I know, most of the threats are not much more than butthurt chest thumping. I can understand Mr. Akins dilema especially after the major a$$ raping the atf gave him. As far as I understand it, he could have sued every individual who ever made a similar product for their own personal use. And he probably would have won at least a couple hundred bucks per case since that is basically all that he would have been "damaged".

I'm sure any case against someone using only their own body parts to bumpfire would be thrown out on it's ear. As well as the possibility of his patent being at least partially dismissed.

One thing I do think we all owe a debt of gratitude to Mr. Akins for is the fact that he brought bump firing "technology" into the 21st century.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom