• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Edward78

Apr 4, 2009
    Newburg, MD SoMd
    Varget imr4198 is to slow sorry for the late reply. Has anyone come up with some new loads for any bullet. Also has anyone tried the Barnes 110 that they designed for the blackout.

Anyone have load suggestions for Varget or IMR4198? I plan to load some 150grain rounds and some 110grain rounds.

Carlfer

Apr 6, 2012
    Frederick County
    I've loaded 150gr hornady sst's with 16.5gr of lil gun. They cycled perfectly in my barrel with carbine gas system. However, 17gr of h110 with the same bullet did not cycle properly. It ejected the spent round, but the bolt didn't go back far enough to grab the next round.

BerBer5985

Apr 3, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I've heard lil gun seems to work well. I'm going to have to pick some up next time I'm at bass pro. I was thinking h110 would work, but I have a carbine length as well, so if lil gun functions properly, that might be the ticket. I was trying to nail down a plinker type recipe, and then a hunting type recipe with maybe a heavier grain bullet.

Carlfer

Apr 6, 2012
    Frederick County
    I've heard lil gun seems to work well. I'm going to have to pick some up next time I'm at bass pro. I was thinking h110 would work, but I have a carbine length as well, so if lil gun functions properly, that might be the ticket. I was trying to nail down a plinker type recipe, and then a hunting type recipe with maybe a heavier grain bullet.

I'll try the H110 again when I pickup some 110gr bullets.

Edward78

Apr 4, 2009
    Newburg, MD SoMd
    I tried Lil Gun with some 110 and they would not cycle right I had the est luck with H110 but when I went to some 150 and 165 grain bullets the Lil Gun worked fine and I got a little bit faster velocities with the Lil Gun. But I like the H110 with super sonic loads and I use A1680 for heavy Bullets and subs. Just for reference I have a 16" carbine length gas system.

Carlfer

Apr 6, 2012
    Frederick County
    I tried Lil Gun with some 110 and they would not cycle right I had the est luck with H110 but when I went to some 150 and 165 grain bullets the Lil Gun worked fine and I got a little bit faster velocities with the Lil Gun. But I like the H110 with super sonic loads and I use A1680 for heavy Bullets and subs. Just for reference I have a 16" carbine length gas system.

What load did you use for the h110 with 150gr?

Edward78

Apr 4, 2009
    Newburg, MD SoMd
    What load did you use for the h110 with 150gr?

150gr Nosler BTBT H110 16.7 2.13 OAL no pressure signs grouped OK nothing to brag about 125gr are much better in my rifle. If i could get 2000fps with the 150 and tighten the groups just a bit I think it would be a good deer round.
    SD 10.19
    ES 28.89
    AV 1945
    HI 1953
    LO 1924

I could have went up to 17 grains with no problem and got 2000fps but I did not mess with 150's to much. I do have 500 147 fmj's coming and will be working up some hot loads for it am going to try to get 2100 out of them.

Phoenixsm

Aug 29, 2010
    Load Data from Sept Issue of Guns and Ammo

Here's the load data from the latest issue of G+A. They had a short article on the 300 BO in the September issue.

Attachments

• 300 BO Load Data Sept Issue of Guns and Ammo.jpg
      300 BO Load Data Sept Issue of Guns and Ammo.jpg
      106.5 KB · Views: 2,829

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    ^^ was just going to post this. New Guns & Ammo downloaded itself to my Kindle Fire today so I had reading material and was very interested in the article.

The author likened the 300 BO to the M1 Carbine as far as usefulness.

I have a stripped lower and upper sitting in my safe....guess its time to shit or get off it and build myself one.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Didn't even know this thread was here.

I'll be working my first batch up later this week - Hornady 110gr V-max, H110, and CCI #41 primers.

I'll be running them thru a 16" Noveske (pistol-length gas system).

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Made a trip today, got some good inital results off this batch.

Hornady 110gr V-max
    H110 Powder - 19.2 grains
    CCI #41 Primers
    C.O.L. of 2.038
    Cases trimmed to 1.359.5 - very light taper-crimp.

At 105 yards, managed to get a 1.180" group off a wood block with a cheap 2x7 scope - I'd say it has potential, even if my fundamentals were a bit rusty.

View attachment 66385

Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm happy with these loads as they are, if I can really just calm down some and get my heart-rate down, I'm sure I could get better groups.

I've spent the past 2 to 2.5 months firing handguns only, so I've gotten out of practice with rifle...

Carlfer

Apr 6, 2012
    Frederick County
    I've been loading 110gr Sierra hp's on top of 18.5 gr of lil gun. Cycles perfect with my carbine length gas system. However, it doesn't always lock the bolt back after the last round. I haven't shot it at 100 yards yet, but at 50 , the holes are touching.

Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm running a 16" Noveske on a pistol-length gas system, sub-sonic and super-sonic run fine on the current buffer/buffer spring combo, but the sub's won't lock on an empty mag unless I switch to my suppressor buffer/buffer spring combo.

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    Varget imr4198 is to slow sorry for the late reply. Has anyone come up with some new loads for any bullet. Also has anyone tried the Barnes 110 that they designed for the blackout.

Actually I pulled a subsonic load from the hodgdon/imr site that uses 4198. Based on that data I worked up a 220 grain sub load. Though it doesn't appear to be a good powder for supersonic loads.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Just made up some 150's - Hornady 150gr FMJ-BT w/Cannelure, should be interesting.

I'll test these before I release any of the details.

*Bear in mind, still w/out chrony - so some details I won't have available just yet.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Attempted to try and go subsonic with 150's - just for the hell of it - didn't work. From 9.2gr down to 8.0gr on H110, still too loud, but they did cycle.

Got another batch for supersonic use, results to be posted after range test.

ARenthusiast

Mar 17, 2012
    300 blackout 147 gr hand loads 8" barrel Ballistics

300 blackout 147 gr hand loads 8" barrel Ballistics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wondering if anyone has any experience with reloading 147 grain pulls down bullets for 300 blackout. I’m pretty new to the reloading scene and am trying to get an idea of what a descent velocity would be out of an 8" Noveske barrel. So far I’ve been using 16gr-16.9gr of lil gun. Everything seems to be functioning fine within this powder range. The CCI 400 primers that I’m using tend to show some (very mild flattening) from 16.6-16.9 gr. Going to run them through a chrono as soon as it comes in the mail. I guess my question is, what numbers should I be able to attain safely?

Any help would be much Appreciated.

From what I’ve been told the CCI 400 primers are on the weaker side and show pressure signs before there is in fact true overpressure. Would I be better off using the CCI 41 primers? Or is 16.6-16.9 gr of lil gun behind a 147 grain bullet pushing it?

Based on others load data 1,800 FPS should be reachable with a 16” barrel. Im wondering what I should expect/shoot for out of an 8”

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom