• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

Dear Maryland Hunter:

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources is seeking information on the presence of feral (wild) hogs in Maryland. At present, we do not know of any established feral hog populations in our state, but it is important that we quickly find out if any populations should be discovered.

Feral hogs in the southeast United States have destroyed forest understory plants and devastated wildlife habitat. Isolated populations have been discovered in West Virginia, Virginia, and Ohio. It is critical for the protection of Maryland wildlife resources that we not allow feral hogs to become established here.

If you have seen or killed a feral hog in Maryland, please call me at the number below. If you know of someone who has seen or killed a feral hog, please urge them to contact me directly. If these destructive animals become established in our state, all of our wildlife resources will suffer - as will farmers, homeowners and Maryland's public lands. The sooner we learn or their presence, the better we will be able to deal with their removal.

Thanks, and I wish you all a safe and rewarding season afield.

Jonathan A. McKnight
    Associate Director for Habitat Conservation
    Maryland Department of Natural Resources
    Wildlife and Heritage Service
    508 Taylor Avenue
    Annapolis, MD. 21401
    410-260-8539
    jmcknight@dnr.state.md.us

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    It would be a terrible blow to the agricultutre industry of this state should they start invading MD. However they are delicious and we could hunt them all year. Kind of a toss up in my mind. But if I had to guess it won't be long before they are here becuase somebody decides to bring them in for a "game farm" (whatever the **** that is) and they get out.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    I wish they would hurry up and get here...It would save me a drive...how close are they to Northern Virginia??

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Dear DNR,

I have many wild boar recipies to go through and would love to test my ML on them. Please post the coordinates of suspected populations!

Thanks!

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Deebd by god, there's a bunch over in the 7th district. They shuck oyst'rs, pick the #1 hard crab, drive pickem up trucks, drink bud in 8oz bottles and play softball. All of them are bottle blonds and really pull a plow good. ....Dang you ment real pigs.....well I go back to the start of my response.....:lol2::sad20::D

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Deebd by god, there's a bunch over in the 7th district. They shuck oyst'rs, pick the #1 hard crab, drive pickem up trucks, drink bud in 8oz bottles and play softball. All of them are bottle blonds and really pull a plow good. ....Dang you ment real pigs.....well I go back to the start of my response.....:lol2::sad20::D

Be careful Polecat. These are REALLY dangerous!

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Yep. Maryland has no hog / pig laws on the books...
    This in itself is bad news unless they add it to the "No Closed Season" list.

The way the law reads, if there is no specific open season on a given species, it is "protected" wildlife and illegal to injure/kill/harass/capture. IOW: "closed season" by default.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Top 10 Bacon Quotes
    from Homer Simpson

1. "(Lisa) "I'm going to become a vegetarian" (Homer) "Does that mean you're not going to eat any pork?" "Yes" "Bacon?" "Yes Dad" Ham?" "Dad all those meats come from the same animal" "Right Lisa, some wonderful, magical animal!""
    2. "Porkchops and bacon, my two favorite animals."
    3. "When your in my house you shall do as I do and believe who i believe in. So Bart butter your bacon."
    4. "Is it Bacon Day?"
    5. "Mmmm. Move over, eggs. Bacon just got a new best friend - fudge."
    6. "Not again! First you took away my Philly Fudgesteak. And then my Bacon Balls. Then my Whatchamachicken. You monster!"
    7. Homer: I'll have the smiley face breakfast special. Uhh, but could you add a bacon nose? Plus bacon hair, bacon mustache, five o'clock shadow made of bacon bits and a bacon body.
    Waitress: How about I just shove a pig down your throat?
    (Homer looks excited)
    Waitress: I was kidding.
    Homer: Fine, but the bacon man lives in a bacon house!
    Waitress: No he doesn't!
    8. "[strained] You know that feeling you get when a thousand knives of fire are stabbing you in the heart? I'm having that right now...[normal] Ooh, bacon!
    9. "Mmm ... bacon"
    10. "Mmm ... unexplained bacon"

bowtiebandit

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbia
    http://www.mdinvasivesp.org/archived_invaders/archived_invaders_2009_12.html

Another article on it

The last paragraph

"Is it legal to shoot feral swine in Maryland? Yes. Because wild swine are the same species as domestic pigs, there is no biological basis for determining whether a given animal is feral. If you know or have reason to believe that a hog is a temporary runaway from your neighbor’s hog farm, you should not kill that pig. Otherwise, if you own or have permission to hunt a property or you are hunting on public lands, please take that animal and call DNR."

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    It would be a terrible blow to the agricultutre industry of this state should they start invading MD. However they are delicious and we could hunt them all year. Kind of a toss up in my mind. But if I had to guess it won't be long before they are here becuase somebody decides to bring them in for a "game farm" (whatever the **** that is) and they get out.

I'm sorry, where is this ? All the farms down here have been turned into walmarts and parking lots from Indian Head to Lexington Park. Anybody who owns land now can't afford to farm it. Bring on the hogs !

A game farm is one of those places like the famous "Big Bucks of Tecamate" (El Casador Ranch on TV (jeff foxworthy) , you know one where they just did a special segment last week due to the fact they are trying to "cover up" their secrets of raising deer on fenced in lots ( you see a lot of fences in the background shots on this show).

A game farm is just what it is, they raise a specific animal crop annually and charge you out the nose to shoot them, not hunt, "shoot", there's a difference.

Like the debate about local "buffalo hunting", surely you've heard about this one. The guy raises Bufflo and then charges people $2,500 to come to his farm and "hunt" (shoot, shhhh!) them in his pasture as they stand there and look at you... because they think it's feeding time...

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    This in itself is bad news unless they add it to the "No Closed Season" list.

The way the law reads, if there is no specific open season on a given species, it is "protected" wildlife and illegal to injure/kill/harass/capture. IOW: "closed season" by default.

I am certain this is for winged creatures only. When it comes to pigs, it's time to get your pork on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom