• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    hey guys im about to be going on another deployment in january and we are supposed to hit turkey as one of our ports. Guys that have been there before have said that shotgun vendors can come on the ship and sell some of there stuff. None of them are real gun guys, and dont know much about anything, so what are some turkish names that i should keep my eye out for?

any heads up would be great.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Well, as for huglus, they make nice shotguns but their quality is usually a little bit on the rough side and anything you purchase might need some trigger work. Alternative to huglus is always kahn.

In terms of what to get, look for a double (o/u) shotgun. As far as the price goes, they will give you the "stupid American" bonus of at least a 30% markup. Unless you claim starving children, a sick wife and being grossly underpaid by the military and being bankrupted by the first price he is giving you, you are not haggeling right.

Oh, Safirarms is a Turkish company as well. Think .410 AR-looking shotgun.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Remington imports a line or two from there as well. I think they got the guns that Charles Daly used to import.

The quality is OK, but not up to Browning or others.

What hoops would you need to go through to bring the gun back?

They let the gun vendors on ship? How isn't that a breach of security?

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    Remington imports a line or two from there as well. I think they got the guns that Charles Daly used to import.

The quality is OK, but not up to Browning or others.

What hoops would you need to go through to bring the gun back?

They let the gun vendors on ship? How isn't that a breach of security?

if you are talking about the spartan line they are russian made by Bakail, and were previously imported by EAA. They are a real cheap gun and thats about all I can say about them

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    lax, I stand corrected. I thought Remington did have a line from Turkey. I know Remington did bring some Mauser pattern rifles in that had been sold by CD.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    for me to bring back stuff is rather easy, they keep whatever i buy in the ships armory, and when we get back to the states we just load em up on the bus that takes us back to nc.

breach of security, theres not much on the hanger for someone to see, unless they want to hijack some ladders and ground support equiptment.

i was thinking of trying to find a small side by side coach gun, and for pricing, i got an insider tip. For some odd reason they cannot get zippo lighters there, and you can trade them for anything. So ill see how well that works.

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    Any Turkish made guns are generally thought to be junk. Of the couple of Huglus that I've had and several others that I am aware of, all needed to be replaced by CZ before they had 500 rounds through them. I bought one as "an occasional rainy day shooter" and it didn't even muster up to that task. I would not buy another one. Importing one would be considered a gray market gun and may or may not be under warranty.... and brother, you will need the warranty.

I read on different forums that some folks have had good luck with them, but I read those reports with a big dose of skepticism. As gun owners, we know better than most consumers that "you get what you pay for".

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I have nothing useful to add, but low quality or not, how many people can say they were deployed to Turkey and came home with a shotgun? They can't be too expensive, and the story alone would be worth it! :thumbsup:

Echo Victor

Mar 25, 2009
    Harf Co.
    Learn a few words in Turkish. I work with some Turkish guys and they really appreciate my EXTREMELY limited language skills. It’s a big respect thing with their culture.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Just because they say "My friend, my friend" doesn't mean they are your friend. (Of course that goes for just about everywhere...) I miss the apple tea and hookah pipe. Kinda funny that we can buy firearms (MUST DO PAPERWORK!!!) but not a multi-output water pipe for smoking legit materials. Rugs are another option, but you MUST know what you are looking for and can not sell them within X months of returning - otherwise you get nailed for importing without a license. Not as bad at the ATF messing with you, but pretty bad. Shipboard storage is another issue.

If this isn't your first rodeo: make eye contact. Smile with the eyes not just the mouth. A few words of the local language goes a looong way. Take a moment or ten and ask about their family, and have photos ready for yours. Don't have photos? Get some off the internet. If a stateside negotiation is a TV commercial, one over there (and elsewhere going East for a while) is a full out cinema production. Low-ball at 10-15% of what they start with and don't be a wuss. Sooner or later, equilibrium will be met. A lot of merchants about as happy with their full price as a vigorous sale.

The vendors know when the ships are coming into ports before the folks on the ships do - I've seen the same vendors (we greeted each other by first name) in multiple ports throughout each country. Makes the spider-sense tingle a bit.

Jan 7, 2010
    Beltsville, MD
    I lived in Adana Turkey (near Incirlik Air Base) for two years and had the opportunity to help the Huglu vendor on the "alley" outside base sell lots of O/U's to visiting Americans. Also shot lots of Huglus belonging to American Airmen from base. Talked to lots of Airmen who had extensive experience with Huglus and other cheaper brands. Generally, the Huglu is one of the better Turkish shotguns; though they are still not up to snuff compared to most top US brands. I encountered lots of trigger, ejection and firing pin issues in guns that had been shot a lot--mostly range rentals that didn't get proper care. I worked at the US Consulate and helped many visiting US congressmen buy shotguns on their Incirlik boondoggles, er, "layovers" on their way to/from Iraq/Afghanistan. One congressman bought 19 shotguns--all 20 ga and .410's as gifts for quail hunting friends and family--in one visit. The store owner was elated. Prices use to be quite cheap, but have risen considerably in recent years. The owner there had a system worked out where he would ship the guns he sold guns directly to his U.S. dealer counterpart--he would package the gun for shipment and complete the paperwork, then have the buyer ship legally through the base P.O. All the buyer had to do was fill out his portion of the paperwork and have the guns picked up at the dealer in the U.S. for a small fee, of course. All legal and above board. Bottom line on the Huglus: with proper care and expectation of future visits to the gunsmith, they can be fine guns. The higher end models have nicely engraved receivers and are quite handsome. Prices are still decent. I found they shot well, and I liked their balance and drop. I busted a lot of clays with Huglus at the Incirlik trap range.

WSJ

Jan 11, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I have a CZ Ringneck SxS 28 ga. that I like and with which I even manage to kill a grouse or two. The bluing and general exterior fit & finish are nice and the stock is flat lovely but it honestly it doesn't feel like a Beretta or Franchi or even SKB when you slide the selector or safety. But it's the first SxS I've owned and it has not failed to function yet. And it shoots where I point it. At half the price of other entry level SxS's you probably get what you pay for but for me that was the difference between having one or not. I hesitated on the Huglus but stepped up when CZ-USA picked up the line and started importing and warrantying them. I have had nothing but good luck with the CZ stuff.

Good luck. And haggle! Shamelessly! -WSJ

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    No, Stoegers are not good shotguns. They are in the same league as Turkish guns. Bottom line, as with most things, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom