Legal to shoot BB/Pellet guns in bakyard here in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I assume yes, but I searched and found in some states they are treated like firearms (NJ I think) and have to be fired on a range. I ask because my Dad wanted a pistol for Christmas, but you can't buy a pistol for someone, so I bought him a CO2 powered Crossman 357 revolver because he likes revolvers. He'll be out in his backyard shooting into a dirt/grass hill. Just wanted to make sure it was okay and legal since it "looks" like a real gun incase anyone ever shows up to investigate. Thanks

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I already bought him one though. When I was a kid, I shot the BB gun in his back yard, but that was a different time, different neighbors.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Call your local PD/sheriff's office and ask. Depends on where you are, by city/town and county. Even assuming it's legal, a lot depends on how responsible he is and how private the backyard is. He will be responsible for whatever he shoots at and what's behind what he shoots at. If a neighbor does call LE, it can get touchy extremely fast if his BB gun looks exactly like a real revolver. Tragedies happen when an LEO shoots somebody because an air/BB gun is indistinguishable from the real deal. Probably the most important thing is education on proper handling and safety, even though it's "only" a BB gun, and to immediately put it on the ground if an LEO ever shows up.

I realize this sounds like it's being written for a kid getting a BB gun, but even adults need reminders. Just because your dad knows it's a BB gun doesn't mean everybody else will.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I assume yes, but I searched and found in some states they are treated like firearms (NJ I think) and have to be fired on a range.

At least some air guns are treated as firearms because they easily hold enough pressure to fire lethal shots. Even pump BB guns have proven lethal at close range, usually because kids were left unsupervised with one.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I heard it's illegal to shoot bb guns in PG county(your local laws could be different), yet I grew up doing it and fired tens of thousands of bb's in my yard without any trouble from any police or neighbors. Same goes for fireworks. As long as you aren't bothering people they shouldn't bother you. I am not a lawyer.

GRClark

Feb 16, 2008
    Of course its illegal in Howard, unless you are a minimum distance from other residences. Pretty much rules out any suburban neighborhood.

The Shooter

Nov 28, 2010
    A.A. Co
    You have to be like a 1000 yards from a residential area in Davisonville. A friend was shooting a bb gun in her backyard neighbor didn't like it called the cops and she was charged with reckless endangerment and a few other charges.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    every area is different. Westminster city, you cant shoot anything that fires a projectile, including air guns. Outside that in Carroll, its totally legit.

Where is ur father?

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Whatttt. I lived in Thunder Hill in Howard County in the 90s and when I was 10 my dad bought me a pellet gun. I used to set up a couple of big boards of wood in front of the garage and then stand in the cul da sack 30 yards away and shoot balloons hanging on the boards. Neighbors didn't care, no one ever called the cops. Probably the reason I like guns to this day.

Sirex