• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    I live in Owings Mills, and around my apartment complex, and in the complex, there are TONS of B&E's. I keep my pistol beside my bed with 3 in the magazine and some loose rounds next to it. What does the law say about firing at an intruder? Citations would be great if you have them.

I haven't seen a thread about this here, so if this thread gets somewhere, might be a good idea to sticky it.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Where at in Owings Mills if you dont mind me asking (apartment complex not your personal address).

For starters most burglaries which arent targeted home invasions will happen while no one is home...making the firearm not a great defense. VERY few burglaries which arent targeted happen while the home owner is in the residence.

Self defense in your home is no different then walking down the street. You need to be in fear of yours or anothers safety. You need to be able to articulate what happened to put you in fear of your life or being seriously injured.

Some will post a new "Castle Doctrine" law that passed this year. It's not a free-be to shoot anyone inside your house. It spares you some of the civil issues if you do under proper circumstances.

It makes little sense to load a firearm to half or quarter capacity.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    3 in the magazine? Why not fill it up?

Bad for the magazine to keep it fully loaded. You want it jamming because of a worn out spring? I know TONS of ex-military and firearms experts that agree with me that keeping a mag full, and not doing anything (i.e. not shooting it all the time) is a bad idea.

I live in Richmar, right across from Target. Look at www.crimereports.com, type Richmar Rd. 21117 into the search bar. You'll see all the crime. I grew up in York PA. I'm not used to all of this.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Bad for the magazine to keep it fully loaded. You want it jamming because of a worn out spring? I know TONS of ex-military and firearms experts that agree with me that keeping a mag full, and not doing anything (i.e. not shooting it all the time) is a bad idea.

I live in Richmar, right across from Target. Look at www.crimereports.com, type Richmar Rd. 21117 into the search bar. You'll see all the crime. I grew up in York PA. I'm not used to all of this.

Not shooting your firearm is the surest way not to know whether it will function effectively when you need it. Excercise the gun, your hands, and the mags. Springs don't wear out quickly... no decent magazine spring will wear out completely in a week, or even a year, of just sitting there compressed. If you aren't shooting at least once a month, you might as well have an empty gun.

Mark

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

This is why you do malfunction and emergency reload drills, in case you have a screwed up mag. People just don't get this concept. You don't keep extra mags because you will need 45 rounds.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I live in Owings Mills, and around my apartment complex, and in the complex, there are TONS of B&E's. I keep my pistol beside my bed with 3 in the magazine and some loose rounds next to it. What does the law say about firing at an intruder? Citations would be great if you have them.

I haven't seen a thread about this here, so if this thread gets somewhere, might be a good idea to sticky it.

First, fill the mag. Nothing worse than fumbling in the dark when you need a 4th.

Second, you are afraid for your life until you hear 'click'.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    Well if someone kicks my door in, I'm going to be afraid of my life, and my wife's. There's my justification.

My handgun is a WW2 era Yugo Tokarev, 7.62x25mm. No plastic there.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Well if someone kicks my door in, I'm going to be afraid of my life, and my wife's. There's my justification.

My handgun is a WW2 era Yugo Tokarev, 7.62x25mm. No plastic there.

make sure your ammo is good if your using surplus. I have a case of surplus that has misfires in about 1 out of 12-15. I have another case that goes bang every time.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    I've put 500'ish rounds through it. Only jammed when it was my own fault for loading the round wrong. (not tapping the mag to make sure the rounds were all the way back.) Surp has been just fine for me. But next to the bed is all Winchester.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    I've put 500'ish rounds through it. Only jammed when it was my own fault for loading the round wrong. (not tapping the mag to make sure the rounds were all the way back.) Surp has been just fine for me. But next to the bed is all Winchester.

That's cool, but I prefer and recommend Wolf Gold HP's....:party29:
    What kind of milsurp are you using? Just curious.......

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    faze,

Load them mags all the way full. Compression doesn't affect the mags, its repeated emptying and filling the does. Like it was said, take it to the range so you will know when they get worn out. It doesn't happen overnight. 3 rounds is NOT enough to depend on, even if there is just one guy! My AR is loaded with a 30 round mag.

As far as the laws, if you have to shoot someone don't shoot them in the back. They are supposed to be posing a threat to you. IMO I would shoot an unarmed person in my house if they didn't retreat just for fear on them taking my gun. Really though, shoot to kill. A dead guy is less likely to sue you.

Also, the Tokarev isn't the best HD gun in the world, but if thats all you got then that's your gun. The problem is that they don't make commercial factory loads, (atleast I don't think...) or atleast its not common, and you have to rely on milsurp ammo. That means you are relying on a FMJ round that isn't exactly known for much stopping power, and it might not go bang everytime. If you can find quality HP ammunition, try it with your gun and if it works well then use it. Its a reliable gun though, for the most part. The surplus ammunition though not so much...

And again...load the mags all the way. You need to count on MULTIPLE hits no matter what gun you have. Shoot until they are no longer a threat.

CavJoshh

Veteran
    Jul 27, 2010
    Parkville

As everyone has already stated, fill the mag. Won't go into that further.

I used to live right up the road from you in the apartment complex behind Franklin High School, Preserves at Owings Manor. That whole area has gotten worse over the last 3-5 years since the Metro allows the inner city street trash to get cheap transportation and all the complexes out there are doing Section 8 housing. The complex I lived in had different management every single year I lived there for 3 years straight.

I kept my 30-06 loaded in the bedroom until I picked up my Glock 22 and I always had my two noisy dogs there to act as an early warning signal for any intruders.

It's a shame the area has gotten so bad, but I know exactly what you mean as I actually stopped using that Target across the street because of the quality of the individuals using it. I wouldn't even let my wife walk the dogs after dark and I always made sure she knew how to use my 30-06 and Glock in case I wasn't home and she needed to defend herself. Shouldn't be that way but it is. I now live in Parkville on Old Harford Road and I have to say that even as close to city limits as it is (Barely in the County by about 4 blocks), it is so much quieter and friendlier. I don't fear for my wife when she walks the dogs after dark and the neighborhood is clean

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    ...My handgun is a WW2 era Yugo Tokarev, 7.62x25mm. No plastic there.

Yugoslavia didn't start making the Tokarev until 1957. Mine is from 1961 (you can tell by the first digit, a letter, in the serial.

You shouldn't have to tap the magazine to seat the round. You should be able to press each round all the way to the rear of the mag with your thumb as each one is inserted.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    In MD you have no duty to retreat, though if you have that option it is often preferable. Most B&E guys are just looking for some easy money and not for trouble... but don't go clearing your house or otherwise escalating the situation. Especially if you have family, stay in the same room with them and wait for the cops.

If you are threatened by the intruder, then you have the right to defend yourself with a firearm in MD. However you can't shoot someone for simply being in your house at 2AM, nor as they escape out the window with your gold Rolex. Force can only be used when there is an immediate threat to life. Not to protect property.

It's always better if you can avoid using your firearm. But if you have to defend yourself, then shoot to kill. If a life is being threatened, you must positively stop the threat. There is no such thing as "less than lethal" self-defense when a firearm is involved. And that's one less witness to lie and testify against you later.

If you do shoot someone in your own home, or even if shots are fired, it will be investigated as a criminal act. That doesn't mean you will be charged with anything, and it's always better judged by 12 than carried by 6. But no one wants to invite the state's attorney into their lives, so again... don't go looking for trouble in your own house.

Keep your gun locked up or WELL-hidden when not home. Most B&Es happen during the day when people aren't around, and your self-defense weapon is more likely to get stolen than it is to come to your aid.

Keep a light with your gun, especially if you have older kids that may be up at night looking for snacks, or coming in late. Positively identify anything before you shoot it.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

The magazine debate is dated really. Any modern high quality weapon system is not going to be affected by keeping the magazines loaded in this century. Compressing and uncompressing of the spring wears it down...not keep constant pressure on it. Load up your magazines.

As far as Richmar...I sent you a private message.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    That's cool, but I prefer and recommend Wolf Gold HP's....:party29:
    What kind of milsurp are you using? Just curious.......

Polish surp.

Thanks for the input everyone. I just see this crap in the news all the time, some homeowner getting railroaded for protecting his family from morons that break in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom