• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stout33

Nov 1, 2011
    Bethsda
    Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a place to go turkey hunting this spring. This will be my first time hunting ever so I am pretty excited. Does anyone know any public land that would be good for hunting in April for turkey? I am near the Frederick area and I am just looking for any suggestions. Also, any tips, tricks, or helpful comments would be greatly appreciated; happy hunting!

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    The MD DNR link below has some info on public lands available for hunting. Using a decoy and calls can help your odds. There are lots of call types, mouth, box, slate, etc., find one you're comfortable with and practice. Once hunting, a lot of hunters tend to call too much. If you should get a tom to answer, back off the calling until its moving in closer then use a few soft clucks. Good luck!

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Publiclands/index.asp

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    I was told that there are some really huge turkeys in Annapolis.....I don't think you should hunt them though, they are full of sh*t.

Stout33

Nov 1, 2011
    Bethsda
    The MD DNR link below has some info on public lands available for hunting. Using a decoy and calls can help your odds. There are lots of call types, mouth, box, slate, etc., find one you're comfortable with and practice. Once hunting, a lot of hunters tend to call too much. If you should get a tom to answer, back off the calling until its moving in closer then use a few soft clucks. Good luck!

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Publiclands/index.asp

Thanks so much! This site is a big help; I have been practicing the mouth call a lot and have been getting pretty good. Ironically enough I am good at using that and just terrible at the slate call. Little more practice and I should be good, but I defiantly need to get a decoy.

redrumtc

Dec 10, 2008
    howard co
    There tons of places up there green ridge when I first start I hunted public land took some birds just don't let one season get u down if you don't bag one there hard stay in one spot and dont owl call after sun rise I can't stand that like owls call all-day lol if you want to shock them use a gobbler call.. have fun be safe I will be in southern MD for the opener.

Stout33

Nov 1, 2011
    Bethsda
    Thanks man! I am closer towards Westminster so going out to Green Ridge would be a little bit of a hike. Currently I have been looking at the Hanover Watershed area. I haven't scouted any land but i definitely need too. If anyone has any experience in central Maryland turkey hunting let me know some hot spots!

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Frederick city watershed has a good population of turkey. I have never hunted them there but have encounterd them several times while hunting something else.

redrumtc

Dec 10, 2008
    howard co
    hey i will take you out around howard county you want a bird I will put you on some fast pm with your # one thing I do well is hunt and know were big deer lay and bird roost..

redrumtc

Dec 10, 2008
    howard co
    you must keep these spot close to you. I will call them in for you man.. I have decoys and I know were they hang up every year please on this spot just take 1 bird a year.

mykh11

Mar 22, 2012
    Frederick, Md
    I'm new to hunting in Maryland and was thinking about spring gobbler hunting at the Frederick watershed. Does anyone if it gets over hunted during spring turkey season?

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    If any of you Turkey Hunters are looking to hunt in Garrett Co - Id suggest scouting out your area NOW!

Im already hearing the Toms gobble, and strutting -probably because of the warm weather. Heard one gobbling like mad near my house the other morning as well.

Have also seen the Toms strutting in nearby PA (Somerset) areas, while on the road.

Now would be a good time to scout. Look for where they are roosting, and plan your calling nearby.

jayc0968

Cpl, U.S.M.C. 87-92
    Sep 22, 2009
    Crofton, MD
    Turkey hunting = tick season, wear a gallon of deet.

And mosquitos this year- might get carried off.

Im already hearing the Toms gobble, and strutting -probably because of the warm weather. Heard one gobbling like mad near my house the other morning as well.

I was thinking about this a couple days ago too, with the sudden early spring. May totally throw the gobble charts off this year.

furbyf0

Feb 20, 2013
    back to the outdoors

Just started hunting again this fall. Lookin for someone to partner up with to go out for some gobblers? I have been scouting some areas in Carroll County and only bow hunt.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Thanks man! I am closer towards Westminster so going out to Green Ridge would be a little bit of a hike.

LOL, in the '70s and '80s I would leave Southern MD to turkey hunt in Green Ridge as it was the CLOSEST place to go! Hunted sika in Dorchester then too!

Heck I STILL head out to Alleghany or Garrett county to hunt fall turkey every year, even though them hills get steeper every year!

Guess it depends on how bad you want to do something

deadpunk

Mar 11, 2013
    If u want an exper. Hunter to hunt with email me. Im a us army soldier stationed on fort detrick, just let me know

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom