• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I am currently thinking about / looking for a S&W Model 29-2. I want a blued one with an 8 3/8" barrel. If anyone could give me any advice on this gun I would appreciate it. I am not real well versed on S&Ws or wheel guns in general. Thanks.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    What are Coke bottle grips? What do I need to know about these guns? What should I look out for? Are there any weak spots or defects that I need to look out for? Are there any to be had locally? What is a fair price to pay for one in good condition?

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    What are Coke bottle grips? What do I need to know about these guns? What should I look out for? Are there any weak spots or defects that I need to look out for? Are there any to be had locally? What is a fair price to pay for one in good condition?

The Smith & Wesson forum will have the significance of Cokes. I'd be writing for days if I tried to explain it.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008

They were the last of the pinned and recessed model 29s.
    There are probably more 29-2s than any other model out there.
    What kind of shooting are you planning to do? The Smith revolvers are not as sturdy as the Ruger and Dan Wesson revolvers and if fed a steady diet of heavy loads they will shoot loose. The silhouette shooters of the 1980s found this out.
    With the 29-5 Smith started with the "endurance package" which solved some of the problems (like the cylinder rotating backward" but not all.
    Smith will add these modifications to your gun for $30 if you decide you want them. I have never bothered.
    If you stick with loads up to 240grs that gun will outlast you.
    I reload and generally push a 240gr bullet right around 1100fps. This lets me shoot 200+ rounds in an afternoon and doesn't punish me or the gun.
    I was with a buddy last year when he found one in a local shop for $799. That one was a 4in nickel in the wooden case with the tools.
    They are still out there and can be found reasonably priced.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Pretty sure Freestate has a couple S&W 44s that you would like.

They have a very nice blued 44 with an 8" barrel, not sure of the model. They have a "Dirty Harry" with the 6 1/2" barrel, and a stainless 629 with hogue grips that I'm trying to convince myself I don't need and can't afford ammo for it, plus wife would kill me, etc.....

They also have 2 Pythons (one blue, one nickel) and an Anaconda......place is stocked with nice revolvers....

Anyone got 2200 clams to give me so I can get the nickel plated Python? You will recieve cookies at christmas time and my eternal gratitude :D

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Pretty sure Freestate has a couple S&W 44s that you would like.

They have a very nice blued 44 with an 8" barrel, not sure of the model. They have a "Dirty Harry" with the 6 1/2" barrel, and a stainless 629 with hogue grips that I'm trying to convince myself I don't need and can't afford ammo for it, plus wife would kill me, etc.....

They also have 2 Pythons (one blue, one nickel) and an Anaconda......place is stocked with nice revolvers....

Anyone got 2200 clams to give me so I can get the nickel plated Python? You will recieve cookies at christmas time and my eternal gratitude :D

I drooled over them a bit last week. Beautiful revolvers, all of them, even factoring in my drool. :)

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    BY Coke Bottle grips do you mean the factory wood grips ?

Yes. They look like the attached photo. When viewed from behind, the silhouette looks like a classic coke bottle, hence the name. Buyer beware. There are lots of modern aftermarket replacement grips that look almost identical, including a S&W logo. The aftermarket versions are worth anywhere from nothing to a small fraction of the value of original grips. Original grips in like new condition can sell for $400-$500 (just the grips, not including the gun).

Attachments

• p1000932a.jpg
      p1000932a.jpg
      80.5 KB · Views: 112

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Thanks everybody for your help. I will have to call Freestate and see if they still have those guns. I hate to buy a used gun on the internet. I like to check them out in person. Thanks again.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Thanks everybody for your help. I will have to call Freestate and see if they still have those guns. I hate to buy a used gun on the internet. I like to check them out in person. Thanks again.

Good thinking. I wouldn't either. I've been in too many situations where the condition in the online ad (or over the phone) is greatly exaggerated compared to when I go to see the gun in person. Very analogous to buying a used automobile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom