• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmbstyle17

Dec 31, 2008
    Millersville
    Im looking to get my non resident Florida ccw permit and I know a firearms safety course is required, but I was wondering if it has to be a handgun specific course. I completed a NRA Basic Rifle course back in 2008, and I was wondering if that would meet the requirement? I was hoping to save some money and not have to take a NRA Basic Pistol course.

Thanks!

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    It doesn't say "Pistol"...might come down to their definition of "firearm". If it were me, I would just use what you have.

(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
    1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
    2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
    4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
    6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
    7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Florida doesnt distinguish between res and non-res, for future reference. As long as you have a MD Hunters Safety card you are good to go. Include your queer MSP online handgun safety card, good to go.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    This is directly from the Florida web pages (with bold text by me)

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ing=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.06.html

7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;
    A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

Take-aways: it is pretty flexible on the specifics of the class, but it also requires a live fire demonstration.

There are plenty of Industry Partner trainers here on MDS who do the Utah certification and who will for a small additional fee get you out to a range to provide the live fire certification requirement for the Florida permit as well.

rmbstyle17

Dec 31, 2008
    Millersville
    This is directly from the Florida web pages (with bold text by me)

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ing=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.06.html

Take-aways: it is pretty flexible on the specifics of the class, but it also requires a live fire demonstration.

There are plenty of Industry Partner trainers here on MDS who do the Utah certification and who will for a small additional fee get you out to a range to provide the live fire certification requirement for the Florida permit as well.

We did do a live fire demonstration during the NRA basic rifle course.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Your NRA Basic Rifle class should be fine. I like to see folks take a handgun specific course, but if after having taken that NRA rifle course, you understand how to safely handle and discharge a rifle, the same concept of safety should apply and that is what I believe is the legislative intent of their requirement.

Go for it.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Im looking to get my non resident Florida ccw permit and I know a firearms safety course is required, but I was wondering if it has to be a handgun specific course. I completed a NRA Basic Rifle course back in 2008, and I was wondering if that would meet the requirement? I was hoping to save some money and not have to take a NRA Basic Pistol course.

Thanks!

My hunting partner only ever completed a Black Power Course in NJ and Florida granted him a CCW.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    My hunting partner only ever completed a Black Power Course in NJ and Florida granted him a CCW.

Was this him?

black_power.jpg

:lol:

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    I can't stop thinking now of the Dave Chappel skit were he played a blind black man who was in the KKK and doesn't realize he's black .... "White power!!" he'd say over and over....:lol2::lol::lol2:

Biohazard2m

Apr 12, 2012
    Ok, I was browsing through this thread with no issue until I got to the picture... I laughed quite out loud. Well played, well played indeed

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom