• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I am having trouble finding .32 S&W Long locally, but I have boxes of .32ACP all over the place. The .32ACP is a semi-rimmed cartridge and fits the cylinder, but since they are FMJ rounds I worry about putting them down the barrel of my old Police Positive.

The pressure is an interesting discussion, as even though there is a max pressure for the .32 S&W Long casings, a lot of old reloading data predating the .32 H&R Mag shows guys hot rodding the .32 S&W Long past .32ACP velocities (over 1000fps) and shooting them in the old Smiths and Colts (the beefy full-frame .38 models that were chambered down to .32). These velocities would put the casing into .32 H&R territory, which operates at a similar pressure to .32ACP. So, as long as the rim and headspacing are there, couldn't the gun theoretically handle these pressures if the old reloaders that were really dialing up the heat in the .32 S&W Long were doing it safely?

Mtwoodson

May 7, 2011
    Western Eastern Shore
    Don't do it. They are not interchangable.

The notes below are stolen from another forum.
    Nominal bullet diameter of the .32ACP is .311". The .32 H&R Mag., .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long launch .307" bullets. The revolver cases are straight sided .337" tubes, the .32 ACP tapers from .337" to .336" at the mouth. The ACP rim is nominally .357", the revolver case rims .375".

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The 32 S&W Long has a very low SAMMI pressure level in deference to the remaining 19th century guns that were junk even when new. The .32acp pressure while relativley higher , is still pretty low in the overall sense. The Police Positives were decently strong guns Pressure wise you would be within the guns capabilities.

The potential issues would be long jump to throat, and minium spec ammo generous chambers "might" have issues with consistant ignition or extraction. So while if you give careful consideration , and make adult decision to do so , restrict it to recreational shooting , and not SD.

Of course the proper ammo IS available. Probably not at Wally World , or the corner store , it is avalable from all the usual mail order/ online sources. And excellent ctg to handload.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    .32 S&W Long is a revolver cartridge. .32 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) is a self-loading pistol cartridge. Don't even think of mixing them.

Revolvers chambered for .32 S&W Long will also shoot .32 S&W, .32 Colt New Police, and .32 Colt Police Positive.

There are lots of places online selling .32 S&W Long. I bought two boxes of Sellier & Bellot .32 S&W Long LRN at The Gun Shop in Essex. Call them, and call FreeState Gun Range too.

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    This wasn't meant to be a discussion on where to find .32 S&W Long, I have plenty of brass from it. Back in the '50s and '60s a lot of people used to talk about using the .32ACP in .32 revolvers. Seen it in a few gun magazines but now I can't find any references to what I read.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Back in the '50s and '60s a lot of people used to talk about using the .32ACP in .32 revolvers. Seen it in a few gun magazines but now I can't find any references to what I read.

Are you talking about the cylinders you can get for Nagant revolvers that let you shoot .32 ACP in them?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    While the .32acp is an autoloader ctg , it (along with .25acp and .38acp/ .38Super ) are semi-rimmed.. The .25acp has no analog. The .38 Super will fit in .357 mag chamber, albeit slightly loosely., and at lower than .357 full power pressures. Might have extraction issues in DA rev , and might swell enough to be difficult to .38 Super dimentions.

* whenever ctg is different than gun , if used at all , give careful thought , adult decision making , and no whining. *

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom