• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    The DNR guy (big beard, Dan?) was out there on Sunday setting everyone straight on the rules. It was helpful to get some first-hand thoughts from him on proper etiquette and the stuff he has to deal with.

I'm sorry you had to encounter Mr. Eversberg. You have my condolences.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm sorry you had to encounter Mr. Eversberg. You have my condolences.

Well..., if people followed the rules and were a little attentive to where their rounds are impacting, I'm sure his demeanor (and blood pressure) would improve some.

The sad truth is, the poor guy's been eating a crap sandwich from Management and some of the patrons for a while now, I can't help but feel for him a bit.

It might be a nice change of pace if everyone tried to put themselves in his position every once and a while, instead of knocking on him. :)

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    It might be a nice change of pace if everyone tried to put themselves in his position every once and a while, instead of knocking on him. :)

That's where I'm coming from. I work with DNR leadership in my job, so I know where they're coming from in terms of budget cuts and those sorts of frustrations. I do think there's an appropriate balance between being overly anal about some things and letting a few morons screw it up for the rest of us. Several of the target stands got shot to hell on Saturday, so he was understandably not pleased.

Citizen

Red Man in a Blue State
    Nov 9, 2012
    Calvert Collective, PRM
    Well..., if people followed the rules and were a little attentive to where their rounds are impacting, I'm sure his demeanor (and blood pressure) would improve some.

The sad truth is, the poor guy's been eating a crap sandwich from Management and some of the patrons for a while now, I can't help but feel for him a bit.

I have gone to MG many times, going on 10 years. Encountered Ranger Dan just a couple of weeks ago.

What, exactly is his story? And authority? Who put him in charge? Truly, I am asking for background info, as I would not like to jump to conclusions before I know the facts.

But, his attitude comes across as 'Range Nazi'. I understand the need for rules, to protect the shooters and the range. But, it can be done with a bit of decorum, tact and diplomacy.

I witnessed him going full DI on a young fellow about stapled targets and 'orange webbing surrounding the target' until I had enough of his bullying and went over and offered some of my cardboard and showed the youngster 'proper' range 'etiquette' to suit Ranger Dan. He promptly left when some wannabe 'gang bangers' showed up with modified AR's.

Barking out a bunch of commands because you think you are in charge smacks of raisonettes for cajone's.

...jus' sayin'

...hope someone corrects me and show where I'm wrong, but first impressions are a mofo.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

Dan has been there for a very long time and has put more of himself into keeping that place operational than anyone else. The level of full retard and outright vandalism that goes on there is beyond belief. I can't think of a single problem in over 20yrs that I have had with him exept maybe my pistol flying over his shoulder when he touched off one of my 500gr specials ahead of 90grns of powder. I think he thought I was performing when I was shooting it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Simply put, Dan is the guy keeping the range useful for us - not management.

He is a DNR employee, and the one undoing the damage done to the range by people not taking the time to read the rules or giving a shyt about them to begin with.

He has his moments, as we all do from time to time.

If people don't like the efforts being made to keep the range open, or don't care that someone's hard work is being pissed on basically, they're free to find another range...

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I have gone to MG many times, going on 10 years. Encountered Ranger Dan just a couple of weeks ago.

What, exactly is his story? And authority? Who put him in charge? Truly, I am asking for background info, as I would not like to jump to conclusions before I know the facts.

But, his attitude comes across as 'Range Nazi'. I understand the need for rules, to protect the shooters and the range. But, it can be done with a bit of decorum, tact and diplomacy.

I witnessed him going full DI on a young fellow about stapled targets and 'orange webbing surrounding the target' until I had enough of his bullying and went over and offered some of my cardboard and showed the youngster 'proper' range 'etiquette' to suit Ranger Dan. He promptly left when some wannabe 'gang bangers' showed up with modified AR's.

Barking out a bunch of commands because you think you are in charge smacks of raisonettes for cajone's.

...jus' sayin'

...hope someone corrects me and show where I'm wrong, but first impressions are a mofo.
    DNR gives him the authority..

Dan has been there for a very long time and has put more of himself into keeping that place operational than anyone else. The level of full retard and outright vandalism that goes on there is beyond belief. I can't think of a single problem in over 20yrs that I have had with him exept maybe my pistol flying over his shoulder when he touched off one of my 500gr specials ahead of 90grns of powder. I think he thought I was performing when I was shooting it.
    :thumbsup:

Citizen

Red Man in a Blue State
    Nov 9, 2012
    Calvert Collective, PRM
    DNR gives him the authority..

:thumbsup:

If that's the case, he should wear some sort of identification as to such. An ID badge, a vest w/ a patch, some sort of official cap or insignia. A tee shirt even.

It would go a long way to have people accept his 'authority' instead of thinking he's just some sort of jackwagon, self-appointed range gruppenfuhrer.

Last edited:

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    If that's the case, he should wear some sort of identification as to such. An ID bag, a vest w/ a patch, some sort of official cap or insignia. A tee shirt even.

It would go a long way to have people accept his 'authority' instead of thinking he's just some sort of jackwagon, self-appointed range gruppenfuhrer.

He normaly has uniform pants on and if you walked up the range you would see the DNR truck he drives all the time

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If that's the case, he should wear some sort of identification as to such. An ID bag, a vest w/ a patch, some sort of official cap or insignia. A tee shirt even.

He normally wears something referring to DNR. Since Management won't pay for him to be there in an official capacity on the weekends - he can't be too brazen with ID, but that is a valid point you make.

Most regulars know him by sight or by sound.

Citizen

Red Man in a Blue State
    Nov 9, 2012
    Calvert Collective, PRM
    Went to Myrtle today, before it's closed for deer season, to try out the wife's baby Glock. Cute toy. :)

Anyway, we got there about 10:30, range was full. Had to wait only about 20 minutes. Someone earlier, either that morning or the day (Wednesday?) before had shot up a few of the target stands with shotguns pellets. :mad54: My stand was barely together and there was another one that someone had shot through and it was missing the top and right side. There was not a single clothes pin to be found, all of them being previously shot up. (Lesson: bring your own, kiddies)

All together, there was a good group there respecting Range rule and proper shooting etiquette. We were there for about 1 hour and there was a line of about 4 groups waiting. All in all, a good day at the range. :thumbsup:

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    Went to Myrtle today, before it's closed for deer season, to try out the wife's baby Glock. Cute toy. :)

Anyway, we got there about 10:30, range was full. Had to wait only about 20 minutes. Someone earlier, either that morning or the day (Wednesday?) before had shot up a few of the target stands with shotguns pellets. :mad54: My stand was barely together and there was another one that someone had shot through and it was missing the top and right side. There was not a single clothes pin to be found, all of them being previously shot up. (Lesson: bring your own, kiddies)

All together, there was a good group there respecting Range rule and proper shooting etiquette. We were there for about 1 hour and there was a line of about 4 groups waiting. All in all, a good day at the range. :thumbsup:

I think they got tore up on Monday. The guys shooting next to me had a bunch of buckshot and two shotguns with every NCstar accessory ever made. I left before they started shooting the shotgun.

Last edited:
    If you guys see them unload a couple saigas and a case of buckshot, gently remind them of the rules. Otherwise they will just shoot the stands up, then come back on a weekday, when no one is around, and repeat the damage on a new set of target stands. I have reminded a few folks in the past and generally they are receptive.
    Makes me wonder what's going to happen to the place when they stop rebuilding the stands. :asshat:s start showing up with improper targets of their own, or start attaching targets to the uprights like they did in the past, then they shoot the place up and it's closed for months again. Or worse they just get tired of maintaining it and close it completely.

Citizen

Red Man in a Blue State
    Nov 9, 2012
    Calvert Collective, PRM
    Or worse they just get tired of maintaining it and close it completely.

That, Sir, is my greatest fear.

Gun ownership is hanging by a thread in the People's Utopia of Merryland. The :asshat:'s in Annie Polis are looking for any excuse to take our Constitutional rights away....with the present Regime in charge, they're almost there.

Chris0nllyn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 6, 2012
    Calvert County
    So, I'm a bit late to the game, and after going in the woods this past weekend, I realized I need a scope for my 870.

I just ordered one, and in the spirit of Cyber Monday, didn't even think about how I would sight it in.

Anyone have an idea where I could sight it in before shotgun season ends?

Outerlimits

Feb 21, 2009
    Port Tobacco/Cape Coral Fl
    Say what you want about Dan, as said, he takes it very personally when his target stands get shot up. Back when the economy first took a crap, he was scabbing the wood legs back together because they cut the budget to the range for the wood and plastic fencing they use on the stands. He did anything he could to make it work. Call him what you want....but he personally cares if that range stays open or not. Their have been several neighbors that have organized complaints for noise against the range. So far the DNR have always been able to settle the complaints quietly. He has also been a part of that.

Citizen

Red Man in a Blue State
    Nov 9, 2012
    Calvert Collective, PRM
    Say what you want about Dan, as said, he takes it very personally when his target stands get shot up.......

It pisses me off too! No need to abuse something that is practically free use.

.....Call him what you want....but he personally cares if that range stays open or not. Their have been several neighbors that have organized complaints for noise against the range. So far the DNR have always been able to settle the complaints quietly. He has also been a part of that.

Like I said from my first impression of him, he came across as 'Range Nazi'. Now that I know a little more background I'll cut him mass quantities of slack, knowing that he has MG's best interest at heart.

As I posted & have subsequently learned, I'm glad to be wrong about my first impression. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom