147gr 9mm Subsonic Load Data - Anyone else want to share?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I just picked up some Montana Gold 147gr CMJ's (Complete Metal Jacket) for a subsonic load Im gonna work on to be used with a SilencerCo Osprey 9mm suppressor. I dont have the suppressor yet as the ATF takes a friggin long time for approval, but I wanted to make a test batch to see how they functioned. I'll be testing them in my Glock 17 and Sig P226 Elite which the suppressor will be used on once its approved. So I loaded up 20 test rounds with 3.3gr's of Titegroup and Winchester small pistol primers at an OAL of 1.135. They should be around 915-925 fps. I hope to get to the range this Saturday to test them out.

So, Im just curious, does anyone else have a 9mm subsonic load they want to share?

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I like to use accurate no 7 as you can push it a wee faster as the pressure curve is more gradual than with a faster burning powder. This allows a gradual build up in the barrel without exceeding cup pressure. It is best to look at the load data and use a chronigraph while looking for pressure signs.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Agreed. The load Im using is the starting load for the particular powder. As long as it stays subsonic, which Im sure it will, and is accurate enough through my hosts/suppressor, I'll just leave it as is.

I might also refine the load for accuracy at a later date. But that will be for my G34 which I wont be shooting suppressed.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Your Titegroup load should work well for you.
    I used that load for a while but I think I may have been at 3.4gr.
    I switched to 3.4gr VVN320 because it is so much cleaner than Titegroup and has a much lower muzzle flash.
    OAL 1.131 with a ZERO 147gr JHP and a Federal primer.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Are you buying the N320 locally or online? It's a pricey powder, but I've also heard it makes a great subsonic load. I might have to try it out one day.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Subsonic load

I've used 3.9 gr W231 under Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHPs for pin shooting. The 3.9gr is a max load in the Lee manual, but a sheet included with the bullets took it up to 4.2 gr. I have no idea of the velocity, I was at that time a member the "heavy and slow" school of pinshooting.
    I would follow molonlabe's caveat, use a chronograph and watch for pressure signs.
    I have heard that the 147's may not be as accurate as 115's in some firearms because the heavier bullets don't stabilize as well (this is hearsay, a friend noted the difference in accuracy from a ?Ruger carbine). From a shorter suppressed barrel, the difference may not be significant at the usual ranges.
    DocAitch

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Are you buying the N320 locally or online? It's a pricey powder, but I've also heard it makes a great subsonic load. I might have to try it out one day.

I ordered my last 4lb when I needed some other stuff as well to make hazmat worth it.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Went to the range today and shot my test rounds. They were 100% in both my P226 Elite and my G17 with no signs of overpressure. Gonna load up another batch and hopefully make it to the range again tomorrow.

Uncle Krunkle

Sep 29, 2010
    I load 147gr Hornady HP/XTP with between 6.0 gr and 6.3 gr of AA No.7 (depending on if I'm reloading for my 16" 9mm AR or my Glock 17).

I don't have a chronograph, so I don't try to get to close to the speed of sound. That way they work in all seasons and temperature ranges. Speed of sound at 68 °F is 1126 ft/s and 1,088 ft/s at 32 °F.

I used this data to estimate that a 16" 9mm AR barrel adds about 100 ft/s to the data listed in my Hornady manual (their data is for a full sized pistol, I believe).

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    147g Precision Delta FMJ over 3.8g WW231 gives me roughly 950fps (PF 140) out of a 5" M&P. OAL=1.120". Very mild shooting load and more accurate than I need. This same load also shoots great in a G19 and G26.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    147 gn rainier rn,3.5 gn bullseye,1.190 oal.rockriver ar 16" barrel with yhm can.very quite and accurate at 100 yd.case lenth and oal matters.

Seems like an awfully long OAL. 9mm's max suggested OAL is 1.169

Why do you load them at such a long OAL?

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    accuracy,you would be surprised the differance oal and case lenth makes with my ar.

Interesting. I didnt now that a round would even chamber with such a long OAL. Is it specific to your 9mm AR, or do those loads also function in a 9mm semi-auto pistol?

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I just picked up some Montana Gold 147gr CMJ's ... So I loaded up 20 test rounds with 3.3gr's of Titegroup and Winchester small pistol primers at an OAL of 1.135. They should be around 915-925 fps. I hope to get to the range this Saturday to test them out.

So, Im just curious, does anyone else have a 9mm subsonic load they want to share?

Sorry, just saw this. Chronographed 3.3gr Titegroup, 147gr, Win SPP, OAL 1.160 a while back. (Thanks Braddbdl)

From an unsupressed Ruger P-89 I was getting ~850-900fps.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Sorry, just saw this. Chronographed 3.3gr Titegroup, 147gr, Win SPP, OAL 1.160 a while back. (Thanks Braddbdl)

From an unsupressed Ruger P-89 I was getting ~850-900fps.

Sounds like my estimate of 915-925 fps should be about right given the difference is OAL. Thanks for the info.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    147g Precision Delta FMJ over 3.8g WW231 gives me roughly 950fps (PF 140) out of a 5" M&P. OAL=1.120". Very mild shooting load and more accurate than I need. This same load also shoots great in a G19 and G26.

Nice shooting load, thanks! I got a 1000 147g FMJ's from Precision Delta for Christmas and rounded up some 231. I started 10% lower at 3.3grs., some at 3.6 and 3.9 and they all shoot nicely. The 3.3's made it out of the barrel, but were weak and I doubt would make PF. That 231 shoots so much cleaner than Bullseye or Unique..My gun: XDm 4.5".

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Guess I should update you guys. My Silencerco Osprey 9mm suppressor was approved a couple months back. I've been using the Titegroup load I posted originally and it performs great. It's very quiet suppressed and runs 100% in my P226 Elite and Glock 17 suppressed or unsuppressed. Guess you can say that she's a keeper.

IMAG0124-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom