• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Powerstroke

Oct 20, 2010
    Fallston
    I'm 18, I understand most shops will sell these as cash and carry but others sell as regulated. I'm sure its a long shot to see if there are any available out there now but, figured I'd try.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Wow, you have been on this site since you were 15, that's great.
    You would have a problem even if you find someone to sell this to you. IF SB281 passes, and you already have this rifle in an unregulated form, it would become regulated under the new laws, and would have to be "re-Registered", but you can't because you aren't old enough to own a regulated rifle in Md.
    If I were you and you really want an HBAR, get a Colt that has "HBAR"engraved on it.

Anything else could cause problems later.

Powerstroke

Oct 20, 2010
    Fallston
    Wow, you have been on this site since you were 15, that's great.
    You would have a problem even if you find someone to sell this to you. IF SB281 passes, and you already have this rifle in an unregulated form, it would become regulated under the new laws, and would have to be "re-Registered", but you can't because you aren't old enough to own a regulated rifle in Md.
    If I were you and you really want an HBAR, get a Colt that has "HBAR"engraved on it.

Anything else could cause problems later.

I understand what you're saying, I was wondering how me buying it now would work IF SB281 passes but, in the SB281 faq thread by erwos,

"HBAR AR-15 that I bought as unregulated, but is in a configuration that would be banned (eg, flash hider plus pistol grip). Do I need to register it if SB281 becomes law?
    A: If you want to keep it and keep it in that configuration, yes. Another option is to convert it to an unbanned configuration, in which case you would not need to register it (eg, comp+PG+fixed stock)."

So if i buy it as an HBAR, keep it in the unregulated version of course, I should be perfectly fine.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I understand what you're saying, I was wondering how me buying it now would work IF SB281 passes but, in the SB281 faq thread by erwos,

"HBAR AR-15 that I bought as unregulated, but is in a configuration that would be banned (eg, flash hider plus pistol grip). Do I need to register it if SB281 becomes law?
    A: If you want to keep it and keep it in that configuration, yes. Another option is to convert it to an unbanned configuration, in which case you would not need to register it (eg, comp+PG+fixed stock)."

So if i buy it as an HBAR, keep it in the unregulated version of course, I should be perfectly fine.

You could do this, spend money to "alter" your new gun. Here is my take on this whole "HBAR" deal. You started your post by saying some FFl's will sell you this rifle as "unregulated", but not ALL. That is because this HBAR exemption is full of holes. Nobody agrees what a copy of a "Colt Sporter HBAR" is, hell I know Colt collectors that don't agree what the definition of
    a HBAR is. Is it .750 barrel .926? Is a 16" .750 a HBAR or does it have to be 20"? Bottom line the only one listed on the list is a "Colt Sporter HBAR", if it doesn't say that on your rifle you could get into trouble.(Jail Time)
    I would hate to see a young man mess up his life over an AR, so please think hard about this. If I were you, I would wait until after this blows over, and if the bill passes there will be rifle options available for legal purchase. Companies will figure out what is legal in Md. and sell them, there is always more then one way to skin a cat. At the age of 18, you have a lot of important decisions ahead of you, believe me getting an AR-15 before the Md. ban should not be one of them. Have patience, make informed decisions.

Spec4

Expert Rifleman
    Sep 22, 2009
    Carroll County
    You could do this, spend money to "alter" your new gun. Here is my take on this whole "HBAR" deal. You started your post by saying some FFl's will sell you this rifle as "unregulated", but not ALL. That is because this HBAR exemption is full of holes. Nobody agrees what a copy of a "Colt Sporter HBAR" is, hell I know Colt collectors that don't agree what the definition of
    a HBAR is. Is it .750 barrel .926? Is a 16" .750 a HBAR or does it have to be 20"? Bottom line the only one listed on the list is a "Colt Sporter HBAR", if it doesn't say that on your rifle you could get into trouble.(Jail Time)
    I would hate to see a young man mess up his life over an AR, so please think hard about this. If I were you, I would wait until after this blows over, and if the bill passes there will be rifle options available for legal purchase. Companies will figure out what is legal in Md. and sell them, there is always more then one way to skin a cat. At the age of 18, you have a lot of important decisions ahead of you, believe me getting an AR-15 before the Md. ban should not be one of them. Have patience, make informed decisions.

this is probably the best advice you'll find on this site. :thumbs-up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom