• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Intercooler

Jun 10, 2012
    This may be the wrong place for this so move it if so.

Given the stay on shall issue this happened last night:

All the details aren't out yet but a Father who has some assault convictions beat a man to death in the Elkton Acme last night. Supposedly the girl (his Daughter) was 14YO and it was over a perceived look unprovoked. His face and head were bloodied and beaten in. He said nothing to the girl from reports. Accounts say he was sucker punched into a freezer and that began the end. The MD gun laws make it to where he couldn't carry and who knows if Acme has Security. Will Acme be on the hook for a wrongful death lawsuit?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Took a life over a "perceived look" from a teenage girl. I've wiped stuff from the bottom of my shoes that I have more respect for than I do for this guy. He also has a history of assault. I wonder if all were so petty.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Sad thing is that I shop at this Acme quite often. I'd hate to see or attempted to be blindsided by someone else while picking up cold cuts because of a "perceived" look.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    According to case search he neglected his child support. He will kill someone for allegedly looking at his daughter, but won't lift a finger to provide support. Stay classy you inbred douche.:sad20:

Hdgmedic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2011
    Impressive! A baby-daddy who beats woman and is forced to pay child-support (allegedly, of course!). A fine citizen indeed! I see he is doing his part to put more drain on the system. :sad20:

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    To the initial question of Acme's liability, did they do something a reasonable person wouldn't have done, or did they fail to do something a reasonable person would have done? I don't see it.

Intercooler

Jun 10, 2012
    I don't know and I guess we will see what gets filed. If they overheard it and did nothing you bet they will pay. At the very least the Manager on duty may get fired. I don't know anymore if stores have to provide security or not.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I don't think this story has anything to do with the Second Amendment. To me, it sounds like even if the deceased was carrying, he wouldn't have been able to defend himself having been attacked in such a manner. There has been no indication that he had ever applied for a carry permit and subsequently denied for lack of Good and Substantial reason. Was he considered a prohibited person? I don't know.

It's a tragedy that someone lost their life.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Almost beginning to wonder if the 14yo girl and the 55yo male deceased victim had any possible alledged sexual crossings in the past. If so, I can understand how a mentally short leashed (on a broken short leash) person could react.

If there was nothing in past history regarding the girl and the deceased, fry the perp.

Last edited:

Al's Snackbar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    So the end result is as follow:

One 55 year old male murdered.

One 42 year old male incarcerated for the rest of his life.

One 14 year old female who will either end up in Baltimore's "block" or a burden upon the nation's welfare system.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Will Acme be on the hook for a wrongful death lawsuit?

I don't know and I guess we will see what gets filed. If they overheard it and did nothing you bet they will pay.+++ At the very least the Manager on duty may get fired.*** I don't know anymore if stores have to provide security or not.###

+++ If "they" you make reference to are the employees on duty in the store at the time in question, I don't think "they" are liable for anything in this case providing the attacker was not an employee. If the employees condoned, supported, and rallied around and/or egged on the fight/attack, then yes, "they" could be held responsible to some degree.

*** Why would the "manager on duty" get fired providing he knew nothing of it untill the damage is well underway??? Would seem to me the employee's/manager's responsibilities end at dialing 911 if they are aware of the occurance.

### The store provide security from some alledged nutjob??? How would a store, or the employees on duty thereof, be held ultimately responsible for your safety and well being from an alledged nutjob??? AFAIK, the alledged nutjob in question didn't go running into the store shouting and hollering, "I'm going to kill you, you no good @#$%^&*(@#)^%$#@!!!!!!!!!! Again, your personal safety/security falls into your own hands. Just another note; law enforcement officers are not on duty to garantee your protection, so how can a "retail store" garantee the same???

BTW, IANAL.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    I'm just assuming here, but maybe if he didn't let his 14yo dress like a hooker/pop star she wouldn't get looks from middle aged men.

Intercooler

Jun 10, 2012
    Maybe you are right. Probably still couldn't carry in there anyway even if MD does pass the legislation.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    This guy is a former employee of my wife's family's business (was there quite a while). I used to break his balls pretty steadily, guess I'm glad he didn't beat me to death.

We sold him our hand me down (company) car back in the day. He was a harmless geeky (but BIG) dude, bouncer at local bars over the years.

What a friggin frootloop.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    If anyone remembers OKellys (formerly JJ's), he also worked there on and off at the door and bouncing. He fit the part there, semi-tough guy, needing attention. We were good friends with the owners and at one point spent a fair amount time (hammered drunk) there. I broke his balls pretty often and steady there too,... again,.... not under the faintest assumption he was capable of murder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom