• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VaGunFo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2010
    Virginia
    Hi All,

I'm not sure of current Maryland law concerning transfer of firearms between two private parties. Here in Virginia, all that is required is that the seller verify residency (i.e. see Virginia Driver's License) and has no reason to believe that the buyer is banned from owning firearms. I usually ask the question "Are you a convicted felon or otherwise disallowed from owning a firearm?" If the answer is "No", then I will sell to the person.

Just for my general knowledge, can someone explain the requirements for a personal gun sale in Maryland? Do you have to go through an FFL?

All that said - I have started a new website specifically for such personal firearm transactions. The site is modeled after Craigslist for ease of use. Each state is divided into city-based areas, which will allow for Face-to-Face transactions to occur at the local level.

Please take a moment to check it out at GunDeals.org. Listings are all FREE and include buying, selling and trading of firearms and ammunition as well as posting of get-togethers, dinners and shooting events (camaraderie and all, you know!)

GunDeals.org (Maryland section)

I hope that this turns out to be a useful tool for you.

Thanks, and happy dealing!

Last edited:

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    In Maryland; between two Maryland residents,

FTF sales of unregulated firearms are legal.

Regulated Firearms (handguns, some rifles and shotguns) must go through an FFL or the State Police.

VaGunFo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2010
    Virginia
    Any legal interstate firearm transfer must involve a FFL.

Absolutely - which is where GunDeals.org comes in...locate firearms for sale in your area so that you don't have to concern yourself with Interstate Commerce, which the Federal Government has really gotten a burr in its saddle about lately (Obamacare - Obama is trying to push it as an Interstate Commerce issue in order to secure a legal foothold for it).

But, I guess in Maryland, you can only buy some rifles and shotguns without an FFL and all handgun purchases must go through an FFL...so, it partially doesn't affect you anyway since an FFL already has to get involved.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I like your idea, and good luck with it. I am always in support of someone trying to make an honest buck.

There is one thing I think the internet needs as far as sales of firearms/knives/ammo.This would be an industry friendly version of PayPal. I find myself leery of using a c/c on many firearms sites, as they seem to get "Hacked" more often then normal. I also don't like the idea of a "purchase record" being available for all of these purchases. I recently received a phone call from my cc company inquiring about all the recent online purchases of "sporting goods", so I know someone keeps an eye out. I'm sure someone could build a better "PayPal" that is not anti firearms and equipment.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    I like your idea, and good luck with it. I am always in support of someone trying to make an honest buck.

There is one thing I think the internet needs as far as sales of firearms/knives/ammo.This would be an industry friendly version of PayPal. I find myself leery of using a c/c on many firearms sites, as they seem to get "Hacked" more often then normal. I also don't like the idea of a "purchase record" being available for all of these purchases. I recently received a phone call from my cc company inquiring about all the recent online purchases of "sporting goods", so I know someone keeps an eye out. I'm sure someone could build a better "PayPal" that is not anti firearms and equipment.

If you have an android or iPhone, you can get a Square and handle your own credit card transactions.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    isn't their ftf transactions of long guns if a joining states? I remember seeing something about that at one point

To my knowledge, something like that works only if you buy from a FFL and it's something you could legally buy FTF in your home state. If not, it would have to be shipped to a FFL in your home state.

Either way, all interstate transfers of firearms have to involve a FFL. I couldn't legally drive to another state and buy a firearm from a regular Joe, even if it was something I could legally purchase cash and carry in MD.

VaGunFo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2010
    Virginia
    I appreciate everyone's kind words of encouragement. The site will be nothing unless we get some posts up there...so if you have something that you want to get rid of, or something you're looking for, please put it up there!

Also, please let me know if you want to see categories added or anything else changed that will help the usability factor. I want the site to be useful, and feedback is encouraged!

Here's a direct link to the Maryland section: http://gundeals.org/-21_Maryland/

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    As a member of VA Guntrader, which is already a very active site, I suggest you take a look there, too. And as a member of VA Gunforum, isn't this going to eat into your site's sale section, too?

VaGunFo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2010
    Virginia
    As a member of VA Guntrader, which is already a very active site, I suggest you take a look there, too. And as a member of VA Gunforum, isn't this going to eat into your site's sale section, too?

I know VAGT very well. I've spoken with the owner a couple of times and he seems like a good guy.

GunDeals.org is a nationwide site, not limited to just Virginia. VaGunForum isn't a site made specifically for buy/sell/trade transactions...it's more for firearms discussions with the Marketplace being a side item. So, I'm not too worried about the impact of GunDeals.org on VGOF, and I hope that VAGT continues to also do well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom