• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Does anyone know of a site that sells wood handguards for Yugo underfolders? Also, a site with instructions on how to swap them would be helpful as well. I've checked Google without success. Thanks!

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Unfortunately almost all of the wood Yugo handguards are long gone. Most of what wasn't carved or beat up beyond recovery already went out on the earlier rifles. Ironwood would probably be your best bet. Get some old Romanian wood (as Count Dracula said to Lucy) for around ten dollars from Century and use that for practice. Once you get a little practice staining and finishing wood it gets pretty fun to be able to screw around with color combinations and finishes.

ETA: Centerfire has both upper and lower listed on their website; http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?Category=224&PageAction=VIEWCATS

This guy also makes them, but he aint cheap.

http://gripsnstocks.com/index.html

11624335.JPG

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Perfect. That is exactly what I was looking for. The price is reasonable for just the handguard. Thanks!

Grips and stocks is GREAT I got a set for my WASR-10 and he does an EXCELLENT job. He's a member of the AKfiles. You should email him first and let him know what your looking for. I got all the componets with the pistol grip in a white oak with a gloss. Here is a pic of the stock set. Cost me somewhere around $200 but worth every cent!

WASR_new_handguards.jpg

WASR_pistol_grip.jpg

WASR_new_stock1.jpg

WASR_new_stock_set.jpg

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Well, suck. This notice is posted on his site:

I will not accept any new orders.

After all orders are caught up I will change the way this site works. I will produce sets and offer them for sale with next day Priority shipping. I will not accept custom orders. I will no longer provide staining and high gloss finishing as this is too time consuming.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I ended up ordering a set from Centerfire, but if the photo is any indication then they are a bit beat up. I have never done any sort of woodworking, so hopefully I don't destroy them while attempting to give them a new finish. I'd like to stain them a darker red and give them a high gloss, but I don't even know where to start. :sad20:

I'd like to get the wood to look similar this:

Attachments

• WoodUnderFolderDark.JPG
      WoodUnderFolderDark.JPG
      9.4 KB · Views: 777

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Darker is better for used wood. It hides the defects better. so dark red would probably be your friend for this. Minwax makes a nice mahogany red poly stain/mix/sealant combo. I mix it with a lighter minwax stain like Colonial Maple to get a reddish/brown finish. Here's how my WASR-10 turned out.

akrevised001.jpg

There's links over on gunboards about how to clean used wood up and get the dings put, I'll post some links shortly.

Here's another guy who does good woodwork. He mainly does SKS stocks people send in but I'm sure he'd do your AK handguards for you. Especially for a fellow Navy vet and all. Pretty reasonable too.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=19216.0

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Darker is better for used wood. It hides the defects better. so dark red would probably be your friend for this. Minwax makes a nice mahogany red poly stain/mix/sealant combo. I mix it with a lighter minwax staike Colonial Maple to get a reddish/brown finish. There's links over on gunboards about how to clean used wood up and get the dings put, I'll post some links shortly.

Here's another guy who does good woodwork. He mainly does SKS stocks people send in but I'm sure he'd do your AK handguards for you. Especially for a fellow Navy vet and all. Pretty reasonable too.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=19216.0

Great! Thanks for the help. I appreciate it more than you know.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Here's how i did my red furniture.

I first removed the cosmo with some hot water and soap. I stripped the old finish with some wood stripper, it took 2 or 3 coats to get it 99% off. I mixed some oxyclean with warm water and scrubbed the furniture down to remove the stripper and help brighten up the old dark cosmo stained wood. I set the wood aside to dry for a couple weeks.

When the wood was dry i smoothed it all with 220 grit sandpaper. If you have dent you can try to steam them out with a clothes iron by holding it over a damp towel pressed onto the dent.

I mixed a little red and amber rit dye until i got a color i liked, and cut it with rubbing alcohol to help it dry faster. I applied 2 coats, and after they dried i steel wooled the stocks to lighten them up a little. I then coated it with amber shellec , again cut with alcohol, let it dry and , rubbed with steel wool between coats.

Pic here:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=4713

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom