• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    That's kind of my thought too. I'm excited about the FN. The reviews are solid. I really want to handle one first though.

Dospetz

Feb 4, 2012
    Jessup, MD
    I have never cared for the M4's collapsible stock either; their on every M1014 I have used since MP School and they can be more pain than benefit (namely when trying to get a good stock weld). For my personal M4 I went with the Mesa Tactical Urbino Stock, US made at a price of $150 and 2" less LOP, which works well albeit with more recoil than the fixed stock.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Haven't found an FN yet. What's the deal with the capacity on them? It uses a full length tube but has a lower capacity? Or is it plugged or modded like the M4 to keep you from putting more into it.

OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    Haven't found an FN yet. What's the deal with the capacity on them? It uses a full length tube but has a lower capacity? Or is it plugged or modded like the M4 to keep you from putting more into it.

The answer is that the Tac is an annoying 1.25" too short in the barrel for that seventh shell. The Tactical SLP is 18" long and holds six 2.75" shells in the mag tube. While the standard SLP is 22" with eight in the tube. I think I might eschew the tactical and get the extra two rounds.

FN Tactical SLP
    Barrel Length: 18”
    - Overall Length: 39”
    - Length of Pull: 14.33”
    - Weight: 7.4 lbs. empty
    - Ammunition Capacity: 6+1 with 2-3/4” shells (6 x 2.75 = 16.5)

FN SLP Shotgun
    - Barrel Length: 22”
    - Overall Length: 43”
    - Length of Pull: 14”
    - Weight: 8.2 lbs. empty
    - Ammunition Capacity: 8+1 with 2-3/4” shells (8 x 2.75 = 22)

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    FN SLP = Winchester with another name on it. The SLP is designed with 3-Gun matches in mind, so it runs bird shot as well as slugs. If I had the coin and hadn't picked up my 11-87, I would have snagged one of these.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Remington 1100 Tac-4.

+1

I have one and love it. The bead sight stinks, but I planned to mount a red dot anyway (and the receiver is pre drilled and tapped for a rail) so this was not a concern for me.

Cycles birdshot and LE reduced recoil buckshot reliably.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Just wanted to update the thread with a post on what I decided.

Out of everything that I held(I only actually shot the M2 and 930SPX) it was the FN for the win.
    I heard that 2A Sales had recently sold one so I went by and mentioned I was looking for one. 2A Sales got another one in. Held it. Bought it.

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

IMAG0564.jpg

Range report is that it shoots incredibly well. Cycles like crazy on cheap low brass bird shot and I even ran some sluggers through it.

Very happy.
    Spare red dot lived through the days shooting but it sat kind of high for the low profile cheek piece. Though, I really like the factory sights so it's not really an issue.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Shoot stuff.

3 gun if I can ever make it to one, get into one, or get on a team for one.

That's it? You should really use the gun to it's full potential. It can pull double duty as a behavior-altering tool for boys dating your daughters.

Anyway, I'm glad that you decided not to get the M4. Personally, I think it's just another overpriced, neutered fanboy gun that gets outperformed by cheaper competitors who don't get to be in blockbuster movies and video games. The SLP, however, has impressive street cred among shooters. It's a nice looking gun.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I'd like to shoot comps with it. I'm going to run some turkey loads through it just to see how it patterns. I doubt I will actually take it out but it would be a nice game day backup plan if my turkey gun went down.

I like to consider every firearm a home defense gun if that specific application should arise and I have what I need to make them all useful in such times easy to get to. However if I need to retrieve the shotgun, then I'm out of .45.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I'd like to shoot comps with it. I'm going to run some turkey loads through it just to see how it patterns. I doubt I will actually take it out but it would be a nice game day backup plan if my turkey gun went down.

I like to consider every firearm a home defense gun if that specific application should arise and I have what I need to make them all useful in such times easy to get to. However if I need to retrieve the shotgun, then I'm out of .45.

You should be using the .45 to retrieve the shotgun anyway.... :thumbsup:

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Shot it some today. I really don't remember what I shot through it before. I thought the same winchester 8s that I brought today. Wouldn't cycle winchester #8 today. Ran fine on slugs as it did before and federal 7.5 and remington 6. It was having a hard time running some low recoil sluggers until we cleaned some of the oil off it. It was then running the low recoils well but would miss the last round hold open like every other time.

Nordic +1 extension and extended charging handle came in today. I'm looking forward to Saturday.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    You mind shooting me a PM on what you paid for it. It's time that I introduced another shotgun to my safe. Always wanted m4 but is a bit expensive. Thank you.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Been a proud owner of a Benelli M4 for a couple of years. Following the initial break-in (400 rounds), I shoot anything and I do mean anything through the weapon without a hitch.

Added a US 7rd Titanium Magazine Tube, a matched US Made Follower, and Premium W.C. Wolff feed spring and US hammer (for 922(r) compliant) from carrierComp. Took me about 10 minutes to add the above three items.

With the 7 round magazine I am able to load 9 rounds of 2 3/4" round into the weapon (one in the chamber, one on the lifter and seven in the magazine).

Purchased the weapon from Bud's $1475 (cash, they add 3% for credit cards) - no tax and or shipment charge and $30 for local FFL.

Also added the following:

PDF file of manual: http://www.homedefenseweapons.net/wp-content/uploads/Benelli-M4-USMC-M1014.pdf

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Added a US 7rd Titanium Magazine Tube, a matched US Made Follower, and Premium W.C. Wolff feed spring and US hammer (for 922(r) compliant) from carrierComp. Took me about 10 minutes to add the above three items.[/URL]

What did these items wind up adding onto the cost of the gun?

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I have an M4 and absoutrely love it.
    It eats anything I feed it and is easy to take down & clean.
    I'm thinking of putting an EoTech on it.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Just for the record.....I bought, shot, and love my new FN SLP. It wouldn't cycle Winchester 7.5 shot brand new. Wouldn't cycle low recoil remington slugs at first but did after I wiped some oil off of it.

Ran like a top at the 3 gun match over the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom