• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Americus

Feb 9, 2013
    Hey everyone,

I've been toying with the idea of getting a crossbow once I finish paying off my assorted 10/1 spending.

I've seen crossbows out there for anywhere from $80-$200, and I imagine that they are the bottom of the heap...

But are they any good? Looking for the occasional target bow with maybe some hunting someday.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Ditto on this request. My 20+ year old compound bow finally gave up the ghost (cable snapped and caught me across the face... that was fun... it is obsolete and I can't find a new cable for it anywhere). Am strongly thinking about going cross-bow, but would also like to get some thoughts from folks.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Ditto on this request. My 20+ year old compound bow finally gave up the ghost (cable snapped and caught me across the face... that was fun... it is obsolete and I can't find a new cable for it anywhere). Am strongly thinking about going cross-bow, but would also like to get some thoughts from folks.

My 30 year old compound is still going.

Comparing the Crossbow to a compound.
    • I get better accuracy with a Crossbow than the compound.
    • The Compound is whisper quiet, the Crossbow makes noise.
    • The crossbow is way heavier. The compound feels like a feather in comparison.

If you can wait till after deer season and pick up a used crossbow. You will get a better deal for your money, than paying new for a lesser quality.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    You might find something used that is acceptable for perhaps $300 more or less. As for me, when I went crossbow shopping last year, I ended up with an brand new Excalibur Phoenix Lite Stuff package from Total Sports that I found while serching the internet for just $565. This included a scope and 4 shafts, an attached quiver, cocking aid...basically what you need to get started. These are recurves rather than compound, but that seems to keep the price down a bit and has the added advantage that you can re-string the bow yourself if you need too. Most compounds require careful adjustment when restrung and I wouldn't have likely done that myself. I also purchased 6 additional shafts as well as 6 broadheads...another nearly $100 and a case I found online for $40, plus a stringing aid and a spare bow string for another $50. It does add up pretty fast. I am very happy with it and it is more than the raw basic needed for hunting even giving a 175 lb pull rating. It is very accurate and more than enough for basic deer hunting. I've already destroyed 2 shafts by striking one shaft already in a target with a second shaft. That was at 30 yds. A quick search found a similar deal on Cheaper than Dirt right now.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

did you look on ebay?

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    Check out Natchez - sale on last years Horton crossbows - discounts up to 65%.

Don't know anything about crossbows but wanted to share with you today's email I got from Natchez - might get you a better bow for your budget.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Don't know anything about crossbows but wanted to share with you today's email I got from Natchez - might get you a better bow for your budget.

That's because Horton's went bankrupt and you will not get any kind of repairs on your new crossbow ever.

Last edited:

cww

Jan 28, 2010

I'd be a little hesitant to purchase something like this without a warranty. Horton went out of business and Tenpoint bought the rights, equip etc but have no plans on servicing, maintaining, or honoring horton products at this time.

remember you get what you pay for.

thequietman

- - - - -
    Nov 26, 2011
    Harford County
    I just finished working out the same thing. Hopefully I got it right. I can't say yet because I'm still waiting for my crossbow (should be here on Thurs). I wanted something to try hunting with, so I wanted it to be powerful and fast enough. I didn't want to get the bottom of the line, but I wasn't about to spend a fortune either. I read a lot of reviews and ended up with a Barnett Jackal Hopefully it does what I need. :)

Here is what it all worked out to cost so far:

Barnett Jackal w/ 4x32 scope (no bolts) - $229.99 + $12.50 s/h
    rope cocking devise - $9.99 (free s/h)
    pack of 5 carbon bolts w/ 100 grain practice tips - $35.47 (free s/h)
    lube wax - $9.08 (free s/h)

Total to the door - $297.03

I'm sure someone will chime in about how their XXXXX is much better in this way or that and only cost $500 or $600, but I thought I was doing pretty good at the under $300 price point. :) I'll have to get back to you once I get to shoot it (hopefully before this weekend :D )

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Compound? What's the difference? I'm glad someone started this thread because I'd like to get one. Is BassPro a good place to look for one? I'm limited as to the sites and links I can open.

There are compound and recurve bows and crossbows.

Recurve bows use the strength of the limbs, meaning you have to pull the entire 150 lbs when pulling the string back.

A compound bow uses the strengh of the limbs and a little science in the cams (aka pulleys), that will reduce the 150 lbs as you pull the string back.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    There are compound and recurve bows and crossbows.

Recurve bows use the strength of the limbs, meaning you have to pull the entire 150 lbs when pulling the string back.
    A compound bow uses the strengh of the limbs and a little science in the cams (aka pulleys), that will reduce the 150 lbs as you pull the string back.

While you're technically correct in your statement about recurve crossbows, I use a cocking aid to cock my 175 lb recurve and it's not at all difficult. No way I could pull that hummer back with just my hands.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    we have a Parker bushwacker its a good crossbow...its killed 6 deer so far...so I cant complain. going on its 3rd season I hope to kill a few more animals with it...

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Barnett Ranger (recurve)
    I love mine.

I have an SA Fever 175LB recurve crossbow I bought on a whim last year for $150 on black friday. Here it is for $135 now with bolts, scope, quiver, etc:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/sa-sports-175-lb-fever-crossbow-package.aspx?a=959330

I upgraded my bolts to cabela's carbon fiber ones and hope to get a deer or two this year with it. Higher quality than expected. No, not a top-tier bow, but able to take a deer at 30 yards all day.

The single greatest reason I purchased a recurve is that it is fairly simplistic... I can even restring it myself. The Excalibur (I chose the Phoenix model) was what was recommended to me for a recurve and I haven't been at all disappointed. It isn't, however, an inexpensive crossbow.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I have a 3-4 year old Horton Summit -works great - kills deer and shoots where you aim it-I wouldn't be afraid to buy one even though they are out of business-especially at a steep discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom