• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    I wanted to post my current project that I have going. First big thanks to Sticky for helping me out! I just hopped into the firearms world when the government started talking crazyness, so im still fairly new to the gun world. I've been in the Air Force for 15 years, so I knew my M16..but thats about it. I found the blueprints for this project on google, the guy who reverse engineered this project did a pretty good job, he did miss a couple of dimensions that I had to go back to the original colt bluepint to get. I attached the blueprints to this thread. The other reason I did this was because I wanted something different, yea I could of done a 80% lower (and thats probably next) but I wanted to test myself by creating 11 pieces that bolted together. Overall this project took me 8 days of 8 hours of manual machining..I was taking my time and listening to music. From the pictures you can see that ive only dry fitted things, tonight or tommorow im going to dry fit an upper reciever I have to it. Some may say it looks "freikenstienish"....but I like the simplistic design of it. And yes I know I need to put a serial number on it....im trying to think of my own logo to get engraved on it. This will be a living thread until I fire the weapon if anyone wants to follow it.

Attachments

• AR-15_Scratch-Built_Receiver_Blueprint.pdf
      951.8 KB · Views: 589
    • 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      44.9 KB · Views: 2,245
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      65.1 KB · Views: 2,369
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      68.4 KB · Views: 2,411
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      65 KB · Views: 2,576
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      72.2 KB · Views: 2,275
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      82.8 KB · Views: 2,353
    • AR15_blueprint-Model.pdf
      95.7 KB · Views: 344
    Last edited:

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    don't see anywhere to attach the bolt catch

Think it would be fun to do this - i have a mini cnc mill so i could do it easily enough. would probably use countersunk allen screws for the nice flush look.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Excellent work Bro!! :party29:

Glad to help my fellow Brothers in Arms however I can before the craziness sets in!

Thanks for posting the info, this well may be a project I will take on too.. LOL

Keep us posted as you get it finished up.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    don't see anywhere to attach the bolt catch

Think it would be fun to do this - i have a mini cnc mill so i could do it easily enough. would probably use countersunk allen screws to the nice flush look.
    Pffft.. who needs a stinkin bolt catch anyway??? LMAO

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    Thanks for the compliments! There is no bolt catch on this reciever. The oribginal designer said he didnt want to mess with the bolt catch and thats why he left it out. So to clear the weapon Ill have to pull the bolt back, look in the chamber...and then stick some sort of flag so everyone knows the chamber is cleared. :lol2: There is also no detents for the fire and safe selector. What im going to do is put magnets on the outside of the reciever to hold the selector in safe or fire.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    What I mean by the question is, what gets serialized? Thus, what is the firearm.

I cannot think of the name of the gun, the US military , older, belt fed.. 1919? But the side plate is the part regulated , that plate is the firearm, and gets the serial.

So what part if this would get the serial number and be the firearm?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I like it.

Kinda reminds me of an ak now..

Op... can you make one from a shovel? ;)

I like it too. But since ARs are aluminum maybe a street sign would be a better 'donor' than a steel shovel;)

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    No need for serial number as long as you don't sell it. And you can only sell it if you have a manufacturing FFL.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I wanted to post my current project that I have going. First big thanks to Sticky for helping me out! I just hopped into the firearms world when the government started talking crazyness, so im still fairly new to the gun world. I've been in the Air Force for 15 years, so I knew my M16..but thats about it. I found the blueprints for this project on google, the guy who reverse engineered this project did a pretty good job, he did miss a couple of dimensions that I had to go back to the original colt bluepint to get. I attached the blueprints to this thread. The other reason I did this was because I wanted something different, yea I could of done a 80% lower (and thats probably next) but I wanted to test myself by creating 11 pieces that bolted together. Overall this project took me 8 days of 8 hours of manual machining..I was taking my time and listening to music. From the pictures you can see that ive only dry fitted things, tonight or tommorow im going to dry fit an upper reciever I have to it. Some may say it looks "freikenstienish"....but I like the simplistic design of it. And yes I know I need to put a serial number on it....im trying to think of my own logo to get engraved on it. This will be a living thread until I fire the weapon if anyone wants to follow it.

No bolt hold-open?

ETA: Never mind.

cougar70

Jan 15, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    IANAL but from what I have read repeatedly here at MDS, unless you plan on selling the receiver, then you don't need to put a serial number on it.

But, if you built it with plans to sell it, then I believe you would then fall into the category of manufacturing, then you would have a problem because you need to be licensed.

If you built it for yourself and at some later date decided to sell it, then while you re not a manufacturer, I believe you would then need to serialize the receiver and engrave your info as the one who made it.

Again, IANAL but I think what I've listed is correct but I'm sure someone will correct or agree with my comments.

Brian
    ------------------------------------------------
    “Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American…The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.”
    BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom