• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I purchased some of the TulAmmo SP primers from Midway and loaded approximately 300 rounds of 9mm last evening.
    The first thing that I noted was that every primer in the 100 pack was oriented in the same direction-I didn't have to use the flip tray. The primers seemed very uniform and loaded smoothly via the primer system on my Dillon.
    There were no problems with high primers but I did crush one primer in a crimped primer pocket (my fault, not the primer).
    Today I went to the range and fired 120 rounds though an XDM 9mm and a CZP01. There were no FTFs (no double strikes required) or apparent weak ignitions. The rounds all hit where I aimed them (at 7 yards-not an accuracy test).
    It would be impossible for me to tell the difference between these TulAmmo primers and the CCI 500s which ignited the last batch of 9mm ammo that I shot through these same 2 pistols 2 days ago.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    DocAitch

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I bought a case (1000) LP from the Fredericksburg gunshow and I have spent about 600 of them now. I have no issues with the TA primers at all. Clean, no FTF, no priming issues. Nothing but success with them here. I paid $22.00 for the box and it was an excellent investment. I have used these in both large pistol and .270, .30-06 and .300 win mag reloads. Nothing but fire.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Off topic, but related; I'm very impressed with Tula's steel cased 75gr. .223 and 9x18. Quality stuff, for sure.

ETA: I forgot the reason I wanted to post. Thanks Doc...I'm in the market for SP primers, so I'll take advantage of the nice price point.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Ive had very good results with wolf primers as well lately. Very good quality and half the price of cci

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    I usually have little regard for commie QC, but it seems as if capitalism has made inroads with Tula/Wolf. I used 1k of Tula .45 Auto steel-cased ammo and it was more accurate than Aguila brass, as well as functioning perfectly. I've used 6k Wolf SRP with no problems at all. I've been very impressed, especially considering the price.

FKuehl

Sep 9, 2012
    I loaded 200 rounds of 115g 9mm with federal primers. My Sig liked them fine, but my son using his XDM had several primer strikes without percussion in the first couple rounds and decided to use his factory stuff. Any thoughts? Are the XDMs finicky?

Thanks

RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America
    I loaded 200 rounds of 115g 9mm with federal primers. My Sig liked them fine, but my son using his XDM had several primer strikes without percussion in the first couple rounds and decided to use his factory stuff. Any thoughts? Are the XDMs finicky?

Thanks

Hammer vs Striker fire systems, hammers "tend" to be more "forceful" but my buddies full sized older xd eats anything. Typically they recommend non hard primer loaded ammo (wolf, magtech and a few others) for striker fire guns, but federal is a very light primer so he may have seated the primer too deep or they were contaminated and went bad (too much hand touching with oily fingers can naturalize a primer, or it's an old batch)

And also toss it up to sigs are better than sliced bread, I got the signess too :)

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Has anyone cronographed a pistol handload with TulAmmo primers, to see how they compare to CCI, Rem, Win etc?

Id be curious to know how hot (or not as hot) they are, as well as consistency.

None of the gunshops in my area, and the surrounding area carry them. One shop stated they can get the other brands of primers, for pretty close to the TulAmmo, so they dont bother with getting them, and carry the "better quality" primers.

Mildot

Nov 23, 2011
    Arnold, MD
    Deep Creek Rock,

I haven't tried the Tulammo primers in my pistol reloads but did do a comparsion in 50 BMG this summer with CCI primers at a few different loads, N=30 rounds. I would alternate 5 shot groups, shoot 5 with Tulammo then 5 with CCI, 5 with Tulammo then 5 with CCI, etc.

Average Velocity in tested loads:

Tulammo 2590 ft/sec
    CCI 2515 ft/sec
    which is about a 3% difference.

however Average MOA at 300 yds:
    Tulammo 1.08
    CCI 0.86
    which is abotu a 21% difference.

I was kind of surprised at the MOA difference.

The Tulammo's must be softer also as they seated with less effort than the CCI's.

I still have some Tulammo's and may test run them again sometime. They costs about 40% less.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Just looking at the price, I may have to give these a whirl in my .45ACP and 300BLK loads.

FKuehl

Sep 9, 2012

Thanks
    Seated the primers more carefully (had set them too deep) and reduced the crimp. Problem solved except for a couple stove pipes in 100 rounds. Looking to bump the powder up a tenth of a grain and will try it again. Thanks for the tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom