• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    Hello.
    Just getting into shooting and stumbled onto this board...looks like just the thing.

I used to hunt with dad (Deer, Rabit, Dove) when I was young but that was decades ago. Dug out my old Savage 22 rifle and Mossburg 20 ga shotgun and Remmington 700 from the attic and just bought an M1 Garand and a sig 229 but have yet to fire anything.

Am going shooting this sunday for the first time in years on a friends farm on the Eastern Shore and have been unable to find a place that sells ammo for the M1 Garand. I've been advised against using regular 30-06 Springfield and am in a quandry. I'd really like to shoot the M1. Can anyone suggest where I might buy ammo? M2 Ball FMJ 150 grain in Maryland so I can have it in time for Sunday?

I've called to Bart's, the Armory, Bass Pro and a handfull of other small shops I found on line but no one had what I need.

Any recommendations are appreciated. I'd like to get about 500 rounds or so.

regards,
    John

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Welcome!

In answer to your question - Off the top of my head I can't help there (Don't have a M1 - yet), if you had 2 more days you can find it online, but with the weekend fast approaching I don't think you'd get it in time since ammo is ground ship.

Keep checking back, there's many, many members here, and quite a few may be able to help you out.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    You can use Hornady .30-06. Check on the CMP or Hornady website for the actual name of the ammo. Be warned, it is not cheap!

Best bet is getting it in bulk from CMP!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 108

outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    There's lots I don't know yet and I'm sure lots that I don't know that I don't know.
    Yes I saw CMP has Ammo but I'm not a member of any of their affiliates yet (which they require before they will sell you anything) besides anything I order on line won't be here in time for this weekend. I've found a few on line sources but again nothing I can get before Sunday

I've just found a sponsor to join the Anne Arundel Fish and Game Association which I plan to do sometime this month, just as soon as my sponsor and I can coordinate schedules...

Getting started is a bit confusing...I din't realize how restrictive all the regulations had become and I still haven't figured out how to order ammo...some of the sites say there is a restriction on selling to Annapolis addresses...is this true?

outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    so...newbe question...I assume this is some sort of gun rights legislation (and I'm finding out by experience what a pain it is to buy stuff!) but i have no understanding of what the actual issues are. At the high level can you tell me what 2A is and why I should care (forgive me if I'm asking the obvious but I really don't have any base of understanding)

oh wait...2A = 2nd Amendment...never mind

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    MSI - Maryland Shall Issue, tackles many aspects of MD's more assinine gun laws, one of which is the difficulty of obtaining Carry Permits in the so-called 'Free State', which right now is starting to make some headway. If nothing else, check them out, and go from there. :thumbsup:

Being in Calvert Co. myself, I don't have a great understanding of ammo shipment restrictions to Annapolis, best bet is to have it shipped to a friends address outside of annapolis.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MSI has been the only group in MD pushing for both legal firearm carry in MD and for common sense gun laws. Go to the web site and read up.

It's worth it especially in light of the Federal Court ruling on Monday.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]HOW to APPLY for a MARYLAND Carry Permit[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT][/FONT]

outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    Cheaperthandirt.com shows no shipping restriction to Annapolis for ammo, 100 rounds M2 150 gr Ball - $94.59 before shipping.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM674-1.html

Hey thanks for that...I just spoke to them and they are very nice and will ship to annapolis...the fastest they can get it to me is Monday though. I ordered 200 rounds but I'm still SOL for this weekend.

Any other ideas for something I can get locally?

outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]HOW to APPLY for a MARYLAND Carry Permit[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT][/FONT]

Ok, so I just read the shall carry stuff and seems like the right thing to do. the recommended action is to apply for a MD concealed Carry permit which will likely be denied. so here's my question: if MSP denies a person for a permit won't that denial stay attached to their record and used as an excuse to deny them again in the future, even if Maryland becomes a Shall Carry state? By way of background I'm a federal contractor and have gone through security clearance procedures and one of the key questions the government always asks on forms is "have you ever been denied for this XXX in the past" if the answer is "yes" then you just quadrupled the time it takes and amount of paperwork you'll have to do.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't be the same?

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Hidey Ho from SMIBville. A quick trip to any gunshow should resolve your ammo issues. Now all you need is to stock up on sweet lemonade (official beverage) and enjoy the show.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Welcome from Arnold!

The Annapolis restriction is from an older law that has been over-ridden by state law. Unfortunately, some online vendors do not realize that.

And, sorry, but I don't have a local source for the ammo.

outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom